Another Klon Sighting

sutherland

In the description it reads:

"In the intervening years, I have occasionally built Centaur units and given them to a very close friend of mine so that she could sell them on eBay (to help her get through various financial difficulties), and I intend to continue doing so; as they've always been, those listings will be hers and not mine, and whatever money she derives from those listings will also be hers and not mine."

What a guy. :cry:

Valves-R-Us

He's quite clear with his intentions.
Seems straight up providing information that there are newly built Klons out there from two sources both basically him. The statement they are original and tested by him is the sell. The 'Klon in a Tree' photo layout is a bit different??

SubApathy

Silver Supporting Member
If you go on his Ebay sight, or that Klon listing, read the description. That will clarify things for you. He states he will every so often reissue original units as the demand is still there. He's quite clear with his intentions.
I guess so. It's a win for him or her either way. So that's cool.

Amp_Addicted

I wonder why he's still gooping the circuit.
The real question is he still using the same formulation of magic goop as the originals? He had an issue with the diodes at one point, so you never know. I find the whole Klon conundrum to be infinitely fascinating. Definitely a Dumble like pedal at this point.

Last month he had one listed that went for $2,600
Actually RS#18 went for $3,100.

SubApathy

Silver Supporting Member
The real question is he still using the same formulation of magic goop as the originals? He had an issue with the diodes at one point, so you never know. I find the whole Klon conundrum to be infinitely fascinating. Definitely a Dumble like pedal at this point.

Actually RS#18 went for $3,100.
I was talking about RS#19 :beer

Jazzandmore

Platinum Supporting Member
I can’t imagine why anybody should be bothered by him selling his pedals for whatever he wants. Isn't that how business works.

The complaint that it’s for his benefit makes no sense. I can’t imagine why anybody would work not for their benefit. How many of us are going to walk into our jobs and say “I want to work here for zero benefit, no pay, no health benefits, no vacation, nothing, I just want to work. I don’t believe in financial benefit.”

He is selling a luxury item, it is not necessary for survival. If anybody can justify why any luxury item that they not only don’t need, but don’t even want, should be priced the way they want it to be priced, please do so. Please also justify why one should even care how much luxury items that you don’t have any interest in should cost, when they have no impact on your life in any way.

GreenKnight18

I can’t imagine why anybody should be bothered by him selling his pedals for whatever he wants. Isn't that how business works.

The complaint that it’s for his benefit makes no sense. I can’t imagine why anybody would work not for their benefit. How many of us are going to walk into our jobs and say “I want to work here for zero benefit, no pay, no health benefits, no vacation, nothing, I just want to work. I don’t believe in financial benefit.”

He is selling a luxury item, it is not necessary for survival. If anybody can justify why any luxury item that they not only don’t need, but don’t even want, should be priced the way they want it to be priced, please do so. Please also justify why one should even care how much luxury items that you don’t have any interest in should cost, when they have no impact on your life in any way.
I mean... you are commenting on it, and I am commenting on your comment. :) Klons are just one of those pedals that people are endlessly fascinated with because of all the things that swirl around them. The price, looks, goop, diodes, builder, endless copies, new KTR, text on the KTR, interviews, conspiracies, eBay auctions, endless analysis of best business/capitalism practices, and all the other reasons people, like me, like to talk about them.

At the end of the day, it's an overdrive pedal-- or just a clean boost with this drive knob you're supposed to turn down for a lot of people. Generally I don't find overdrive pedals all that exciting; I've owned and tried quite a number of them, including a silver Klon. I think it's a fine overdrive pedal, and I currently have a KTR. Lately the Plumes has been my preferred OD.

It's just fascinating to me somehow. It's like celebrity gossip for TGP. Endless and mindless entertainment that I can't turn off.

francus1971

i Think that auction is a fair way to sell
when nodbody cares about klon auctions will end at lil priceS, until that, no better way to sell them, and for customers is a way to buy an original one and not a klon(e). So important for a lot of Guitar fetish like us
bidders are not forced to bid, that’s where the market goes
US is where capitalism grew, so why so many rumors?
that’s a simple refleciton of the world where we live in

And i? Bought my klon back in 2003, still happy with it and do not care about current value

Last edited:

Jazzandmore

Platinum Supporting Member
I mean... you are commenting on it, and I am commenting on your comment. :) Klons are just one of those pedals that people are endlessly fascinated with because of all the things that swirl around them. The price, looks, goop, diodes, builder, endless copies, new KTR, text on the KTR, interviews, conspiracies, eBay auctions, endless analysis of best business/capitalism practices, and all the other reasons people, like me, like to talk about them.

At the end of the day, it's an overdrive pedal-- or just a clean boost with this drive knob you're supposed to turn down for a lot of people. Generally I don't find overdrive pedals all that exciting; I've owned and tried quite a number of them, including a silver Klon. I think it's a fine overdrive pedal, and I currently have a KTR. Lately the Plumes has been my preferred OD.

It's just fascinating to me somehow. It's like celebrity gossip for TGP. Endless and mindless entertainment that I can't turn off.
I have a Klon, but not commenting on it. ;) It is strange why people spend so much time wondering about Bill’s finances, his motivations, etc. That’s what I was commenting on. What do we make working at our jobs, what is our motivation for getting a paycheck, who benefits from us working our job, could someone do our job for less, are we dishonest or wrong if we get paid $X, but other people get paid less for the same job at another company?

But you are 100% correct, it’s TGP celebrity gossip. Like all gossip, it starts with individuals elevating someone to “celebrity” status, and then following their lives.

Valves-R-Us

Guess you have to ask yourself, if you had a pile of castings, cases of pots, knobs, diodes, etc., um, yeah, slipping out a few choice pieces to the collector market is not unlike what any artist does. The parts alone are a veritable treasure to some. So sell them for huge profit or junk the parts. Tough one!

Trending Topics