Another Klon Sighting

Valves-R-Us

Guess you have to ask yourself, if you had a pile of castings, cases of pots, knobs, diodes, etc., um, yeah, slipping out a few choice pieces to the collector market is not unlike what any artist does. The parts alone are a veritable treasure to some. So sell them for huge profit or junk the parts. Tough one!

BenTobith

Symmetrically Hard Clipped
Gold Supporting Member
Makes little sense why he didn't turn this into a normal business like every other successful pedal maker. Also, can we all stop pretending Germanium is hard to come by? ;)

Mr Fingers

I'll bet that 99% of Finnegan/Klon bashers would be in their garages right now, cranking out $5K Klons, if they had created the pedal. Bill has had innumerable opportunities to just pursue total greed and has not done so, even as the copyists -- the true greedheads -- use his achievement to make their own load of cash. I have no idea why people continue to get wound up about this. There's a market, and by now it's full of alternatives, so there's something for everyione and nobody has to spend any amount of $$$ if they don't want to. I've had a gold Klon and now use a KTR. They're both great. Some of the cheap alternative versions are reportedly excellent. Do what you want. If you want to crap on someone for profiteering, may I suggest targeting the Fender Custom Shop, where you can get what used to be a standard Strat, but now for $3K?

jnepo1

Silver Supporting Member
I have a Klon, but not commenting on it. ;) It is strange why people spend so much time wondering about Bill’s finances, his motivations, etc. That’s what I was commenting on. What do we make working at our jobs, what is our motivation for getting a paycheck, who benefits from us working our job, could someone do our job for less, are we dishonest or wrong if we get paid $X, but other people get paid less for the same job at another company?

But you are 100% correct, it’s TGP celebrity gossip. Like all gossip, it starts with individuals elevating someone to “celebrity” status, and then following their lives.
I supposed I used the wrong word when I said "benefit", MAYBE. But if you've read previous threads, and we know you have, he was and continues to build new Klons for the benefit of his friend and she auctions them under her own EBay account. In this case, Bill F is selling his current reissue under his own account to his "benefit" and not hers. If anyone can afford to win the auction, that's great. And I guess that is a luxury if you have the money to bid on the Klon knowing you're going to spend several thousand dollars.

jnepo1

Silver Supporting Member
Makes little sense why he didn't turn this into a normal business like every other successful pedal maker. Also, can we all stop pretending Germanium is hard to come by? ;)
I know you've only been on this forum a short time now. But Bill F has stated he didn't want to be making big production runs of the Klon, and it's why he went with the KTR to be produced. He just didn't want to be enamored with the handwiring and wanted to streamline his production. So, now these are limited reissues he will put out when he wants to with no anticipated releases or numbered runs.

Jazzandmore

Gold Supporting Member
I supposed I used the wrong word when I said "benefit", MAYBE. But if you've read previous threads, and we know you have, he was and continues to build new Klons for the benefit of his friend and she auctions them under her own EBay account. In this case, Bill F is selling his current reissue under his own account to his "benefit" and not hers. If anyone can afford to win the auction, that's great. And I guess that is a luxury if you have the money to bid on the Klon knowing you're going to spend several thousand dollars.
Thing is, few here are pro musicians making a living only playing music. And as with all hobbies, there is a range of prices for “gear”. People that fish can spend a lot of money on fishing gear, including buying boats. That just cracks me up. They spend money to “outsmart” a fish so that they can catch it and tell others about it. That’s like bragging about outthinking a baby. Seriously it’s a fish. Last time I checked they weren’t known for much on the intellectual side.

Anyway, sorry about that :D

But yeah, car guys, golfers, heck even folks that just love good alcohol and cigars, all spend lots of money on their hobbies.

Colamander

Pinnacle guitar pedal builder is instead of having to sell 100 pedals and earn $50 on each one, you sell one pedal and make $5k. Gotta make sure the hype has built up enough first though.

Jazzandmore

Gold Supporting Member
The hype is not of my doing blah blah blah but the taking advantage of said hype is of my doing blah blah blah
Taken advantage of? Please explain this.

A grown adult has a job, they make money and they spend that money on whatever they want to. Somehow if they buy a guitar pedal for a price they are willing to pay, they are being taken advantage of? In that case every single purchase a person makes of a nonessential item, food/clothes/shelter, is them being taken advantage of.

The day gear designers, and gear is a luxury item not required for survival, force people at gunpoint to buy gear, then they will be taking advantage. There are a lot of klones and lots of people buy them. There are very few people buying $3000 pedals. Its a choice, I realize the ability to make a choice seems foreign to some people, but unless one is purely driven by impulse and cannot rub two brain cells together to make a conscious decision, then choosing to buy a pedal, any pedal, is not being taken advantage of, it’s a choice.

Last edited:

chankgeez

People that fish can spend a lot of money on fishing gear, including buying boats. That just cracks me up. They spend money to “outsmart” a fish so that they can catch it and tell others about it. That’s like bragging about outthinking a baby. Seriously it’s a fish. Last time I checked they weren’t known for much on the intellectual side.
I think the fishies just "outsmarted" you. ;)

Spider Mark

Some of the best fishing stories are about the one that got away, or capsizing without a hint of a bite in croc-infested waters, or the shark that took the snapper when you were about to bring it on board.

“Outsmarting” a fish? My friends buy boats and rods and hand-made flies etc. to have fun with friends. If you are making money from fishing you either run the Marlin Boat or are hauling in a big catch with nets.

If you have ever caught a Marlin, you know what a fight that is!

I spent rather a lot on a skeet-shooting Barretta for having fun with friends. Am I/we trying to outsmart a clay pigeon?

I have a KTR, but if I won the lottery I’d try to bag a Centaur. Go Bill!