Another Low-Watt amp head thread

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs' started by JWLee, Aug 1, 2019.

1. JWLee

JWLee Supporting Member

So I'm wondering what's the best low watt amp head (1~10) for

Marshall
    Fender
    Vox
    Hiwatt

's clean tone? Usage for clean pedal platform in the House. No Breaking-up Rock'nRoll

I'm seeing Reeves right now and it looks good..

2. Roccorobb

Roccorobb Member

One amp for ALL those? Mmmm, amp Sims?

3. gearscrubs

gearscrubs Supporting Member

Mesa TA-15 will hit most of those. Probably better off going with a modeler, though, if it's only for home use. Even low wattage tube amps are loud.

Neff, TaoInMotion, Al Rose and 2 others like this.
  4. JWLee

JWLee Supporting Member

for each of the amps.

5. gearscrubs

gearscrubs Supporting Member

[​IMG]

burner likes this.
  6. scott58

scott58 Member

I've got the combo, but my Laney lionheart L5 has great cleans. I'd certainly check out the head.

JWLee likes this.
  7. rickt

rickt Gold Supporting Member

Reeves has some nice amps and options. I have a Reeves Custom 10HG and a Reeves Custom 12PS. The Power Scale (PS) option will give you more versatility with respect to headroom at lower volumes but it's not going to give you the pristine cleans of the higher wattage models. A Space Cowboy (50-watts) with the PS option might be what you are looking for.

JWLee likes this.
  8. trumpus

trumpus Supporting Member

Following.

What about a Dr. Z M12? I had this on my list but when they stopped making them, the used market seems to have dried up!

JWLee likes this.
  9. LaXu

LaXu Member

If your main concern is clean tone, why low watters in the first place?

burner and Vaibhav Joshi like this.
  10. JWLee

JWLee Supporting Member

I can't use 100 watt amp to bother my neighbor. I think 5 watt to 10 watt is what I can use.

11. JWLee

JWLee Supporting Member

How's the 10HG? I found some review that 10HG does not have any clean- tone..

12. LaXu

LaXu Member

10W is half as loud as 100. You need an amp with a good master volume.

13. rickt

rickt Gold Supporting Member

I like the 10HG, but it is not going to give you a pristine clean tone. Depending on the guitar, you can get some nice clean and dirt tones just by riding the volume knob on the guitar. But, you have to adjust the amp gain and master volume to get the amount of clean vs grit that you desire. It is a fun amp. I use it mostly with S-type guitars and P90/HB Springer Seraph Half Breed.

14. Vaibhav Joshi

Vaibhav Joshi Member

I'm thinking on the same line.
    Cleans for home playing. I think anything at 10W or above will stay clean at bedroom levels (80 dB/ 4 ft in front of the amp).
    Though I wanted to understand the difference a 10W & 30W amp cleans. Bigger amps should have tighter, fuller tone as i understand.
    I've also been suggested a master volume amp, especially to play at home.

In Solid state, I would prefer a bigger amp for better cleans.

15. LaXu

LaXu Member

There's a marked difference in low end and dynamics. My Bogner goes between 15/30W "low voltage" mode and 23/45W half/full power mode and has a stellar master volume. My favorite settings even at home are the full 45W for overdrive and the 30W "low voltage" mode for cleans because it introduces tube rectifier-ish sag to the thing, adding more compression for easier playability. The higher power just gives me a bolder, tighter response to the thing even when the measured volume is matched with a decibel meter.

For me an amp around 30-50W with a good master volume is the sweet spot in terms of how I like my amp to punch and how I like it to feel when playing and at the same time not having to worry about it not being able to stay clean enough when needed.

The London Power Power Scaling used by Reeves should allow you to get exactly the sound you need at any volume, I used to have a 15W amp with that tech and it worked well...wish I had kept it. There is no substitute for volume though as that makes any amp sound better.

16. Vaibhav Joshi

Vaibhav Joshi Member

Thanks, LaXu!
    I have no experience with tube amps, actually. I use pedals with SS amps & can understand headroom more than clipping, it works for me too.
    Your info is very helpful.
    I think a lot of people prefer smaller amps for the ability to crank them at reasonable volumes. I would prefer a master volume amp as well.
    I can relate to what you describe about your preferred settings. A little compression & sag helps control the dynamics in the cleans, in a good way.
    Overall I would also prefer bigger amps with a master volume, even for overdrive.
    Considering how the market is pushing you towards smaller amps, your post was a breather & I'll rethink about this. The price differential between a 20 vs 30 W amp is not a deal breaker most of the times.
    I totally agree with the volume aspect. I've tried a lot to have a decent tone at lower volumes. If you just raise the volume, a lot of tone issues just disappear.
    But I have an upper limit of 85 dB or so.
    How would you compare your 15W amp which was sold VS the bogner ?
    I guess the power scaling helped the 15W to get really quiet & it may be having a different application. But what would you prefer for home playing?
    I'm thinking of 20-22 W amp as the balanced power to choose, for similar reasons you mentioned.
    Please share any thoughts you may have.
    Cheers!

17. Spider Mark

Spider Mark Member

My Orange Rocker 15 Terror at .5w into a 150w 1x12 will get me arrested and my neighbours upset. Loud or what?!? Hell, a Hotone 5w SS head into that 1x12 and I can't put the volume above 11 o'clock.

Into a PPC112 60w the Terror sounds so sweet and is useable at 15w and 7w, with care.

Vox AC10C - loud as. I have had the volume above 12 o'clock once, when I took it to a friend's farm out of town.

Marshall DSL5C - more manageable volume (on the Clean channel) but ... a bit meh.

Fender Blues Jr - more manageable volume than the Vox, but can get loud.

Amp watts aren't always the issue with decibels, esp with tubes.

Last edited: Aug 2, 2019
    Vaibhav Joshi likes this.
  18. LaXu

LaXu Member

The misconception is that you can crank a 20W amp more but that's not really true, the difference in master volume setting vs a 50W might be something like 1-2 notches to reach the same volume. Likewise master volume settings between amps cannot be compared because the tapers of the pots and the implementations of the master volume might be different. I've played amps that reach 100 dB @ 1m when they are on 1 compared to my Bogner which gets into that territory somewhere around 4. That does not mean my Bogner isn't as loud, just that it has more control over both the high and low volumes.

My only beef with the 15W Stephenson I had was that it had too much sag for the hard rock stuff I was playing at the time. Otherwise I loved its sound and the power scaling worked really well. I have no complaints about my Bogner other than it's a large and not so lightweight amp.

19. placebo62

placebo62 Supporting Member

Aiken Tomcat, 12w but built in attenuator. Marshall meets Vox cleans.

20. Calebz

Calebz Member

[​IMG]
    Vox
    Fender
    Marshall
    Orange
    Mesa Rectifier

And they recently announced an Engl Fireball clone.

Sorry, no hiwatt.

They really should just put these things in cereal boxes or something. It would be like being a kid again and trying to collect them all.

gearscrubs and Vaibhav Joshi like this.