Another Mesa question; does anyone else here still use the Rectifier series?

papersoul

Silver Supporting Member
I can't get a lead tone I like out of them otherwise they would be perfect for me.

LesPaulMan

I can't get a lead tone I like out of them otherwise they would be perfect for me.
I know we've PM'd each other on Recto tones, but I've found a really cool lead tone in my new "MultiWatt" Rectifier.

Channel 2/Modern mode/100 watt setting/Spongy switch on/EL34's/4-12 using Celestion Greenbacks.

The key was using the spongy setting with the modern mode. It cuts down the aggressive nature while still retaining clarity. These amp settings sound exactly like my '82 JCM 800 2204 with a Soldano Hot Mod... my bench mark for hard rock Marshall tones.

Ides of March

I just bought the reborn 3 channel DR about 4 months ago. I mainly use the clean channel with pedals. I haven't figured out the 2nd and 3rd channels, esp with the different settings, el34's 6l6's, raw, vintage, modern....??? But I was saying in another thread how I almost traded it in for a used JCM 900 last night but the JCM sounded terrible. I didn't like it at all, but do love the settings and being able to personalize the DR. And I don't play metal exclusively but play mostly grunge, alternative, blues, hard rock stuff. Still searching for settings and how it sets with my pedalboard. I almost killed off the whole pedalboard except for eq,tuner,wah, and 1 distortion. I still am searching for a good boost or od that goes with the DR. I have the Green Rhino and I am still working with the settings on that.

Jerry Lundegaard

I just bought the reborn 3 channel DR about 4 months ago. I mainly use the clean channel with pedals. I haven't figured out the 2nd and 3rd channels, esp with the different settings, el34's 6l6's, raw, vintage, modern....??? But I was saying in another thread how I almost traded it in for a used JCM 900 last night but the JCM sounded terrible. I didn't like it at all, but do love the settings and being able to personalize the DR. And I don't play metal exclusively but play mostly grunge, alternative, blues, hard rock stuff. Still searching for settings and how it sets with my pedalboard. I almost killed off the whole pedalboard except for eq,tuner,wah, and 1 distortion. I still am searching for a good boost or od that goes with the DR. I have the Green Rhino and I am still working with the settings on that.
If you have a good lead tone by using a pedal on the clean channel, great. Now, just dial in the other two channels for varying degrees of overdrive and/or crunch for rhythm and leads. I never had any problem dialing my Recto in for killer overdrive sounds. That's what they're for, and now they have the added bonus of the great clean channel.

papersoul

Silver Supporting Member
All I can say is what my ears and hands notice....I love the leads I got out of my Egnater, my Marshalls and my current Bogner. The Boogie is a different kind of lead, I am just more a Marshall guy. I have a friend who hates Marshalls, but lives by his Boogies and he is a lead guitarist. We are all different..

NorCal_Val

I have a '97 Tri-Rec that I've used for rock, metal,
jazz, blues & punk(y). The only sound I've not been
able to get out of it was a good clean sound. It just won't
do a good clean tone, at least for me it won't.:crazy

sickboy79

A good buddy of mine that I used to play with uses both a Single Recto and an older Triple. He get's AWESOME tone from them. Not your typical Recto tone. Just good old RnR tone that just kicks.

obasnoj

Yes thank goodness for that!

I wonder if that horrible fad was fostered by the Rectifier amp? Or did Mesa/Boogie just capitalise on the fab by doing mass-marketing of the Recto in association with that....stuff?
mesa boogie capitalized on the fad.
its been said that mesa re-voiced these amps to cater to it. whether true or not, i can't say

somedude

mesa boogie capitalized on the fad.
its been said that mesa re-voiced these amps to cater to it. whether true or not, i can't say
I think it was more of a fluke than anything.

The original Dual Rectifiers were very bright and people would run them with their presence quite low... so Mesa darkened them up and in the process it loosened up the amp.

The common complaint with the revised 2 channel Recto is that it was dark and didn't cut through in a live setting.... so Mesa brightened it up when they produced the 3 channel.

The common complaint with the 3 channel is that it wasn't as dark and smooth as the 2 channel... so Mesa made the Roadster/Road King darker and smoother.

The common complaint with the Roadster/Road King is that it's too dark and not as aggressive as the 3 channel Recto...

Go figure.

papersoul

Silver Supporting Member
This is an interesting thread. Through the years I have owned various Mesa Dual rectifiers, a two channel, an early '00s three channel and then a 2011 Rebordn Dual Rec which I think was my favorite due to the improved tone and great clean, plus better loop and better low volume tones.

One thing I have always loved about Dual Recs is the massive rhythm tones it is capable, they are breathtaking but then they are thin and non satisfying when playing leads. :(

That was walways my problem. With effects, delay, wah, etc I could get something passable.

Maybe I should have put more time into finding an OD or Tube Screamer to go with my Rectifiers.

I like owning different amps for variety and right now I have a 20th Anniversary Bogner Shiva with El34s and a PWE Event Horizon. Both are very satisfying and have that thick, chewy lead tone I love.

But....sometimes I just want that huge, Mesa Rectifier rhythm, and yes the Rectifiers, especially the new ones will do just about any style from clean to blues to classic rock to metal. Maybe as a third amp in my collection I could get the Reborn Dual Rec to work for me if I start gigging again. I am just tryting to get back into playing by helping a friend with a muscial project. But, having a Dual Rect for some gigs could be a nice change of pace over my thick British style amps.

After tryings Fruettes, the Mesa Mark V, etc, I realized nothing did IT like the Rectifier.

Might have to check one out again. I just don't enjoy em as much for soloing.

I wish someone made an amp that could do both well, thick, chewy leads and massive, wide Rectiifer rhythm without having to go modular or digital.

strata189

I dime the mids and back the gain down on the red channel for leads. Nothin' thin about it.
'93 REV F - the most versatile amp I've ever owned.

papersoul

Silver Supporting Member
I thought my Rectifiers sounded horrible diming the mids, and felt worse. The mids make the amp sound and feel very stiff on the Rectifier. I prefer the thick, chewy, elastic goodness I get with my Bogner or PWE. :).
Most Mesa's require too much fine tuning for my personal tastes, except for the Electradyne and maybe the Royal Atlantic. My favorite amps have been the ones where I can just set all knobs at noon and it sounds great. With Rectifiers, I am constantly fiddling with the controls to get what I want, screw that.

Miles

I don't think there is any such thing as "too late" to get an amp. They're not a fad, just an extension of your instrument.

That said, I've always thought the Recto series were some of the most underrated and versatile amps out there. When I say underrated, they get that bad association with nu-metal and modern cock-rockers.

However, I think they're juicy, clean or mean, and totally well built amplifiers. I loved mine - I owned a 3 channel dual recto head and it was probably the best workhorse I've owned. The only reason I no longer own one is due to better PAs in the clubs I play. A 100 watt head just isn't pragmatic to those scenarios and I'd never be able to really let it open up. That said, you should try the mini recto too!

Kim Thayil, Dave Grohl, Ed O'Brien, Jeff Buckley, the list goes on... These players all use(d) recto series amps at one point or another and sounded KILLER.

papersoul

Silver Supporting Member
Only issue I ever had with them is soloing on them is not easy, they are not as fun as soling on a Marshall or Bogner or Soldano, etc. They feel too stiff and icey for leads, not chewy and syrupy.

I agree about the 100 watt thing. The amps I own now are all 50 watters and have tremendous master volume circuits for lower volumes playing. The amps I gofor now have to work equally well in the bedroom as the stage.

loki1982

I run my roadster at 50 Watts on all the channels, I even have the outside two power tubes pulled, also pulled the 22k bias resistor and replaced it with a 50k pot and 47k resistor for an adjustable bias. Also use a gristle king to push the preamp a little harder when I need. This setup gives me the most usable sounds of any amp I have ever used. And best of all it plays nice with single coils, humbuckers, mini-hums, p90s, and my telemawhacker... what more could a Guy ask for?!?!

axpro

I had one for a while, was never a big fan though... the "recto sound" wasn't what i was looking for, better with EL34's but not for me....

THE STILETTO ACE on the other hand (still a Mesa Product lol.) IS the BEST DAMN MARSHALL HEAD THAT MARSHALL DIDN"T MAKE! I've had a few of them over the years, but DAMN!!!

ljdsam

Not a huge fan of the Recto series, but they're not bad by any means. If you like 'em and can afford 'em, use 'em.

Trending Topics