Another mic for my Mbox

Discussion in 'Recording/Live Sound' started by Grant Ferstat, Feb 12, 2008.

1. Grant Ferstat

Grant Ferstat Some guy in obscure bands in a far away place... Silver Supporting Member

Hey folks.

At present all my rough demos are done track at a time with my Rode K2>Mbox>MacBook Pro set-up. It's a deliberately small and moveable set-up.

Recently I've found a need to record acoustic guitar and vocals live for capturing a certain vibe though so I'm looking for a second mic to plug into my Mbox to get the acoustic guitar job done-probably a small diaphram condensor.

The slight limiting aspect as far choice goes though is that seeing as the valve K2 has it's own power supply rather than requiring phantom power I won't be able to turn on the global phantom power on the Mbox to power mic 2.

Ideas?

2. Grant Ferstat

Grant Ferstat Some guy in obscure bands in a far away place... Silver Supporting Member

Anyone?

I am presuming that I would risk damaging the K2 if I did indeed turn on the phantom power on the Mbox.

3. MrNick

MrNick Member

I use a rode NT1-A on acoustic with nice results.

4. Grant Ferstat

Ahh yeah but the NT1-A requires phantom power so that doesn't solve my problem. I either need something that can run off a battery or perhaps there may be a different kind of mic that might work well on acoustic that doesn't require phantom power?

5. JackD

JackD Gold Supporting Member

Check out the audio technica site--they seem to have a lot of stuff at reasonable prices. I hear good things about the AT 825

6. localmotion411

localmotion411 Supporting Member

I've got the same problem with my M-Audio ProjectMix I/O. It has one switch that engages the phantom power for all the inputs. I'm hoping that even with phantom power engaged, if using a dynamic mic which requires no power, that it will act as if it wasn't powered.

I would like to run a dynamic and a condenser like you are trying to do, and it would be great if someone could chime in who knows about this stuff.

7. Grant Ferstat

Yep that's crux of the problem, not so much what is a good cheap acoustic guitar mic but what will sound good on acoustic guitar while not requiring I use the phantom on the Mbox.

OR alternatively does anyone know can I switch on the phantom for a second mic and not risk blowing my Rode K2 if it's plugged in at the same time? The K2 has it's own power supply and doesn't require phantom power.

8. wolf9309

wolf9309 Member

You won't risk damaging the K2 if you turn on phantom, it'll be fine.

9. localmotion411

localmotion411 Supporting Member

Good to hear. Anyone else have first-hand experience?

I'm going to try using an SM57 in input one and a Sterling Audio ST77 condenser in input two on guitar cab clean, with the phantom power engaged for the condenser and see if I have any problems with the SM57 or any problems in general, and I'll let you know what happens, Grant.