Another MIJ in my future?

Discussion in 'Guitars in General' started by Gasp100, Sep 28, 2008.

1. Gasp100

Gasp100 Silver Supporting Member

I'm having a difficult time finding and deciding on the right maple necked Tele. I've been through a bunch lately and probably don't NEED one... but, you know how it goes.
    Anyway, the price discrepancies between old/new Tokai's and Greco's especially are throwing me all off. That coupled with the fact that many sellers don't really know exact model numbers and such, is making it a tough decision.
    I'm not ruling out another LP style (just traded away really nice Edwards Gold Top :cry:) For example, there is a nice looking 2005 Tokai Gold Top on the bay for about $675? Why does that seem cheaper than so many others I have seen? Then everyone talks about older Burny's (Fernandes, right?) I routinely see them for $500-650... is that right? Or am I looking at the wrong models?
    What about the Tele's like the Breezysounds and such... they are supposed to be great, right? Just a little confused, that's all. The MIJ/CIJ Fender's are a known commodity to me but I guess with the other "off" brands it might be a crapshoot? Is it best to just assume older is better when it comes to Burny, Tokai, Greco, Edwards? :dunno
    I guess it becomes a little more dicey when you get into that gray area of $600-800 where some used MIA guitars start to come into the mix as well. G&L's come to mind as well as Hamer's.

2. gerryguitar

gerryguitar Member

I picked up this 80's Fernandes maple neck tele a few weeks ago for £250.. (about $500) and the quality is fantastic... as good as ANYTHING I've seen for a long time...

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

if you can get these guitars now I'd go for it... they are amazing..:D

3. Gasp100

Nice one, I had a mid 90's Fernandes strat (same style headstock) that was a little more worn than that one but played and sounded great. I guess I'd like to go really early this time (80's?) with any MIJ I grab.

4. kherman

kherman Member

Burny also has a MIC line.
    Tokai also has a MIK line.

Bothe of which are less expensive than their MIJ brothers.

The MIK Tokai will usually have a extra little nub in the middle of the top of the headstock.

5. Gasp100

I just grabbed this Tokai "Breezysound" off of the bay. I'm a big MIJ fan as stated above, I wanted a maple neck Tele and I'm a sucker for worn in '50's style Tele's so I'm hoping this does the trick! I joined the Tokaiforum (cool place) and it seems this is probably a TE50 <vs. the TE70 the seller claims> but that is okay. I think the spaghetti logo indicates this is likely around '81 which is cool.

[​IMG]http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&rd=1&item=300261933725&ssPageName=STRK:MEWN:IT&ih=020

Pics:

http://i249.photobucket.com/albums/gg225/Gasp100/Body.jpg
    http://i249.photobucket.com/albums/gg225/Gasp100/Full-1.jpg
    http://i249.photobucket.com/albums/gg225/Gasp100/breezysound.jpg
    http://i249.photobucket.com/albums/gg225/Gasp100/bridge.jpg

6. telecopter

telecopter Member

I recently got a MIC Squier Vintage Vibe Tele and absolutely love it. I just ordered another and am planning on putting a humbucker in the neck position on that one.

7. hank

hank Member

Gasp, your original post on this has a LOT of questions. Let's take it slow and easy (as Tina Turner said). What's your base line question? What's most important here, price, quality, history, etc.?

Let me add that your questions and concerns cannot be answered in one or two paragraphs. The history of MIJ's is pretty complicated ... and The Tokai Forum is a great place to learn.

8. Gasp100

Hank, I was looking at that killer Tokai LP you had but I couldn't stretch quite that far... I'm a Tele guy so I grabbed a Tokai Breezysound off of the bay. Pics are a few posts above your post. Any thoughts? Not sure if your Tokai expertise apply's to the Tele's and Strats as well. Thanks!

9. hank

hank Member

Gasp, I was also looking at that Tele. Nice, but most-likely mistated model, as you say. Nevertheless, a great bargain.

I've got a couple of 1980 Tokai Springy Sound Strat clones .... the best for me. I want a TE-80 Breezysound at some point.

I'm not an expert but a real enthusiast on these MIJ's. Not a Gibson or Fender basher by any stretch of the imagination.

btw, that Fernandes above is MIGHTY FINE! :drink

10. DrumBob

DrumBob Gold Supporting Member

I have been pretty hot for a Japanese Les Paul lately. Just waiting for the right one to appear.