Another Muff Thread - Suggestions?

Discussion in 'Effects, Pedals, Strings & Things' started by gtr player, Feb 3, 2015.

1. gtr player

gtr player Member

Hi all,
    I have lurking on the search engine and have narrowed my muff pedal search to these pedals:
    1. Stomp Under Foot Ram's
    2. Blackout Effectors Musket
    3. Earthquaker Hoof
    4. Mojo Hand Iron Bell

Yes, I am looking to get a Gilmour tone, but I would also like to play some riffs, too, so I need something that can work for rhythm also, and not get too muddy - need some clarity, too.

I have a Mini Germ Face Face, which I love, but need a muff pedal, too.

I know there's been a lot of threads re: this, but if anyone can chime in on these 4, with reasons why I should pull the trigger, let me know - I need some expert opinion.

I've watched a lot of videos, and would like to pull the trigger on a $150-199 pedal. Over that, and that's out of my current budget.

Thanks in advance, any advice appreciated.

2. Turnipfarmer

Turnipfarmer Member

Skreddy P19 will make you happy.

3. gtr player

gtr player Member

Thanks, hadn't thought about the Skreddy. Might be beyond my budget - trying to fight off the urge to spend more than allotted funds (tax refund).

4. Jet Age Eric

Jet Age Eric Member

Musket doesnt' get clean but DOES get super articulate when you crank the Pre knob (and EQ properly). AMAZING pedal. -E

5. muletrane

muletrane Supporting Member

I always look to SUF for my Muff needs. It's all he does really. He's gotta be doing something right :)

6. Yossi

Yossi Member

Plus 1

I can't get emuff of them!

7. Trevorsnackson

Trevorsnackson Member

I love my Iron Bell. I constantly change around the settings because I've found so many different tones I liked. Great lead tones for songs like Mother, or more rythym stuff like In The Flesh

8. niassist

niassist Garage Rock Star Supporting Member

Mojo Hand Iron Bell all the way. I get KILLER LEAD AND RHYTHM tones out of it. Also, it really plays well with boost pedals. I'll hit it with my Mojo Hand Rook if I want something extremely over the top and it responds in spades. Iron Bell all the way.

9. Stratburst70

Stratburst70 Member

Some very good choices there. Here are my thoughts on the pedals I'm familiar with:

- Stomp Under Foot Ram's Head. Matt Pasquerella himself recommends that, if you want the Ram's Head sound to work better in a band situation, the Violet Menace is a better option. For myself, I really like the Hellephant, his take on a Fuzz Face circuit.

- EQD Hoof. I really like their Dream Crusher (sensing a theme here?). I've heard nothing but good things about the Hoof (and its sibling, the Cloven Hoof). It's a shame because the wife's giving me the hairy eyeball when it comes to my recent pedal purchases (I went kinda nuts this past year). :hide2

10. gtr player

gtr player Member

Thanks everyone, really great suggestions.
    I just recently discovered SUF pedals while searching for Muff clones. If anyone has more to say re: these, please chime in.
    Also, I'm playing a Fender DRRI, so if anyone has any specific advice for muff pedals for this amp, please let me know.
    Looks like Iron Bell and SUF are the recs here.

11. Nystuss

Nystuss Member

Musket. Do it. Any Muff tone you've ever heard (except op-amp) in one normal sized box. You want it. No, you need it.

12. gtr player

gtr player Member

I was leaning toward this one, actually.
    Is this pedal that tweakable? So russian muff and ram's head tones?

13. nl128

nl128 Silver Supporting Member

The Hoof is great. Ive had it on y board for a few years.

The most important thing on a muff type pedal IMO anyway is a mid control. It gives any muff type pedal many more uses.

14. FuzzFaceJ

FuzzFaceJ Member

Contact the dude at Make Sounds Loudly, he can get you exactly what you want and cheaper. I got a custom Russian style big muff from him, with about twice as much gain per my request. I have used all the big boys, from SUF to Wren and Cuff to the Musket and I dig the Make Sounds Loudly pedal more.

15. Nystuss

Nystuss Member

Easily. It essentially has a three band EQ, so you can adjust exactly the tone you want. Scooped russian, mid-boosted Gilmour, you name it. As far as gain goes, for Rams head tones, keep the fuzz below noon and the pre above it. For smooth russian tones, switch those.

16. zerorez

zerorez Supporting Member

Another good BMP builder in your price range is Vick Audio, check out the classic reproductions, no affiliation.

http://www.vickaudio.com/

17. Scott57

Scott57 Member

I have a 73 Rams Head and just this past week bought an Overdriver and a Lucky 13. I would definitely recommend.

18. cbm

cbm Silver Supporting Member

You should also consider Basic Audio. They make at least three Muff-ish fuzzes. I have the Foxey Lady and the Alter-destiny. They're both great, but the Alter-destiny is mu current favorite Muff-ish fuzz.

19. DecoWaves

DecoWaves Member

I have the Iron Bell and truly enjoy the various tones I can dial in. From my use, I find it strengths are much more towards lead tones. I am curious to the others who posted earlier in this thread what settings they used for more rhythm/chordal progressions.

The Iron Bell is a very clean sounding muff .. LoL .. super amounts of gain on tap but so articulate -- which is why it works a bit more for lead. The design is suppose to equate to a muff circuit in combination with a tube driver. I believe the 'Pre' knob on the BE Musket is to emulate the same effect but allows one to dial in/out the tube driver circuit.

Regardless ... check out this site as it has reviews on both (each pedal received great settings)
    http://www.gilmourish.com/?page_id=3389

Final Note: I run a Barber Gain Changer into the Iron Bell which purposely adds a bit more bite to the pedal for rhythm work.

20. dpgreek

dpgreek Supporting Member

Musket is amazing. Can do really almost any muff sound. If recommend first. Then Id look into a SUF Red or Violet Menace. Very versatile as well. Lastly Basic Audio Alter Destiny.