1. The Rules have been updated regarding posting as a business on TGP. Thread with details here: Thread Here
    Dismiss Notice

Another "Need help with bedroom amp" thread

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs' started by sage97, Dec 11, 2005.

1. sage97

sage97 Member

GAS is BAD!

No need to worry about waking up anybody as my son sleeps through anything. However, I do want to preserve my hearing when playing in my music room. I do not care much for cleans but I want great crunch/distorted/overdrive tones knowing that I will probably need a pedal for metal stuff.

Choices are all combos - Savage Macht 6 vs. Mini Z vs. Blue Velvet 25 watter vs a Fargen 5 watter.

Unable to play before buying. Hopefully the sellers can offer a 2 day trial period but I doubt it.

Your suggestions are highly appreciated.

2. Richard Guy

Richard Guy Member

Please restrict business solicitations to the Manufacturer's Emporium. Thank you. Scott Peterson, Administrator

3. G'OlPeachPhan

G'OlPeachPhan Member

I wouldn't consider any tube amps to be bedroom amps, especially if you're talking overdrive and distortion... that just pushes volume levels WAY beyond bedroom levels.

My suggestion would be:

The Lovepedal 1/2watt Vintage - offers drive sounds ranging from similar to my hot-rodded tweed 5F1 Champ to my Matchless Lightning in a lot of ways when overdriven/distorted. Seriously great tube-like tones from this little battery powered solid state amp. Check out the clips floating around these forums. I would actually consider the volume of this amp to be "bedroom" volume - it's about the sound level of someone talking (not yelling) in the loudest voice possible.

4. sage97

sage97 Member

Rich,

Appreciate the suggestion.

My understanding is that this is a kit that I have to build. I'm sure it's easy to assemble but I was looking for a combo. Unless I missed something, the combos I found in the other links appear too loud for bedroom playing.

5. sage97

sage97 Member

Wil check this out.

Thanks.

6. sage97

sage97 Member

Excuse my newbie question but can you plug the lovepedal into a combo?

7. G'OlPeachPhan

G'OlPeachPhan Member

Sure... With the combo you speak of, is your speaker(s) hard wired to the amp, or are they connected using a plug into a jack? If it's the the latter of the two, you just need to unplug the plug from the amp's jack, and plug it into the lovepedal speaker jack instead. If it's the former, all you'd need is a wiring harness that terminates with a 1/4" plug so that you can plug them into the Lovepedal's speaker out jack. Does that all make sense?

8. drbob1

drbob1 Silver Supporting Member

All of the amps you mentioned at the start are going to be very loud, when cranked for power tube distortion. Not loud enough to hurt your hearing, as long as the speaker isn't next to your head, but louder than the TV. Of all of the single tube amps, I still think the Emery Super Baby is the most flexible, as well as being extremely inexpensive compared to your list. I've got a 1/2w and if you don't need clean, that really is the best answer. Also, you might look into a reamp kind of solution-either the H&K "Machine" series used, or an ultimate attenuator for your current amp.

9. sage97

sage97 Member

Thanks DrBob1.

I have a Cornford 6 watter that can get really loud if I wanted it to. It also has an amazing MV that allows me to jam at bedroom levels (louder TV volume levels) while maintaining excellent tones to my ears. I wanted to add another amp with a different taste.

Is your emery for sale?

10. sage97

sage97 Member

Not sure how it's connected but I will check as soon as I can.

Thanks again for the suggestion.

11. Da5Id

Da5Id Member

My Carr Mercury can play gorgeous clean tones all the way to creamy distortion at anything from "easy" conversation levels to very loud. Anything in between with a bit of tweaking. Only caveat, it's very expensive. It also sounds very expensive. :JAM

12. ZiggY!!

ZiggY!! Member

I don't think any valve amp will do it alone... a 5 watt amp combine with an inefficient speaker will help reduce the volume. Say a speaker with a sensitivity rating of 92 or 93 dB instead of a greenback or something with a rating of 98 or 99dB.

Remember that a 3dB difference is roughly twice as loud. My lucky 7 with a vintage 30 is louder than my fender deluxe with a jensen (7watts with a 100dB speaker vs 22watt with a 93dB speaker)... Speakers really make a difference in volume!

Add some attenuation and you could get it down to TV volumes and still have some nice tone... It wouldn't be overly expensive either. Weber sell a 25watt load dump for $60 and the speaker replacement would be about $80-$150... plus you could sell the stock speaker out of the combo...

Now you just have to choose a tone. What are you looking for? can you drop some amp models that you've played and really enjoy? Have you listened to the clips of those amps? Any preference? what sounds are expecting with this preference?

13. bob-i

bob-i Member

I'm not convinced that there's anything that can be done to get a true "bedroom" volume with a nice fat tone. I've built everything from 1/2 watt to 50 watts. The 1/2 watters just don't have the tightness on the bottom end and 50 watters won't get a decent sound unless you start pushing them. Modelers are ok, but you don't get the true tube sound from them. I'd only use a modeler for band situations where there's lot of other instruments in the mix.

IMO if you want to play at bedroom volumes, play clean. You'll play better and rely more on technique for sustain and tone.

All that said, the best low volume tones I've gotten are from an old Peavey Rockmaster preamp into a mixer. These things are great little preamps.

14. tacorivers

tacorivers Silver Supporting Member

You could get an Atomic Amp with a POD. I have one, and its a great bedroom amp.

15. Dr Rico

Dr Rico Member

My Gjika Mini Amp into most any of my other amps is terrific at silly-low volumes all the way up to whatever the host amp can toss out. Eats pedals, too.

16. bluesdoc

bluesdoc Gold Supporting Member Gold Supporting Member

I think there are some real challenges with guitar speakers/cabs at very low volumes. I suspect a modeler into a full range monitor is probably gonna work well, if not better, than low power amps to guitar speakers. Guitar speakers need power/vol to sound good. The more the better. I don't play bedroom levels anymore, but if I had to, it'd be my GNX into my JBL EON powered monitor. Just my .02

jon

17. sage97

sage97 Member

I had one too. Great little amp but somehow, it just didn't do it for me. I sold it as soon as I got the Cornford.

18. JeffD

JeffD Very slow but persistent Supporting Member

California Central Coast between LA and the Bay
    I agree that just about any tube amp of more that a watt or two is going to be too loud, and that guitar speakers need to be pushed to sound good. One possible solution I haven't tried is to use an isolation box with an internal mic, hooked up to monitors. I think much of the feel of playing a tube amp would be diluted, however.

19. Fretts

Fretts Member

If you have a budget, get ZVex's little nano tube amp and connect it to any decent speaker that has been loosened up and broken in. It is an awsome little amp. http://zvexamps.com/amp_view.html
    1/2watt true push-pull power amp output, I have heard it in person and it sounds like, "Honey, I shrunk the Marshall". Half a watt is more than enough for bedroom use, seriously.

20. kselbee

kselbee Member

The Zinky BV is a great bedroom amp IMO. I've had mine a few weeks now and am just loving it. I'll be recording some cips this week (hopefully) so you can check those out.