Another "Need help with bedroom amp" thread

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs' started by sage97, Dec 11, 2005.

1. JWR

JWR Member

Frankly, I just gave up on a low volume solution and I bought an old Rockman on Ebay last week. I'm just gonna plug her into my board and deal with the tone as is.

2. sage97

sage97 Member

Looking forward to it. May I request that you record at bedroom levels?

I'm not ready to give up on bedroom amps yet. Like I said, my Cornford sounds excellent at low volumes. I just want to add a different flavor. I may have to decide real soon and get one with a MV.

Thanks.

3. Reverend Voodoo

Reverend Voodoo Member

4. drbob1

drbob1 Silver Supporting Member

Nope, it's a keeper. But they sell new for less than most of the amps you listed cost used. And Curt's a good guy!

5. kselbee

kselbee Supporting Member

I've started my recording and it's at bedroom level. So far it's just a jam track and I'll improv some blues licks over it. Hopefully that'll give you some ideas of what the amp sounds like. It'll be a quick "song" but should have it up this week. I'll let ya know!

6. sage97

sage97 Member

The jam tracks themselves should give me a great idea. Infact, listening to the rhythm tracks gives me a better feel for the amps gain levels (high, medium or low gain levels). Plus, I like playing rhythm just as much as I do lead.

If you can post that or email them to me, I'd be your best friend. :)

7. stratovarius

stratovarius Supporting Member

Hmmm. I always thought the term "bedroom amp" was really just a euphemism for an amp you could play at home without pissing off the family or the neighbors. You guys want an amp that sleeping kids literally can't hear in the next room? I think there is a huge difference in a low volume amp and a whisper level amp. In my mind, any amp that is designed to drive a guitar speaker could never sound good at whisper levels. At that point, I'd rather use a modeler and headphones.

8. sage97

sage97 Member

Hi Strat,

My definition of a bedroom amp is the same as the euphemism you mentioned above - just great crunch/overdriven tones below ear shattering volumes when playing inside a closed bedroom.

The modeler with headphones is something that I already do when sitting with my girlfriend or son in the living room while they are watching TV. :)

9. LaXu

LaXu Member

I wrote about some solutions in the other recent bedroom amp thread. Check those out. I'm quite happy with Power Scaling, though the dummy load + poweramp method works well too and is easier to put together since you won't need any amp mods.

I'd go with a bigger amp that has a good master volume or use one of the other methods instead of a low watt amp..those never sound as good to me.

10. stratovarius

stratovarius Supporting Member

There always seems to be a debate as to whether amps like Maven Peals qualify as "bedroom" amps. By this definition they do, but some people seem to have different expectations.

I wish we could come up with a better term. This is just too confusing.

11. trisonic

trisonic Member

You're not kidding S!
    Under Sage97's definition then a Maven Peal would be very acceptable......
    You could use a Ganesha on 3.5 on the Wattage knob thru a single Greenback and get good warm crunchy sounds - loud but not loud enough to reverberate through a whole house.

Best, Pete.

12. sage97

sage97 Member

I'll have to read up on power scaling as I am totally unfamiliar with that concept.

Your suggestion on a bigger amp with a good MV makes a lot of sense as demonstrated by my 6 watter.

Thanks.

PS
    Funny signature. I can see how pagan can be easily misheard as bacon.

13. sage97

sage97 Member

Just realized that the Mini Z, the Minimat and the Savage Macht 6 do not have MVs. Now I see why everyone is saying that these will be too loud for bedroom volumes. I just assumed that they all had MVs since my Cornford does.

Okay, the list narrows down to the Fargen 5 watter and the Zinky BV. Both have MVs. I like the BV clips I've heard, it seems to have higher gain than the Fargen. Also, it is easier on the wallet but I'm a tad bit concerned about it's higher wattage. I'm really excited to hear some clips of the BV at bedroom volumes.

I've already heard the Fargen. It sounds great but I was hoping for it to have a little bit more gain. I guess, I can use my pedals on the thing.

14. Richard Guy

Richard Guy Member

Please restrict business solicitations to the Manufacturer's Emporium. Thank you. Scott Peterson, Administrator

15. deadboy77

deadboy77 Member

I'd go with the Zinky Blue Velvet. I'm also in a situation where I have to keep the volume down and the Zinky sounds great at a low volume. I've had mine for about a month and couldn't be happier.

16. 6789

6789 Member

Bedroom volumes. 12 watts - too loud. 5 watts - still too loud. I know I own them. I just got a Lovepedal 1/2 wat vintage amp. Now that's bedroom volume. First I run through an Aphex Guitar Xciter pedal to add lows and highs. I just bought a vintage tweed suitcase and my weber speakers arrive today. I'm going to cut holes in the suitcase and put 10 and 6 inch speakers in it and power it with the the 1/2 watt vintage. I'll let you know how it works out. I'll post photos when it's done.

17. sage97

sage97 Member

And maybe post sound clips as bedroom volumes as well?

18. AD

AD Supporting Member

The Swart AST 20 watter has a nice clean tone at low volumes (there's also a 5 watter)

The amp i used the most for practice and low volumes is my $150 Roland Micro cube - considering the price and what it offers - it's great.

Alex

19. bobeau

bobeau Member

Aiken amps were mentioned many times in those recent threads, and I can confirm my Invader plays well at _low_ volume. 35 db max attenuation, is that enough?

I can dime it any time, day or night, in my apt complex. Yes the speaker interaction is missing (once I'm below 12 db I notice this) but the tone is all there.

20. Dave B

Dave B Exit... Dual Stage Left Silver Supporting Member

I too bought mine for home use, and I wind up playing it at whisper quiet levels late at night up through the MV set at about 4 when the family is gone. A friend recently borrowed it for an R&B gig (where he throws in his RF stylistic traits), set the MV at about 6, and fit right in volume-wise (both clean and overdriven) with the band. A very versatile MV circuit, though I think it sounds more like a 6L6 amp than an EL84 amp. There's plenty of BV25 mentions in threads since this summer, so you can take a gander at everyone's extended experiences with them.