Another "Need help with bedroom amp" thread

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs' started by sage97, Dec 11, 2005.

1. Leonc

Leonc Wild Gear Hearder Gold Supporting Member

Randall Aiken's amps are great at low volume. Excellent attenuators and equally excellent master volumes.

For me right now, however, the Orange Rockerverb is hands down the best sounding bedroom volume amp I've ever owned. It's also one of the best sounding full-on bash your brains out giggin amps as well, if that's what you need. Here's clip I just did playing at a level that wouldn't bother anyone in the same room, let alone the same house. Strat right into amp into Divided by 13 2x12d (old Greenback miked). There is no other amp that captures the low-end and aggressive feel of playing something cranked like this amp does. Not IMO, at any rate.

2. CryBaby

CryBaby Member

Yamaha DG-... !!
    Perfect bedroom-amp!
    And still the best, among the modellers'.

Sounds better than all tubeamps, I have tried at home.
    And I have a couple of 3 watters. Cool, but too loud.

I personally think, that tubeamps is not an option, when You need very low levels.

Outside home, tubes is king !

Lasse

3. sage97

sage97 Member

Sounds excellent. Does this have a MV?

4. Ok I guarantee this is it. A Cornford Harliquin. Check it out. 6 watts and it is said it is the ultimate studio amp. About 1350 used
    tony

5. sage97

sage97 Member

That's what I already have and I completely love it. My Harley is a definite keeper.

However, GAS is BAD and I was just wanting something with a different taste.

6. mrmojorisin

mrmojorisin Member

This is a topic I have spent a lot of time and money on.

First, to me "bedroom" means I should be able to play it with my wife in the other room and not wake her. TV volume levels are necessary for me in this regard.

My experience is that - in tube amps - only amps with power scaling technology will achieve this well. Further, those with power scaling DO achieve this EXTREMELY well.

Note: The Maven Peal stuff doesnt have power scaling technology. Great stuff, but it doesn't do bedroom as I have defined it (I have a Zeeta Silver, BTW).

My choice for bedroom amps (I have two) are a Stephenson LJ-15 LE

http://www.stephensonamps.com/lj15head.htm

and a Stephenson LJ-10

http://www.stephensonamps.com/lj10head.htm

(I have one upstairs and one downstairs....I'm a lazy SOB!)

The Stephenson amp is the only amp I have ever found that I can play at bedroom volumes and be inspired by. Its the power scaling technology - thats the key.

And BTW, the first is a 30 watt amp, and the second a 15 watt amp...so they are good for a whole lot more than bedroom volumes.

Check 'em out. These amps were really a paradigm shifter for me re the whole concept of "playing quiet".

7. sage97

sage97 Member

Do you have any clips of the stephenson? These look ultra expensive.

8. mrmojorisin

mrmojorisin Member

No clips yet but I will try to get to making some and post them.

They are NOT expensive!

In fact I just bought the LJ-10 used for 650 shipped! Bwaaaahahaha!

LJ-15 LE was $1500 new. Doesnt make this model anymore though (but might if you asked him to).

LJ-10 is $1000 new. Here is the link to price list:

http://www.stephensonamps.com/pricing.htm

9. MoRawk

MoRawk Member

Those are really nice amps. Kind of tough on on the pocketbook for someone who's just looking for the bedroom amp. The Little Lanilei 3350LT from Songworks works on the same premise as well. Probably not as nice a package as the Stephensons you mentioned but it does have a similar scaling master volume. At $449, you can't go wrong.

10. CryBaby

CryBaby Member

What is MV ?

Lasse

11. MoRawk

MoRawk Member

12. sage97

sage97 Member

MoRawk,

The sound clips on the Little Lanilei sound awesome. The Harmony Central reviews on the 3350 LT say that it has a good MV as well and sounds great in bedroom/household volumes. However, there were no sound clips other than the 1/4 Lanilei on the Songworks website.

Do you have one of his amps or have you heard or played one?

13. MoRawk

MoRawk Member

I've got one on order. Tris is real responsive. I had a slew of questions to ask him and he answered all of them promptly. The main question I asked him was whether there was any compromising in tone when you play the 3350LT at bedroom level and he said it sounds exactly the same as the 1/4 watter. Same amp. Just the master volume sorta powerscales. The fact that it's gotten such good reviews, the quick response and the low price of $449, I thought what the heck...i'll just order it.

14. sage97

sage97 Member

I just sent him email so we'll see if he has a model for me. If not, I may order a 3350 like you did.

Thanks man.

15. Phloored

Phloored Member

I'll second the power scaling kudos. I use it all the time. It has made life much easier when I cam home after a late day and I want to unwind, very nice option, theres nothing like the extra dimension of music(or my best attempt) in the air. I look forward to more people experiencing power scaling:AOK

16. sage97

sage97 Member

The soundclip in the link below (the one called Seether) was played at bedroom levels. What do you guys think of the rhythm guitar tones?

Warning: Playing sucks bad so disregard it especially the lead attempt. Just requestiong for feedback on the rhythm tones.

http://www.soundclick.com/bands/pagemusic.cfm?bandID=248672

17. whitehall

whitehall Member

This thread is always amusing and comes up quite often, the replies run the gamut from the ridiculous to the spam. My 2 cents : Get yourself a Tech 21 TM10 and start from there. These amps will do everything from a decent clean to great distortion at volume you can talk over.

18. sage97

sage97 Member

It's not really that ridiculous for some of us.

I sold my TM10 after I got my Cornford. Nothing against SS amps but I realized that there are tube amps that sound awesome at bedroom volumes.

Searching for another one is half the fun for me.

19. Reeek

Reeek Member

I have your solution here - just buy my almost pristine Custom Kraft (Probably Valco made) 1x8 50C5 combo amp. It's not a widow maker circuit. It has an isolation tranny and a Weber 8A125 speaker. It sounds killer and runs about 3-4 watts.

I'll let it go for cheap too. I'd say it's around a 1965ish amp. I haven't looked at the date codes on the pots or trannies so far.

She runs quiet too. Caps have been replaced.

20. sage97

sage97 Member

Email me some pics and possibly sound clips then we'll talk!