• New Sponsor: ShipNerd, Ship Your Gear with Us... for less! Click Here.

Another OD or a clean boost or EQ pedal for rock-metal setup?

Governator

Hi, as the tittle suggests, I'm currently in the process of building my pedalboard after retiring my old multi-effects pedal and getting back into playing. I'm weighing up purchasing another OD to compliment my Fulltone OCD. As well as the OCD I have MXR Super Badass Distortion, EQD Hoof Fuzz, MXR Phase 90, Boss Metalzone MT-2 (modded), Boss CH-1 Chorus and TC Electronics Flashback Delay. So my current setup has the high gain/fuzz pretty much covered.

I mainly play classic rock through to metal (Zeppelin, Queen, Aerosmith, ACDC, Metallica). I've got a Les Paul Standard into a Vox AC-10 amp (typically on the clean channel). Not keen on the TS9 as it isnt true bypass, a ProCo Rat or EHX Soulfood maybe? I've also thought about the Xotic EP Boost as well (the Xotic SP comp is also on the to-get list as well as a noise clamp - EHX Silencer maybe), but just not sure whether to get that or another OD or even an EQ (MXR 6 band or 10 band or Boss GE-7) with my current setup? any advice is appreciated, cheers.

DaveKS

I'd go for edge of clean od/boost, that is whats missing in line up to me. Kingsley Page is my #1, bit pricey but nothing adds that light tube compression and edge of od growl when you dig in then pull back to a singing boosted edge of clean as you hold the chord or note. A fuzz into Page just thickens it up a bit and the harmonics bloom even more than before.

And there are plenty of TS clones with true bypass. I run a VFE Pale Horse in front of Page, its relay/clickless true bypass, extra clipping control plus extra bass/treble controls. It into Page it's just this driving alt rock, blues rock or red dirt country grind. The Pale Horse also has a diode lift, so it can be more of a open, less compressed drive as well.

Way Huge Green Rhino is another true bypass very popular TS derivative around here.

But you know I don't worry about the true bypass vs buffered stuff to much. I try a pedal and if it sounds good in its application, it is good. But I would never put a buffer in front of fuzz or treble boosters. I mean your boss chorus is already buffered and you seem to keep it in the chain for some reason don't you. :D

Governator

Thanks, yep the Kingsley looks like a great pedal from some YouTube clips but it is pretty hard to find in Australia. Might need to look af some options but a boost with some breakup would be ideal.

I still don't really understand when/if I'll need a buffer, or where one would place in the chain. Will the boss chorus act as a buffer even in the off position? I might need to do some experimenting with just guitar into amp and see if I can notice any difference.

Can anyone recommend a volume pedal that will work with both active and passive pickups? I have 2 x guitars - the Les Paul (passive) and an ESP with active pickups.

ummohyeah

Rat works really well as a dirty boost. I usually gravitate towards using the Rat as a "2nd channel" kind of pedal.

Shouldn't be an issue with either of your pickup sets.

Governator

Cool, I guess the thing that I am wondering is with the burstbucker pickups into the Vox sounding quite mid and less scooped, I just think I need something that will give me some more flexibility with being able to dial up the treble via either a boost with some eq dials or a dedicated eq pedal. EQD tone job maybe?

With so many different pedals and options out there I just don't know what would best fit.

ccoker

Silver Supporting Member
I have an EQD Tone Job that I use to boost my PWE for solos. I have tried a lot of clean boosts over the years and this one is my favorite.
It truly sounds neutral with EQs set to 12 oclock and the bass,mid,treble controls seem perfect to my ears.
Really happy with it.

Trending Topics

Top Bottom