Another Open Back Versus Closed Back question.

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs' started by pete12string, Feb 7, 2015.

1. pete12string

pete12string Supporting Member

The scenario is a 1x12 cabinet in a home environment using a low watt (5w) amp. So volumes are relatively low...not pushing a ton of air.

Given the same speaker:

• What are the tonal characteristics of open back?
    • What are the tonal characteristics of closed back?
    My assumption is that regardless of the speaker, open back will always sound one way and closed will sound another way. Is this true? Will speaker choice change the tonal characteristics of open back versus closed back?

Thanks for your input!
    Pete

2. alvagoldbook

alvagoldbook Member

Speaker choice effects everything, but generally speaking an open back will be brighter (or less bass heavy) and have a 3D surround type sound (kinda), while a closed back will have a focused sound with more bass end thump.

3. billyjett

billyjett Member

If your playing at low volume levels in a home environment where noise is an issue, I would definitely go with a closed back cab. You will get more bass response, and no bleed from the back of the cab obviously.I play live most of the time with smaller amps, and all my cabs are open back, but I will pair a closed back cab with my open back cabs if I need to play at lower volumes and need more bass.The open back cabs fill the room, and sound huge!

4. kiki_90291

kiki_90291 Member

5. 71strat

71strat Member

As was stated in the read above from TDPRI.

The Resonant Frequency determines if a speaker is good for a certain cabinet.

I believe a Speaker with an FS of 89 + it is good in a Sealed Back.

75-88 is good for both Open and Sealed. Below 75 is good for all.... Ported, Sealed, Open, Semi Open but are Best in a Ported Tuned Cabinet for full Frequency Response.

6. Heady Jam Fan

Heady Jam Fan Member

I much prefer open-back, but it also depends on the amp and style music. I use Fender and Mesa Mark amps.

All variables the same, except the back, I prefer open. For example, using a Steamboat Hemp 100, which is a reconed G12-80, in a convertible-back cabinet (can be converted from open to closed). I'm not 100% sure of the resonant frequency, but the CL80 (similar speaker) has a resonant frequency of 85hz, so according to 71Strat, this speaker ought to sound good in either open or closed/sealed.

Open-back fills the room more and is less stiff / focused. It feels/sounds more natural to me for guitar while closed-back sounds kinda compressed and smaller. Closed-back is also quieter. I actually don't hear more bass thump in the closed back, but rather less sparkle in the treble and more of a boxy low-end.

7. swiveltung

swiveltung Member

Generally closed back will be more compressed sounding. Open back cleaner and clearer. Also, the deeper the cab in either case the more hifi it sounds.

8. sharpshooter

sharpshooter Member

Using an FS number to determine suitability for certain cabs, is not an end-all-be-all decision.
    For example, Fender used JBL D-130s in open back combos, the same identical speaker was used by JBL in both closed, and tuned enclosures for all kinds of Hi-Fi cabs, and PA, and studio monitor applications.
    The same was true with Altec, while Ampeg used the 417s, and 421s in many apps both closed and open, Altec used them in lots of various cabs that were tuned/ported/closed.
    Within the freq range of guitar, FS numbers, just like Thiele-Small numbers really don't mean very much.
    Use what sounds good for you.

9. 71strat

71strat Member

As was stated.

JBL And Altec are good for Any Type of cabinet but to get their full frequency response they Have to be an a Tuned Cabinet.

The FS Protects the Speaker from Cone Excursion. It does and can make a difference in speaker reliability.

I run JBL and Altec and have since 1972.

I use hemp coned E120's, E130's and have 2 x 4 x 12 Sunn Coliseum Cabinets with 8 x 12 JBL D120F's.

I mainly use the JBL's in TS806 and TS606 cabinets with 3 piece modular backs.

But to protect the speaker from cone excursion it does matter about FS and Cabinet construction.

Ive also got Altec 418 8h, Altec 421A, and Altec 417 Type Diacones from the early 60's.

slavenoid likes this.
  10. pete12string

Thanks to everyone. Looking at:
    Celestion G12M Greenback - Resonance frequency, Fs 75Hz
    WGS Invader 50 - Resonance frequency, Fs 131.7 Hz

Or how about a G12M-65 Creamback?

Again, a 5w (Fagen Townhouse 5w head) amp, blues, classic rock tones...
    Thinking of a closed back 1x12. Any opinions?

Last edited: Feb 8, 2015
  11. pete12string

So based on my investigation, for the Fagen Townhouse 5w head I think it will be a G12M-65 Creamback in an open back cab that is convertible to closed (Avatar). What do you think? Good choice?

12. papersoul

papersoul Member

Regardless of speaker, I greatly prefer semi open back and closed back. I have and need both for variety. Open sounds too thin and weak to me unless I was only playing clean. Even there I like semi open.
    Check this... He mics up three times, close, semi open and open. I have always preferred closed, especially in a 412, but semi 212 cabs sound bigger and more dimensional. This is an eye opener. I emailed the guy who did the test and it was well done.
    Watch "Cabinet Back panel comparison´╝łOpen vs Closed vs Semi open´╝ë" on YouTube

13. Salsg

Salsg Member

Hmmm.....I didn't like the semi open in that clip. Preferred the open then the closed there.
    In my situation when I went to celestion golds, I did not like them in closed back. I did a partial open back with my 4x12 then went to mostly open back. That really improved the tone overall. The bass response increased and I run my resonance at 0-2 now where before it was 6-8 and had to cut the bass down on the channels on my jvm410.
    And the overall sound was clearer

To the op, I think that avatar cab and speaker selection is a good choice