• New Sponsor: ShipNerd, Ship Your Gear with Us... for less! Click Here.
  • On Thursday, January 20, 2022, starting at 7 pm EST, We will take the forum offline to do the necessary upgrades. Estimates are a possible 3-hour total downtime to complete the process. So mark your calendar to play your guitar.

Another Open Jam. Cool Easy But Fun Backing.

corbeano

Gold Supporting Member
@Bluesful sent me this really fun backing to play on. Simple enough for all the rock/blues guys,
yet challenging enough for the jazzers.
This is my very first try at this so go easy on me or I will have to do another and MOP THE FLOOR WITH ANY AND ALL CHALLENGERS!!!
:dude:dude:dude

Seriously, it's really fun to play on! Post them up so I can steal some licks!
:dude

Backing:

My try:

Great tone and playing. Thanks for sharing. I learned a few of your lines.. I need to find some more minor lines and get to work.

Reactions: Tag

Bussman

I really do like listening to all the takes, all individual and unique. Some of the posters admit to struggling with certain sections. If that really is true, might I suggest listening to Gary Burton giving a university masterclass. In the first half he basically indicates much of what is needed to improvise. In the second half Burton criticizes the solos and may have made some reconsider the major they have chosen. Nothing but pearls in this vid. I have listened to it a few times.
Paraphrasing: "Your concious mind can do whatever it wants except get in the way of your inner player."

That's a tough one I find.

Last edited:

Tag

Platinum Supporting Member
Paraphrasing: "Your concious mind can do whatever it wants except get in the way of your inner player."

Agree. That's the thing I took out of that video the most. It's dead on the money.

Aaron Mayo

@Bluesful sent me this really fun backing to play on. Simple enough for all the rock/blues guys,
yet challenging enough for the jazzers.
This is my very first try at this so go easy on me or I will have to do another and MOP THE FLOOR WITH ANY AND ALL CHALLENGERS!!!
:dude:dude:dude

Seriously, it's really fun to play on! Post them up so I can steal some licks!
:dude

Backing:

My try:

Cobra is a fat machine!

Reactions: Tag

Aaron Mayo

i've been forcing myself to sing my lines-guitar follows vocal, not the other way (the hard part for me). i find my analytical mind is pretty much turned off. If it comes back on, i'm not singing anymore.

i've been forcing myself to sing my lines-guitar follows vocal, not the other way (the hard part for me). i find my analytical mind is pretty much turned off. If it comes back on, i'm not singing anymore.
When I started playing guitar again, the approach I took to getting used to jazz chord changes was to sing a 2-4 bar phrase, learn that phrase on guitar, then record the guitar. So I'd eventually edit together a "solo" out of these multiple takes of short phrases. Of course veteran players who heard my mixed track could quickly tell something was amiss and comment how it the solo sounded Frankenstein'd together. I thought it was a useful developmental practice.

I still admire the great improvising vocalists like Sarah Vaughn but it does take a particular discipline to sing, even if's just mental singinng, and play guitar at the same time - so hat's off to you being able to do that.

Aaron Mayo

When I started playing guitar again, the approach I took to getting used to jazz chord changes was to sing a 2-4 bar phrase, learn that phrase on guitar, then record the guitar. So I'd eventually edit together a "solo" out of these multiple takes of short phrases. Of course veteran players who heard my mixed track could quickly tell something was amiss and comment how it the solo sounded Frankenstein'd together. I thought it was a useful developmental practice.

I still admire the great improvising vocalists like Sarah Vaughn but it does take a particular discipline to sing, even if's just mental singinng, and play guitar at the same time - so hat's off to you being able to do that.
I don’t know—if you heard me singing you might put your hat back on.

JK1965

Gold Supporting Member
That's how I have been for close to 2 years, but if things do not change real soon, good bye Tag. How the economy could go from burning hot to completely dead within 3 weeks is surreal.

Anyway, if you can have music on while you are working, pump Coltrane, Cannonball, Stitt, Monk, Getz, Lee Morgan, Dexter Gordon and all the greats from that era into your ears non stop. It's the main "practice" I have been getting, and it works. It beats the phrasing into your brain.

And on the playing bad and red light nerve thing, when it hits me, I'm useless. One time I was practicing on Mr PC, which is just blues changes, all morning long. I was trying all new ideas and I was playing pretty well, and going through the 4 minute backing with only a minor mistake here or there, over, and over for hours. So things were sounding good and I wanted to record it and put a clip up. I hit the record button.....and I swear I could not make 8 bars without completely ffffing up. I must have tried 20 takes, and not even make one chorus. I almost smashed my guitar through the window. And the harder I tried, the worse it got, untiI I could not even make 2 measures.
That's not an exaggeration.

Sooo I put the guitar on the wall, and didnt pick it up for 2 days......Came back, hit record, and blew through 4 minutes like it was nothing. That's how bad it can get, so I sympathize.
So it’s not just me... In the morning I’ll typically play to a random track or I’ll lay down a rhythm track that comes through me then play over it. I’ll get rolling and like you said it’s just flowing real well and there’s little thought involved. So why not record it? Hit record and I can’t play worth a damn! Some days it’s the opposite and what I record surprises me and I have no idea where some of it comes from.
Recently I was recording what should have been simple parts for an old friend in North Jersey. Ridiculously simple bluesy bendy thing and I’d run through it a couple times to get the feel. Hit record and I come in late. This happens several times. Finally I come in on time and the bends are way off the mark.. and it just compounds with each attempt. Wanted to smash some things too for sure. I eventually got it right but man when people hear it they will have no idea the hours that went into this part and the frustration it caused me.
Hang in there man with the business thing. You’ll bounce back. Most importantly stay well.

I don’t know—if you heard me singing you might put your hat back on.
When I said "sing a 2-4 bar phrase" I meant I was partially vocalizing. The pitch range of my vocals is limited, so I have to imagine any notes that are outside the range.

I originally got the Notion app for iPad to write down my ideas formally, instead relying entirely on remembering what I created with this hybrid real vocals-imagined vocals approach to creating a line. Unfortunately I haven't had enough focus on that front.

Aaron Mayo

When I said "sing a 2-4 bar phrase" I meant I was partially vocalizing. The pitch range of my vocals is limited, so I have to imagine any notes that are outside the range.

I originally got the Notion app for iPad to write down my ideas formally, instead relying entirely on remembering what I created with this hybrid real vocals-imagined vocals approach to creating a line. Unfortunately I haven't had enough focus on that front.
Yeah, I think the big idea is to have your imagination guide improvisation rather than your physical habits. When I go near concert high C I drop down an octave. Again it’s not pretty but I think it’s good for what I’m trying to do.

Trending Topics

Top Bottom