Another overdrive thread

Discussion in 'Effects, Pedals, Strings & Things' started by rainking, Oct 14, 2006.

1. rainking

rainking Member

hey guys, this is my first post.

i have been looking at ods and am not sure what to go for.
    i have a standard ts9 reissue, but it is not doing it for me, ive had it about a year. i need a pedal that has an od and a boost, like a fulldrive 2, etc. or another od that will work well with the ts9, or two other ods.

my budget is $250ish, more if absolutely necessary, but i would really prefer not to go over 250.

any suggestions? ive heard good things about bjf, the ocd, the timmy etc.
    ive tried out the fulldrive 2 and like it, how is the mosfet edition?
    i play rock influenced by oasis, counting crows, u2, the beatles

thanks a lot!

2. The Tim/Timmy is a highly touted pedal around here.
    And it's only $150 i think.
    But there is a long wait for it.
    The Tim has a boost feature.
    Personally, i dont think you can go wrong with any of the Maxon pedals also. They are good quality.
    My favorite overdrive currently is the Menatone Red Snapper though.
    Can be very sparkly and complex, or it can be very transparent. It stacks very well with my TS9 and my MaxonOD820.
    The Xotic AC and RC boosters are also very nice pedals.
    Considering your taste in music, you should look into the other Menatone pedals(Top Boost In A Can, Foxy Brown, King Of The Britains), they all have amp like qualities to my ear, and can really get tones of U2(one of my favorite bands), counting crows, the beatles, etc.
    Good luck.

Luke

3. theHoss

theHoss Member

ZVex Box of Rocks has a boost? Might be worthing looking into. The vexter series are about $200. It is Marshally.

4. plowkraut

plowkraut Member

Tonebone trimode could do it. The hot british or plexitone might have too much distortion for what you're looking for, but the trinode may be what you want. Also, it might be easier to try before you buy than many boutique pedals. Good luck.

5. Breeze

Breeze Member

If you like the Fulldrive 2, you should like the Mosfet edition even better. I recently bought the Mosfet edition and like it. Never had a previous version but my understanding is that the Mosfet edition has everything the previous models had PLUS the Mosfet. While it's probably not the top OD out there, in my opinion it's certainly one of the most versatile. It's in your price range, too. Good luck on your search.

6. Flyin' Brian

Flyin' Brian Member

I love the Barber Tone Pump...2 channels and highly adjustable for gain and tone.

7. GuitarsFromMars

GuitarsFromMars Member

8. DejavuDave

DejavuDave Member

The Xotics: RC, AC, BB. The RC (Real Clean) Booster is the best clean booster with eq I've tried. The AC (Almost Clean) Booster is similar with the slightest compression and more gain. The BB Preamp has much more gain. The AC and BB are excellent alone, send them into the RC and watch out!

For reference: jazz, rock, fusion, single-coils into 6V6 BF type tube amp.

Good luck and let us know what you end up with and what you think about it.

9. asdf

asdf Member

Without a doubt the Tim, a real steal for $150. Worth the wait.

10. musickbox

musickbox Supporting Member

If you can wait, a Tim. If not get a zvex box of rock (vexter). It is more agressive. It really sounds like a cranked amp (I have played plenty to know). It also fits the style you want. Although, for U2 stuff I think the Tim is better. I have a timmy and I get those great Edge tones.

11. rainking

rainking Member

what about the blackstone? any opinions? ive heard great things, can a friend has one that i might check out

12. markom89

markom89 Senior Member

+1 on the BoR...very cool sounding pedal.
    +1 also on the Tim & Timmy suggestions.
    Also maybe look into hotcake, carb or sexdrive? (or mucho boosto)...