Another pedal thats like the Nobels ODR-S?

Discussion in 'Effects, Pedals, Strings & Things' started by toneman335, Sep 12, 2008.

1. toneman335

toneman335 Member

Been looking for a Nobels ODR-S pedal. Since they are so difficult to find I was wondering if there is another pedal thats a clone or almost just like it out there? Please let me know if you know of anything out there like that.

2. VHS analog

VHS analog Member

I had a borrowed Nobels ODR-1, an original green one, a beautiful sounding mild overdrive. It's a complicated circuit with a unique layout that even Nobels can't replicate. (ie. The newer Chinese made silver ones sound nothing at all like the old green ones. The sound has no resemblence at all to the green.) I'm afraid those bad boys are gone forever.
    Prepare to pay premium prices on ebay.

3. 4styx

4styx Member

The green ones were made in China as well.

4. toneman335

toneman335 Member

Anyone else might know of a clone or perhaps of an ODR-S for sale? If you know of one for sale please send me a private message.

5. BrianWampler

BrianWampler Member

I've worked on both and reverse engineered both. I can say with 100% certainty that the circuitry, parts, values, etc, are all the exact same. The only difference is on the first run of the silver pedals the gain and volume controls were swapped around.

bw

6. VHS analog

VHS analog Member

You are indeed correct, from an electrical engineering point of view. The circuit is the same, but the component layout changed radically. Technically they should sound identical. I know they replaced the 9 pin KIA4558S opamp (looks like a comb) with the more common 8 pin JRC4558 (looks like a bug) and some of the transistors appear to be different. Maybe that's what caused the difference in sound. The newer silver ODR has much higher gain similar to a TS-9 on full. BTW I'm a novice with electronics so All due respect to Indyguitarist!
    [​IMG]

Last edited: Sep 14, 2008
  7. Grant Ferstat

Grant Ferstat Some guy in obscure bands in a far away place... Silver Supporting Member

So does anyone do one now?

8. O.D.Tubes

O.D.Tubes Member

If you're still looking check out a Wampler Underdog if you can find one. But they have been discontinued too.