Another Princeton Reverb in the house

Salfordlad

So I have both 1969 and 1978 Princeton reverbs along with 1972 and 1978 Deluxe Reverbs so I'm pretty set for small clean usable Fender tube amps right? Nope..... I had to spring for a sweet deal on a mint lightly used PRRI yesterday for $500. I've gotta tell you that I'm thoroughly impressed with this little fella. It holds its own against its siblings with no apologies needed for being a lowly PCB amp. Its probably the sweetest crystalline tone of all of them with definitely the best taper to the pots of any of them. The reverb and vibrato are as good as it gets. Just for fun I ran it through my other amps speakers and a couple of cabs I have. 12" Red Fang, EM12, Weber 12f150, Tone Tubby 40/40 10", Red Alnico TT 10", Eminence 12'" Legend and V30 were tested. I played my Telecaster, CS P90 LP special and R8. For this amp the stock Jensen sounds perfect at least at bedroom levels. Yes it doesn't handle the bottom end like any of the other speakers but it has a sweetness and clarity that stands out from the more robust and louder speakers tested. Its stock and is staying that way for now.

In the past I also had a DRRI which was a very nice amp but it lacked something my '72 has so I sold it. This PRRI on the other hand has qualities that make it a keeper (well at least for the time being). I don't quite understand those who denigrate these reissues. Fender has done a great job in keeping the essence of this perfect amp alive and well.

JK1965

Gold Supporting Member
The whole "lowly PCB amp" thing is largely an internet driven "truth"......

Marshall has been making PCB amps since the early 70's and nobody ever says a thing about it. A good buddy of mine is an elite amp tech and Fender guru. He considers the reissues absolutely great amps and PCB amps to be no less great sounding in general. This coming from a guy with literally piles of vintage amps.

zygoat

Silver Supporting Member
Love my PRRI. When I got it, I already had a plan to change the speaker to something we would consider nice, but I don't hear or feel reason to!

blaster

I also purchased a PRRI this summer and it is my to-go amp. To me, the PRRI is the perfect home amp that I can play at the "sweet spot" and not having any of my neighbors complain. Love this amp.

Rhythm Rocker

I had to spring for a sweet deal on a mint lightly used PRRI yesterday for $500. I've gotta tell you that I'm thoroughly impressed with this little fella. It holds its own against its siblings with no apologies needed for being a lowly PCB amp. Its probably the sweetest crystalline tone of all of them with definitely the best taper to the pots of any of them. The reverb and vibrato are as good as it gets. For this amp the stock Jensen sounds perfect at least at bedroom levels. Yes it doesn't handle the bottom end like any of the other speakers but it has a sweetness and clarity that stands out from the more robust and louder speakers tested. Its stock and is staying that way for now.

I don't quite understand those who denigrate these reissues. Fender has done a great job in keeping the essence of this perfect amp alive and well.
I have two Princeton Reverbs.

A '79 SFPR with original CTS Alnico and original tubes including the 7025 pre-amp tubes.
And a '12 FSR PRRI (Surf Blue & White) with the stock Jensen P10R Alnico. I love both.

They have sparkle, chime, lush reverb and tremolo. 3-D depth in Stereo.

And they make a great kitchen amp! :)

JasonElGato

PRRI has been my main do-it-all gigging amp since I went to mainly subbing here in my area. I have the "FSR" that came with the alnico Jensen speaker. It can hang with rock drummers easily, I literally have to turn it DOWN sometimes. Just need a drive pedal if the job calls for more OD than the amp has.

teleman1

Silver Supporting Member
So I have both 1969 and 1978 Princeton reverbs along with 1972 and 1978 Deluxe Reverbs so I'm pretty set for small clean usable Fender tube amps right? Nope..... I had to spring for a sweet deal on a mint lightly used PRRI yesterday for $500. I've gotta tell you that I'm thoroughly impressed with this little fella. It holds its own against its siblings with no apologies needed for being a lowly PCB amp. Its probably the sweetest crystalline tone of all of them with definitely the best taper to the pots of any of them. The reverb and vibrato are as good as it gets. Just for fun I ran it through my other amps speakers and a couple of cabs I have. 12" Red Fang, EM12, Weber 12f150, Tone Tubby 40/40 10", Red Alnico TT 10", Eminence 12'" Legend and V30 were tested. I played my Telecaster, CS P90 LP special and R8. For this amp the stock Jensen sounds perfect at least at bedroom levels. Yes it doesn't handle the bottom end like any of the other speakers but it has a sweetness and clarity that stands out from the more robust and louder speakers tested. Its stock and is staying that way for now.

In the past I also had a DRRI which was a very nice amp but it lacked something my '72 has so I sold it. This PRRI on the other hand has qualities that make it a keeper (well at least for the time being). I don't quite understand those who denigrate these reissues. Fender has done a great job in keeping the essence of this perfect amp alive and well.
I had the PRRI prottype in my living room well over a year before release. I'd hear all the talk hear on TGP on PR's and I couldn't spew cause I was a beta tester at Fender. My Friend, Howard Kaplan designed the amp,(he does the EVH amps now). I heard it next to the original 65 and I couldn't tell a difference. Finely tuned. All the loons screaming pcb, made in Hacamunga,padadda Mexico, Viet Nam, Nome Alaska. Bottom line is it has quintessential tremolo and Reverb and when the speaker is BROKEN in, it is a ridiculously fine sounding amp; no need to turn to boutique. And as always, you can play with the speaker,NOT THE SIZE. Put in NOS tubes,(entirely worth it). If you get a chance I think PR's sound glorious with Celestion Gold 10".

Last edited:

otaypanky

Play it like you mean it ~
Platinum Supporting Member
'Seems kind of crazy that the PRRI was so much less expensive when it came out compared to current pricing. When they first came out I got one from a big box store and at that time it was $579. AND that price included a re-issue of the big chrome Fender Fuzz Wah which was a great sounding wah.
The amp sounded stellar at low volumes but didn't hold together for my tastes at higher volume. I tried quite a few changes and upgrades, tubes, several 10"speakers, 12" speakers with baffle change, transformer, all with no success for what I was hoping for. But at lower volumes it was definitely a wonderful sounding amp.

Salfordlad

'Seems kind of crazy that the PRRI was so much less expensive when it came out compared to current pricing. When they first came out I got one from a big box store and at that time it was $579. AND that price included a re-issue of the big chrome Fender Fuzz Wah which was a great sounding wah.
The amp sounded stellar at low volumes but didn't hold together for my tastes at higher volume. I tried quite a few changes and upgrades, tubes, several 10"speakers, 12" speakers with baffle change, transformer, all with no success for what I was hoping for. But at lower volumes it was definitely a wonderful sounding amp.
It sounds like a Deluxe Reverb was needed in your case. My '78 DR is hellish loud. I just had a bar gig 3 weeks ago where both myself and the other guitarists used our silverface PR's. We couldn't get them much over 2-3. How I was able to use a Twin Reverb w/Altec Lansing's back in the mid seventies is now mind boggling to think about. The only amp I wish I had never sold was my 1971 Vibrolux Reverb which I did to get the Twin. Back then it was all about having the biggest baddest setup. Didn't really think about how it limited my tone, it just had to be loud.

thebowl

I love my 65 PRRI and I regard the stock Jensen as a fine speaker. I gave mine away this past weekend to a dear old friend who collects hard-to-find speakers. It was the least I could do to thank him for giving me a cherry JBL D110, freshly and expertly reconed. I have regarded the Emi Allesandro 10" as the pinnacle for the PRRI, so far, and I think of the PRRI as an amp that really wants a ceramic speaker in it. But the JBL, well they aren't legendary by accident. So, we will see.

Joe L

Silver Supporting Member
I bought a PRRI about 10 years ago on a Musician’s Friend Fender Friday for $650 (out the door).
I swap out the speaker for a Celestion 10 which I believe is an ideal speaker for this amp, adding a bit more mids for a fuller tone. I also run JJ6V6s which give this amp an even bigger sound. I love this little amp which is surely a keeper!

PedalFreak

Silver Supporting Member
I ended up putting the stock speaker back in my PRRI, not sure why I ever took it out after having it back in there for a few weeks.

Going to be building a new cabinet, actually an extra cabinet. I've got a 1959 P15R speaker lying around and I'm going to build an extra combo cabinet for times I play with a bigger group. I'll throw the chassis into the 15" cabinet and go.

Salfordlad

I ended up putting the stock speaker back in my PRRI, not sure why I ever took it out after having it back in there for a few weeks.

Going to be building a new cabinet, actually an extra cabinet. I've got a 1959 P15R speaker lying around and I'm going to build an extra combo cabinet for times I play with a bigger group. I'll throw the chassis into the 15" cabinet and go.
I'm doing the same thing for my '78. Mather has just shipped a oversized cab to me which I should get next week. I had him build it large enough for me to throw in a 15" with an extra baffle if I want. Initially I will run it with an Eminence EM12 which sounds huge. I'm a little nervous because I went wild and had him build it with teal tolex and aged grill cloth. Hope its not too pimped out.

PedalFreak

Silver Supporting Member
I'm doing the same thing for my '78. Mather has just shipped a oversized cab to me which I should get next week. I had him build it large enough for me to throw in a 15" with an extra baffle if I want. Initially I will run it with an Eminence EM12 which sounds huge. I'm a little nervous because I went wild and had him build it with teal tolex and aged grill cloth. Hope its not too pimped out.
My PRRI is one of the Orange ones they released back in 2010. I'm making my 15" combo traditional fender black with aged grill cloth :D

otaypanky

Play it like you mean it ~
Platinum Supporting Member
It sounds like a Deluxe Reverb was needed in your case. My '78 DR is hellish loud. I just had a bar gig 3 weeks ago where both myself and the other guitarists used our silverface PR's. We couldn't get them much over 2-3. How I was able to use a Twin Reverb w/Altec Lansing's back in the mid seventies is now mind boggling to think about. The only amp I wish I had never sold was my 1971 Vibrolux Reverb which I did to get the Twin. Back then it was all about having the biggest baddest setup. Didn't really think about how it limited my tone, it just had to be loud.
Thanks Salfordlad,I had a DRRI at the time also. I liked the tone of the PRRI much better, but as mentioned only at the lower volume levels.

Trending Topics