Another quick low volume Fuchs clip...

Discussion in 'Member Video and Sound Clips' started by Deaj, Aug 16, 2005.

1. Deaj

Deaj Member

Hi everyone,

I'm still working on low volume recording possibilities. This clip is a SM57 pointed just outside the dustcap and 2 inches off the grillcloth. Volume is 2:00am apartment friendly (real quiet).

How does it sound?

Another low volume Fuchs clip

2. t0neg0d

t0neg0d Member

Ok... this kinda makes me rethink my harsh opinion of the SM-57. This tone is rockin!! You bastage! You post it here before sending it to me? :D

Btw... your tuning is out... perhaps you should consider lubing your nut and streching your strings out more before offending my important ears with your substandard recording efforts... I mean, the guitar was invented to appease me and give the world a chance to bask in my glorious self... blah, blah, blah, skippy, wham... hahahahaha (p.s. the ring kissing ceremonies will commence soon).

Remind you of anyone?

I think I just reached a point where it has become my quest to tag on this guy.

Check out the new sig!!

3. Unburst

Unburst Member

The reason a lot of guys don't like the 57 is because it is very directional (why it's a good onstage mic) so mic position is critical, more so than almost any other mic I've used.

If you spend the time to find the sweet spot they can sound great.

Deaj, that's a great tone for any volume.

4. matte

matte Senior Member

A noble and ambitious quest, to be sure. Don't forget to pack some thicker skin and a dictionary. :)

5. KHK

KHK Silver Supporting Member

Tone has alot of flesh and character which is usually missing from the low vol recordings that you hear. This one would be hard if not impossible to pick out as such from a line-up. Amp sounds like it's in the sweet spot to me...good sustain, good highs-lows, nothing missing. Excellent!

What does the signal chain look like? Nevermind...saw the other thread.

6. scottl

scottl Member

Very good Dennis! Keep them coming ;)

7. trisonic

trisonic Member

Dennis,
    Interested in hearing a Strat in full "quack" thru the Fuchs. You got one to hand?

Best, Pete.

8. Deaj

Deaj Member

Thanks for all of the positive feedback guys! I'm pretty novice with the recording stuff so this stuff is a great help! :)

I'm also pretty surprised by the results with the SM57 - a mic I've not had much luck with in past efforts. It appears that I have indeed found a sweet spot with that mic.

The Fuchs seems to carry the bulk of its mojo in the preamp as the magic seems to come through at any volume (though I like it much better at high volume :) ). The lows translate very well at even very low volume - a boon for me since, out of necessity, I spend most of my play time at home at lower settings on the MV.

I have an alder strat/maple neck with Fralins that covers the strat quack sounds well. I'll try to record a clip in the next day or two.

Thanks again all!