Another Reverb question (SA Ventris, Big Sky, something else?)

thebard42

Silver Supporting Member
Here is the story no one was seeking, I sold my Bigsky for a smaller foot print and purchased the Meris Mercury7. I have to say the sounds of the Meris are unreal, but I miss presets with feedback. While I have tried using midi controllers (MC6, DM3-XL), it is just not the same in the heat of the moment as a visual signifier of settings. I also don't love the "black box" aspect of the presets.

I use plate settings for a bit of space, and hall for that large open, depth sound. The Cloud was an engine I used frequently with the Bigsky, but I was able to get similar settings with the Meris.

So the crux of the matter is do I go back to a Bigsky, consider something like the Ventris, or is there another alternative out there I have missed?

Your thoughts, opinions, and general input are appreciated.

C-4

Not having owned any of these yet, but saving for a new board, I decided, after auditioning each on line, as there is no place near me which carries these reverbs, I am going for the Big Sky.

I love the sounds it provided in the presets. The Meris is a bit trippy for me, and the Ventris, as nice as both of these alternate units are, don't have the features of the Strymon.

Have you checked out the Boss RV-500 or RV-200?

Of course, ymmv :)

skiltrip

Silver Supporting Member
If I ever go big verb box again, I'd definitely go BigSky. Strymon just voices things the way I like. I'm currently using the Flint and that might be enough for me long term. If I do get the itch for something more expansive though, the BigSky is at the top of my list... unless Strymon has a new Reverb unit on the horizon. It has been a while!

Here is the story no one was seeking, I sold my Bigsky for a smaller foot print and purchased the Meris Mercury7. I have to say the sounds of the Meris are unreal, but I miss presets with feedback. While I have tried using midi controllers (MC6, DM3-XL), it is just not the same in the heat of the moment as a visual signifier of settings. I also don't love the "black box" aspect of the presets.

I use plate settings for a bit of space, and hall for that large open, depth sound. The Cloud was an engine I used frequently with the Bigsky, but I was able to get similar settings with the Meris.

So the crux of the matter is do I go back to a Bigsky, consider something like the Ventris, or is there another alternative out there I have missed?

Your thoughts, opinions, and general input are appreciated.
Bigsky (on big board w/MIDI) + Mercury7 (studio) owner here. I love both but just can't get away from the Bigsky ease of use, personally. The Ventris would seem to present some of the same difficulty, although I am not familiar with it at all. Would the presence of the app help at all vis-a-vis labelling/distinguishing presets? Could a Soleman help in the same regard (another piece of gear, I know).

Regarding MIDI, would it be possible to have a device that is sending CCs instead of PC message to the Mercury7? That way the stored values are all on the MIDI device and not the pedal itself, and you could view reverb 'preset' via the MIDI devices screen.

Just wait for the Meris/CBA CXM 1978. Sounds like your dream pedal.
Has anyone heard a quote on price though? This thing could approach a grand. It DOES sound wonderful from what I have heard.

thebard42

Silver Supporting Member
Some great ideas here. That new Meris Collaboration looks unreal, but I sense it won’t come in under $700.

I thought the Ventis has 8 led presets on board like the Nemesis; at least I’d know where I was.

The CC idea is a pretty good one, save the presets on the MC6 and send out the required settings, I might have to try that. But a simple PC would be much easier.

I had forgot about the new Boss pedals, I might have to a least audition one.

joshofsorts

Silver Supporting Member
If I was doing a lot of work with presets I would got for a Morningstar MC6; that way you could choose your pedals based on the sounds and features you like and not have to worry about the workflow as much...

The Ventris is just like the Nemesis as far as presets goes, although I think the Ventris might have more options as far as switching between them than Nemesis if I remember right (it's been a bit since I had them both). If that preset setup is sufficient for you, Ventris might be a good choice (it sounds fantastic). Both are great pedals.

Jacob Van Noy

Lots of BigSky love in here. I have one, used it for many years and dug it, Ventris came along and I haven’t played the BigSky since.

Ventris has that Lexicon Hall sound and I like the deeper voicing and dynamics of the tone better across the whole unit.

Mavlocus

Of the ones mentioned, I've only tried and currently own the Ventris. It does give you more feedback then the Meris. The Ventris has the option of 4 or 8 on board presets. You can actually have 2 verbs per preset (A/B) so you could actually have up to 16 saved sounds on board. I generally keep each song to no more then 2. I often set preset 1 to a short hall on A and then a long hall on B. It easy to switch between A/B

The Ventris also shows what reverb engine or engines (if using Dual Reverbs) are being used. Hall, Plate, Reverse, and Edome (probably closest to BigSky Cloud) are the main ones I use and are all great.

rootsrockray

Silver Supporting Member
Take a look at the Nuenaber with the EXP add on. Presets, fairly small footprint, great reverb sounds.

bulbasaur_85

Long time Bigsky user but recently switched back to the Mercury 7 (for the 2nd time!). I think the Mercury 7 covers my need for a "cloud" algo with the "cathedra" algo - plenty big and tweakable. You can connect the Mercury 7 to your iPad and Meris offers a Touch OSC template where you can visually see ALL the parameters (even the 2nd layer ones).

Bigsky is awesome, but I ended up only using the plate, bloom, cloud, and spring (sparingly). I've got most of those bases covered with the HX stomp, but the Mercury 7 fills in all the gaps for me.

-Hawk-

Silver Supporting Member
I use about 1% of what the Ventris is capable of, but it’s pretty much irreplaceable for me at this point. Just being able to have two distinct reverbs per preset that I can swap with a footswitch is enough for me. I think the quality of the sounds is too notch too.

See3po

There’s no mention of the Empress Reverb here. I’ve had the Empress, Ventris and Big Sky. I like all three for different reasons. The Ghost on the Empress is almost enough for me to keep that one by itself. If you can get your arms around it, it will save presets too.

Each colors tone a slightly different way. The BS has a certain “finished” quality to it that makes it sound great in Church-PA-like systems. The Ventris has a grit that I love for gritty stuff. Love the LoFi, Spring, and offspring. Has an oil can setting. The Empress seems to warm things up.

Best on-screen presets goes to the RV500. It always seemed to add a digital sheen to my ears.

It’s all very subjective. Soundwise, I think the Empress is up there with the BS and Ventris. But when I’m using a big box reverb, it’s the Ventris I find myself using the most due to size and flexibility.

But my truly most used reverbs right now are the DW, Flint and Météore.

OP really seems to be wanting M7+presets which is coming soon!

mambosun92

I love my Ventris, surely my last and definitive reverb box.
By the way, have at look at the Free the Tone Ambi space too.

VTReconcileD

GFI Specular Tempus.

I've owned them all - BigSky, Ventris (still have this one...on my second board), Liquid Ambiance, Meris, etc. Honestly, they all sound amazing. But I stuck with the GFI for a few reasons. First, reverbs are phenomenal...and so are the delays. Second, smaller footprint. Third, good display to show my presets. I actually have 2 on my board...one for delays and one for reverbs...or even to double up on some algos.

Honestly, I don't think you can go wrong with any of them. They are all so similar that any differences are insignificant.

thebard42

Silver Supporting Member
Take a look at the Nuenaber with the EXP add on. Presets, fairly small footprint, great reverb sounds.
I had one before the Bigsky, I liked the tones and the foot print, but if a knob was turned while the preset was recalled, it saved the setting when moving to the next one.

GFI Specular Tempus.

I've owned them all - BigSky, Ventris (still have this one...on my second board), Liquid Ambiance, Meris, etc. Honestly, they all sound amazing. But I stuck with the GFI for a few reasons. First, reverbs are phenomenal...and so are the delays. Second, smaller footprint. Third, good display to show my presets. I actually have 2 on my board...one for delays and one for reverbs...or even to double up on some algos.

Honestly, I don't think you can go wrong with any of them. They are all so similar that any differences are insignificant.
It is the differences that keep this place alive, I had thought about the GFI, might do some digging that way too.
OP really seems to be wanting M7+presets which is coming soon!
Something other than the new CXM 1978?

joebloggs13

Never owned the BS. I prefer Strymon's vintage style reverb sounds, and the Flint has that in spades. Had the MXR, which had that big, ambient lush style verb, and while it sounded great, it wasn't for me. Flint just works, and has the added benefit of Trem. :)

Trending Topics