1. The Rules have been updated regarding posting as a business on TGP. Thread with details here: Thread Here
    Dismiss Notice

Another Saul Koll Appreciation Thread -- a True Prince

Discussion in 'The Small Company Luthiers' started by larrylover, Jun 22, 2005.

1. larrylover

larrylover Member

For the first time this evening I played my Koll Glide Jr. that I bought from a fellow thegearpager.

The guitar is solid korina body and neck, rosewood board with a p-90 in the neck and a rick-style horseshoe pickup in the bridge position. The guitar came to me with a kinked neck which could not be remedied because the truss rod was broken. A local luthier recommended major surgery to replace the truss rod. Upon my contacting him, Saul Koll agreed to make the neck good as new. In addition, I wanted to change the volume and tone pots and included those with the sick guitar.

I received the guitar today, and the work is stupendous. The neck looks untouched and the finish is outstanding. The guitar plays beautifully. The horshoe pickup was the big attraction of the guitar -- I thought and hoped it would have a wild sound, i had Robert Randolph's trebly sound in mind. The sound is phenomenal. The horshoe makes a trebly sound with harmonics jumping out everywhere. It is very raw sounding -- like Neil Young's microphonic pickups -- but wonderfully musical. The guitar was originally made for a professional musician with which to play slide, and you immediately see why. Many David Lindley-type sounds coming from this unassuming marvel.

The neck p-90 has a fundamentally darker sound (not much of a surprise)., but there are many musical colors in that pickup. I had volume contraints given the time of night I could play, so I cannot wait to really open up my amp and allow the pickups to shine.

In short, I am thrilled with this guitar. And I have Saul Koll to thank for giving incredible attention to it even though he was helping someone who had bought one of his products used.

Superb work. I am grateful and thankful to Saul for his efforts and am looking forward to many more hours with this nasty guit.

2. jjhboots

jjhboots Member

I have 2 Koll's on order and I can't wait to get them. His guitars are getting rave reviews from people here on TGP.

3. Jason Calieri

Jason Calieri Silver Supporting Member

Would any of the Koll guitars be well suited for higher-gain, heavy rock type stuff? Not metal, but hard rock. Is it possible to spec them with pickups other than P-90s?

4. larrylover

larrylover Member

Undoubtedly. Here are the obvious options:

(1) The Glide Jr. is a solid body rock and roll guitar. An LP Jr. type guitar. I think the standard material is mahogony but, as above, korina is available as is, I would think, any other reasonable material given that Koll's guitars are custom made. Meaning you specify what you want.

For example, the Glide Jr. I just received, if paired with the right amp and if it had a trem arm for dive bombing, would clearly get the kind of sounds Zakk Wilde generates with Ozzy Osbourne.

(2) The Toronado -- a Glide Jr. with a group of modifications designed in collaboration with a certain very creative, influential musician. Will give you incredible feedback, if I understand correctly.

(3) completely custom design.

Any of the guitars can be loaded with any kind of pickup the two of you agree upon. Again, Koll is a custom maker.

5. cocheese

cocheese Supporting Member

+1

Saul is "good people". I have a Koll on the way as we speak. It should land here at the end of the week. (I'm speechless.) I have another Koll in the planning stages right now. (I'm equally as excited about this one!)

Saul is simply a true gentleman and a joy to work with. He's one of the folks that you love to see doing well and thriving. A+++++++++...... :)

6. Jim Soloway

Jim Soloway Supporting Member

Saul is an absolute champ. Every few months I get an e-mail from him turning me on to a new piece of hardware, tip where I can find a supply of really choice wood, or just some kind words on a new guitar that we've built. He's a great builder and an incredibly nice man.

7. decay-o-caster

decay-o-caster Member

And he makes archtops too. I'm kind of sitting here quivering quietly while I wait for mine to arrive. :)

And he's such a fine human being to deal with besides.

8. larrylover

larrylover Member

I didn't mean to imply that I thought there was a business relationship between Messrs. Koll and Splatt. Of couse, I don't know, and Mr. Splatt set that to rest. I only meant to say that the Tornado (sorry for the use of the wrong name -- I corrected it via edit) apparently reflected certain particular changes to the stock Glide Jr. -- whatever stock means to Mr. Koll since it seems many aspects of his models are subject to player specification.

+1 to the use of certain p-90s for heavy guitar sounds.

9. Jason Calieri

Thanks! I actually don't know much about P90s, and I guess I incorrectly assumed that they were geared more towards clean or bluesy rock sounds.

The Tornado and Jr. Glide seem like really sweet guitars. DT, I think you're familiar with the band Helmet... when I play high-gain stuff, that's kind of a target tone for me... it's why I got into VHT... do you think a Koll would be well-suited for that sort of tone/style? I end up playing all sorts of other sounds and styles, but I'm a sucker for the Helmet thing and I definitely want to keep that in the arsenal.

10. Jason Calieri

Thanks for the info, guys!

11. big mike

big mike Moderator - EL34 Emeritas Staff Member

I got to see one / play one in person this morning. Fabulous guitar. Very impressed. Stevo57 brought by his tornado with Lollar P90's, and we compared to my Rio Grande equipped Thorn with P90's. Both Limba set neck guitar with trems.

Fit, finish and workmanship is as good as I've seen from any of the great builders around here. Top notch. Great playing and sounding guitar. Was great to really see the differences next to my Thorn. Different takes on the same recipe....

I want them both....:D

12. Stevo57

Stevo57 Supporting Member

The Korina and P90 main course, as cooked by chez Saul and Ron, served up with a side of Marshall handwired and Greens. Bellisimo!
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

13. hawkeyeinexile

hawkeyeinexile Silver Supporting Member

WayOutWest (Santa Clara, CA (not Canada))
    Stevo, that's my kind of stunning. congratu-effing-lations. next get-together we'll oughta pass this amongst big mike's p90 Thorn and my H-D p90 Chapin Hawk (korina neck) and savor each other's good fortune.

good on ya, too, Saul (once again)

:cool:

14. big mike

big mike Moderator - EL34 Emeritas Staff Member

Oooh nor cal P90/Korina fest!!!!

15. stratt

stratt Member

Just wanted to share in the Koll lovin'. I consider myself extremely fortunate to have been able to work with Saul, and to count him as a good friend. He deserves every bit of the praise he gets here. Wheather we're in the shop talking guitars, or drinking cheap beer at a baseball game, there is no better company to keep. Rock on Saul!

16. LSchefman

LSchefman Member

These are really interesting-looking guitars!

They not only look well made, there's a certain retro vibe to them that I dig. I want one.

17. Jason Calieri

Same here, I love the style, very unique and very cool.