Another "shipping to Canada" post

Gasp100

Silver Supporting Member
So, I have to ship a guitar to Canada today. I've researched as much as possible and I know USPS priority is the best way to go for sender and receiver. The only possible issue I have now is the size limitations of the guitar box. I used a slimmer/shorter Gibson shipping box (the smallest one I could find) packed extremely well. I did the label creation + custom form printing online via my USPS account. I think now all I need to do is hit up the PO and get the right envelope 2796-E and I'll let them tell ME how to finish up. Here are the particulars that I could find on size limitations (everything says length = 42" <which is ridiculous>, but there is an exemption for Canada for length + girth). Any input hugely appreciated as I don't want to mess this up with this particular guitar.

236.2 Size Limits

236.21 Rectangular Parcels

• Minimum length and width: 5-1/2 inches x 3-1/2 inches. <LI class=OL1alpha>Maximum length: 42 inches.
  • Maximum length and girth combined: 79 inches.
236.22 Circular Parcels

Maximum girth (measured along diameter): 64 inches.
236.23 Exceptional Size Limits

The maximum size limit for rectangular-shaped parcels of 42 inches in maximum length and 79 inches in maximum length and girth combined applies to all countries except as follows:
  • Maximum length and girth combined: 108 inches.Canada
    Hong Kong
My shipping box is: 45L + 18 + 8H (girth = 2xW + 2xH)
So the combined length + girth = 97"
I should be good, right?

:dunno

My shipping box is: 45L + 18 + 8H (girth = 2xW + 2xH)
So the combined length + girth = 97"

Those numbers add up. Check on maximum allowable insurance too, depending on the value of your guitar. I know that's been an issue for me in the past. -GFI

Scumback Speakers

Platinum Supporting Member
You're good to go with the 45/18/8 box for 97" total girth. Make sure you mark it FRAGILE, and pack it EXTREMELY well, or you'll be sorry. Make sure you insure it for replacement cost, unless the buyer signs/sends you a waiver for lower declared value and knows this before you ship it.

Canadian Post is pretty crappy with shipping to Canada. I've had more than one speaker gasket ripped off/damaged by their customs or delivery folks. (Sorry Canadian members, it's the truth!).

Now I pack everything there with more packing than to other countries because of the way they handle speakers. Ask mayrandp, TGP member, he'll tell you all about it.

I once had to send replacement gaskets for a speaker because of Canada Post.

AD

Platinum Supporting Member
I've had many dozens of guitars and amps shipped to me over the years. Most by Canada Post. Never a single incident. Even the boxes pretty much always arrive in pristine condition. The only damage I've ever had to an item shipped by me or to me was caused by UPS.

THAT'S the truth.
same here and i've done too many transactions...Not disputing Southbay just seems like the law of averages tipped his way....

A

denver.p

I just want to thank everyone who takes the time to ship to us up North. It is pretty aggravating finding finding the perfect guitar or pedal, only to see that the person won't ship to Canada. So, thanks a bunch!

M

Member 995

I've had USPS turn down a guitar box for being too large. I went to one of the independent mail places and shipped it USPS. It cost a bit more and was frustrating, but it worked.

gtrshow

I just want to thank everyone who takes the time to ship to us up North. It is pretty aggravating finding finding the perfect guitar or pedal, only to see that the person won't ship to Canada. So, thanks a bunch!
+1 to that!!! :AOK

Festus

Gold Supporting Member
Here's a link to Priority Mail Int'l info. Size limit to Canada is 108 inches length and girth. Priority Mail Int'l has an insurance limit of $675. Express Mail Int'l offers more insurance, usually depends on the destination country.

http://pe.usps.gov/text/imm/immc2_017.htm#ep2107642

No, I don't work for the post office, but probably should. :messedup

whitehall

Your welcome. Now if you could just get the Japanese to ship to us here that would be great ....:drool

Trending Topics