Another SP tone quest...

Aquinas

I'd swear it's a flanger, but it could very well be phaser - or, most likely, multiple tracks treated differently, on the studio version.

Live, definitely flanger of some sort - likely EHX. At least on the verses - the "heavy" parts sound like something with a bit more pronounced pitch modulation. Speed changes, too. Could still be the flanger, though...

You could DEFINITELY get very close with a DEM or Hartman...

Zillie

thanks a lot Aquinas, you've pretty much confirmed what i was thinking as the DEM can do sounds between chorus and flanger and i was even thinking about that pedal but what kept me from that idea was that neither Billy nor Jeff don't have them in their rigs - they use MXR and Hothand flangers (but the DEM could be used for the recording, of course), the heavy parts sounds less flangey and, as you said, more pronounced, it kind of evokes Boss CE-1 on heavy settings...

Aquinas

thanks a lot Aquinas, you've pretty much confirmed what i was thinking as the DEM can do sounds between chorus and flanger and i was even thinking about that pedal but what kept me from that idea was that neither Billy nor Jeff don't have them in their rigs - they use MXR and Hothand flangers (but the DEM could be used for the recording, of course), the heavy parts sounds less flangey and, as you said, more pronounced, it kind of evokes Boss CE-1 on heavy settings...
Well, the Hothand/Soundblox flangers should be able to get you close, as well - that subtle sound on the verses is a very elusive flange sound, IMHO.

The chorus is likely just that - a chorus, rate up, depth up. Gives that almost-vibrato sort of sound...

Cool tones, anyway. Not sure about the song though, myself...

Zillie

yep, cool tones from the not so cool song and not so cool album, but (for me) it's one of the best songs on Zeitgeist but definitely doesn't get close to the older stuff (even Machina, which I like a lot)

Kev O)))

Billy has been known to use a wide range of effects but some of the most popular were:

BOSS BF-2 (MIJ)
A/DA Flanger
MXR Phase 100
Mutron Bi-Phase
EHX Small Stone

From what you're describing I would say the BOSS BF-2

-analog-

I love the pumpkins allot, what gives with the stage costumes? Billy has a "pseudo pajama" vibe goin on- bizarre..

Knowing the pumpkins love of layers, sounds like a chorus and flanger- maybe split in stereo- flanger on 1 channel, chorus on the other, flanger guess would be a BF-2 or the A/DA, chorus, who knows..

good song, obscure visuals..

Zillie

Knowing the pumpkins love of layers, sounds like a chorus and flanger- maybe split in stereo- flanger on 1 channel, chorus on the other, flanger guess would be a BF-2 or the A/DA, chorus, who knows...
yes, this would be the Pumpkins way, I guess... and for live playing they could chorus on one guitar and flanger on another but it's just a guess... what is clear is that there are different settings (and probably different effects) for the verse (flanger) /distorted parts (flanger/chorus/vibrato/something else)

Trending Topics