Another Strat thread

Discussion in 'Guitars in General' started by BurgundyMist, Sep 29, 2008.

1. BurgundyMist

BurgundyMist Member

Hi there,

I know there are already many threads about strats, but...

I've been playing lately a SG Standard, but I have noticed that I also "need" a Stratocaster. I like SG's playability and rosewood fretboards.

These guitars are my current options:
    62 AVRI Hot Rod
    62 AVRI
    EJ Signature (with coming RW fretboard)

The problem is, that my small local store doesn't have these in stock, so I can't try them out before buying... All three seem to be quite well built guitars and ok for the price range. Can you think of any other models I should consider besides these ones? Sunburst is the only color that is out of the question.

2. TS808

TS808 Member

The biggest difference between the EJ strat and 62 RI's that you might want to consider is the fretboard radius. The EJ if I'm not mistaken, has a 12-inch radius and the 62 RI's have the 7.25" radius which may be a bit of a "transition" from the SG you currently own.

I'd recommend either of those as both are well-built guitars. I'd also recommend a good look at the American Standard or American Deluxe as well. Both have a 9.5" radius, and have the two-point tremelo which some folks prefer over the 6-screw vintage trem.

3. BurgundyMist

BurgundyMist Member

Thank you for the advice. I have also been thinking about the 2008 American standard, I like the fact that those are few hundread euros/dollars less expensive.
    It still makes me wonder if that extra money is worth spending...

4. Glowing Tubes

Glowing Tubes Gold Supporting Member

The new 2008 American standards are really nice, I've played 3 or 4 of them and they all played/sounded very good.

RC

5. gkoelling

gkoelling Member

The EJ rosewood has a bound fret board.......funny looking.

The HR 62 gets great reviews and has a 9.5" radius. You can also pick one up used for around $1,200.00.

Good luck in your search.

6. BurgundyMist

BurgundyMist Member

I came back to thank you guys, last weekend I ended up trying and buying a new American Standard stratocaster, in Olympic white with rosewood fingerboard. It seems to be very well made, plays great, and 9,5" fingerboard fits me perfectly :eek:

7. gkoelling

gkoelling Member

Congratulations!

I've owned three Am Std Strats, nice guitars.

How about a few pics?

8. jackaroo

jackaroo Member

The hod rod is cool- as is the 62 RI...I'd suggest a refret though with the '62 RI. Perhaps re radius the board while you can to a 9.5- I also like to get better pickups.

12" is too flat for a strat IMHO it loses a big part of the feel to me.