ANOTHER Sweeping question....

Discussion in 'Playing and Technique' started by guitarguru666, Jan 31, 2012.

1. guitarguru666

guitarguru666 Member

Hi guys

I'm learning to sweep and so far I have the motion going quite smoothly. There is one thing that is bugging me though, when I sweep I hit the first note of (say an e minor 3 string arpeggio) twice. Once ascending and once descending. Am I doing it right? I only ask because I've saw quite a few videos where the guitarists are only hitting that note once per sweep and it made me curious. I want to try and perfect this technique as much as possible so don't want to get into any bad habits. Thanks to anyone that helps :)

2. Ethn Hayabusa

Ethn Hayabusa Member

Learn every way there is. I generally do a hammer on and pull off on the top string, and my next upstroke for the ascending part is on the B string. I do this because I prefer mixed articulation, but not everyone will.

I practiced every possibility when I was learning, however, so that I would have options. Flexibility is paramount.

Here is an example with 5 strings. If you want to continue with the 3 string style, just play the top 3 strings.

DD DDD H P UUUU
    ---------3-7-3------------------------------
    -------5--------5---------------------------
    -----4------------4-------------------------
    ---5----------------5-----------------------
    -7--------------------7---------------------
    ---------------------------------------------

3. guitarguru666

guitarguru666 Member

Thanks for the info :) i'll try that sweep tomorrow. I was only sticking with the 3 string sweeps until I know that i'm doing them correctly before moving on to the 4/5 string sweeps.Quite happy with my progress for two days practising though. I'll definitely try an learn the different ways to sweep.

4. Ethn Hayabusa

Ethn Hayabusa Member

Keep it up.

I also have to say, make sure that you are playing rhythmically consistent. Try quarter notes, eighth notes, eight triplets, and sixteenth notes against a click.

Many, many players sweep for speed, and end up with a messy blur. Being rhythmically accurate only makes you sound better. A lot of shapes sound better to me at medium tempos, where you can hear the articulation.

5. willyboy

willyboy Member

no problem with what you're doing. A lot of players that strike the bottom and top strings twice as the arpeggio turns around will simply add another note to those strings.

6. guitarguru666

guitarguru666 Member

Thanks, I'm getting there :) got the 3 string ones down, now its the 4 string ones -_-

7. Swain

Swain Member

One thing that I think is very important, is to work with 1/8 and 1/16 Note patterns at first. I see too many people start with Triplets or 12/8 stuff at first, and they get stuck. Probably because they aren't truly LOCKED into the rhythm. As mentioned above, be sure to do it all IN TIME.

Maybe make up some 4 and 8 Note Patterns to work through, and less of the 3 and 6 Note Patterns?