another tele pickup suggestion thread

Discussion in 'Guitars in General' started by minorseventh, Jan 6, 2008.

1. minorseventh

minorseventh Member

bridge:
    im looking for something raunchy and rock and roll for my highway 1 tele. i dont play clean, and i am looking for something that is ALMOST p-90ish in overall grind and mids. i.e. nothing sparkling, twangy, or polite.

Im not ruling out a stacked bucker, but i would rather stick with a single coil.

neck:
    something warmer obviously, yet still meanish. I have no idea if the body is routed underneath the guard, but I am open to lipstick, p-90, miniHB, PAF, one of those surface mounted GFS filtertron knockoffs... basically anything that has some Stank on it....

suggestions??!

2. gkoelling

gkoelling Member

3. pokey

pokey Supporting Member

Rio Grande Muy Grande. The big bottom set is nice- muy bridge and tallboy neck. Fairly quiet for sc's as well.

4. SW33THAND5

SW33THAND5 Member

the only set of rio grande p'ups that i ever heard were in an sg. a friend of mine bought them. they sounded like rio grande MUD. too dark and muffled.

the MOST FANTASTIC TELE THAT I ever heard was owned by a band member of mine. it was a custom shop tele that had ROLPH pickups in it. if i (when) buy another tele. i will definitely install some rolph pickups in it. the tone of that guitar is still ingrained in my memory. it exploded when he played it! (of course the komet half-stack he played probably had something to do with it too)

5. pokey

pokey Supporting Member

So you don't even own a telecaster and the only rio's you heard were in a friends SG?

What the hell does that have to do with anything?

Thanks for pissing on my post.

6. SW33THAND5

SW33THAND5 Member

i felt that i gave full disclosure. i have owned telecasters. i was very up front about my experience with rio grandes and the context in which i heard them. so, what does it have to do with anything? thats for you to decide. as for your thanks?? i am sure that it was quite sarcastic therefore i will not offer you a, "you are welcome."

[​IMG]:BEER

7. doublee

doublee Member

Peace, brothers above,...and dont forget Lollar, I quite like them. Had Bardens previously and I like them too but the bridge PU i got from Jason DIGS IN real nice, and the neck PU has some amazing richness to it. With a 4 way switch theres alot of good noises to play with,

e

8. Boogs

Boogs Member

Actually, I like the Muy Grandes. :D

Love'em in my ASAT Classic.

9. minorseventh

minorseventh Member

hey all. thanks for the suggestions, and pissing aside... do any of these have screaming mids and grind?? making my tele a rock machine remember!:Devil

10. 9fingers

9fingers Supporting Member

A different slant, the screaminest Tele I ever played (I own it) is CS Tele Jr. from the 90's. Chambered mahogany body, set mahogany neck & 2 viscious P-90's. If you want rude, panty soaking rock & roll from a Tele these can still be had via the 'bay at times.

11. AshlandBump

AshlandBump Member

The country I come from is called the Midwest.
  12. DaveG

DaveG Gold Supporting Member

I've got a set of Pete Biltoft's Tele-sized P90's that have become my favorites; Pete's a real craftsman, and he'll wind 'em to sound however you want: www.vintagevibeguitars.com

And Pokey's right, the Muy Grande set sounds great, and can cover a huge amount of tones. I've had the MG's in one of my Tele's longer than any other set, and they're still there; I've always used a 4-way switch with them. I still like them a lot, but after using Pete's T90's, they've definitely been moved to the #2 spot.

13. Realfi

Realfi trying to re-MEMBER Silver Supporting Member

I have a set of GVCG/Lollars too-great pickups, my all round fave Tele pickups but IMO the Lollar Specials in my other Tele do a better P90 job. Especially the bridge one with the tone rolled off a tad to emphasize the mid range.

14. minorseventh

minorseventh Member

now were talking!
    i didnt know Pete made a p90 tele sized. i have one of his dogears in my epi JR and i love it.

i am hunting down clips of everything mentioned so far. thanks again everyone.

15. twangbanger

twangbanger Supporting Member

How about a Fralin steel pole 43, has all the growl of a P90 and fits in your tele w/ no modification. Great sound PU IMHO.

16. blues

blues Supporting Member

17. Mike9

Mike9 Supporting Member

There's also the Duncan Quarter Pound, and yes the Fralin SP-43's sound huge.

18. stephenT

stephenT Supporting Member