• New Sponsor: ShipNerd, Ship Your Gear with Us... for less! Click Here.

Another true bypass/buffer question….

charley

Gold Supporting Member
Hi friends,

if I am using an “always on” pedal, do I still need a buffer? Or does the “always on”pedal do the buffering for me?

In context, I am using a Minifooger Boost as an “always on” tone enhancer. My other pedals are all true bypass.

Would I benefit from a dedicated buffer, or would it be redundant?

thanks!

The-Kid

Pedal Art: Providence Dealer
Vendor
Its really up to you and if you hear a significant difference when its plugged in I would say check one out.

Plug into the board without it in chain, listen....

Then add it into chain and listen......

If you hear a stark difference and you feel your signal is being affected in a way you dont like then consider a buffer.

Last edited:

monty

Have to agree with The-Kid, really have to try it out yourself. It is all rig-dependent, even the amount of pedals you are using will effect the outcome.

8len8

Silver Supporting Member
The Minifooger boost is first in the chain, always on. Only 5 pedals on the board
You’re fine as is. In the end, only concern yourself with these things if you feel your tone is bad. Done go down the rabbit hole of trying to optimize it.

charley

Gold Supporting Member
No. It is true bypass, but is always on……bringing me back to my original question. If a pedal is always on, does it act as the buffer all the way down the line, leaving no need for a stand alone buffer?

John Mark Painter

Gold Supporting Member
Some pedals sound very different after a buffer. So yes, even an always on can change.
Whether that change is better or needed is up to you

“Dedicated Buffer”? Not for me.
DOD Rubberneck has an optional buffer.
I have an Orange Two Stroke that usually hangs in the middle of my chain

Hugh Manitee

No. It is true bypass, but is always on……bringing me back to my original question. If a pedal is always on, does it act as the buffer all the way down the line, leaving no need for a stand alone buffer?
A buffer changes the typically high impedance in-coming signal, to a low impedance signal. So does most any engaged pedal in the signal path.

Generally yes, your "always-on" pedal effectively acts as a buffer.

Buffered bypass pedals are always on, even when they're off (disengaged from signal path).

Generally a buffer is most effective positioned before as many true-bypass pedals (and cable) as you can manage, but you may also benefit from having a buffer at the end of a series of pedals as well.

Certain effects, such as many fuzz units, want to see the high impedance signal direct from the guitar and sound best positioned before any buffering (or pedals which will be engaged at the same time as the fuzz).

tubekingsley

Hi friends,

if I am using an “always on” pedal, do I still need a buffer? Or does the “always on”pedal do the buffering for me?

In context, I am using a Minifooger Boost as an “always on” tone enhancer. My other pedals are all true bypass.

Would I benefit from a dedicated buffer, or would it be redundant?

thanks!
Input Impedance: 1M
Output Impedance: 100
Same specs as a dedicated buffer, so you're good

CarlGuitarist

My guess is you don’t need a dedicated buffer. I personally like having something buffering at the end of my chain, but that can usually be handled by a reverb pedal.

Trending Topics

Top Bottom