Another Trussart added to the collection! Steel Top!

Discussion in 'The Small Company Luthiers' started by sickboy79, Feb 20, 2009.

1. sickboy79

sickboy79 Member

I added another Trussart to my guitar collection today - this is my 4th! I've also got a Steel Deville, Steel Caster, and Steel Caster Deluxe. I picked up this Steel Top from Jay Rosen - vintage/boutique guitar dealer in the Bay area. I've been wanting to add one of these for a long time. I found the right one with Jay.

She's a beauty to me! I was never really into the worn/rusty finishes on the Steel Devilles or Steel Casters but, something about that type of finish on a Steel Top just worked for me. I eyeballed quite a few before I chose this one - I liked it because of the finish. It's almost like a tiger stripe or something like a brindle coat on a Bulldog of Boxer when you look at it in person. I just fell in when I saw it. It really doesn't look like some of the other rusty versions I've seen.

She came today - I cleaned her up, oiled the board, and restrung with my favorite strings (Everly B-52s - 10 guage). Mahogany body and neck, 59 profile. Duncans - I think! I'll have to check - Jay thought they were - so they are either Alnico IIs or Antiquities. I'll be able to tell as soon as I plug in. She rings like a bell acoustically. Unbeliebably resonant. She ways in around a little lighter than my Steel Deville in the pic - probably just below 9 lbs. Time to plug in and put her though the paces with the Clubman!

I've always leaned towards traditional guitars like LPs, Teles, Stats, Gretsches, etc - but, James Trussarts have really changed all that!! They are some of the best guitars in my collection! A couple pics below (sorry, I'm not the best photographer - but, they'll do!!!).

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

2. frisco kid

frisco kid Member

nice! Steeltops are my favorite Trussart model. Congrats on a real beauty!

3. sickboy79

sickboy79 Member

Thanks Frisco - I know you've got a couple!!! I appreciate it!

4. Rebel-Guitars

Rebel-Guitars Antique Silver Member

5. Tramp

Tramp Gold Supporting Member

Sweet, sweet guitar, Sickboy! I played my Steeltop out for the first time last night and was pleased, but not surprised at how well it worked in the mix. This is one guitar that loves a cranked amp! What I was not ready for was all the folks coming up asking about the guitar. Several insisted on running their hands over the top (antiqued coppertop with roses). I had the hardest time convincing one person in the room that it was not a very old, much loved guitar. Good stuff. Enjoy yours!

6. WR Guitars

WR Guitars Member

Hey I definitely remember that one! we don't do that many of Rusty Steeltops... Glad you love those guitars man!!
    What are the other ones?
    BTW, I have a shiny Steeldeville Holey Back that I have to let go (unfortunately), it is in a perfect shape, if anyone interested...

7. wingwalker

wingwalker Fuzzy Guitars

Very nice!

Let me ask, I've been thinking pretty hard about a Trussart lately...do the Steel Tops still have the Trussart tone or are they closer to a more classic (wood) guitar???

8. mojocaster.com

mojocaster.com Member

Superb! Enjoy her in good health :)

9. paintguy

paintguy Long Hair Hippy Freak Silver Supporting Member

Congrats on the guitar. James' stuff is awesome!

10. paintguy

paintguy Long Hair Hippy Freak Silver Supporting Member

William, post your guitar for sale in the guitar emporium. You will have much better luck.;)

11. XKnight

XKnight Member

Looks great! Congrats and enjoy.

12. sickboy79

sickboy79 Member

Thanks again for all the compliments everyone. I appreciate it!

Well, to my year - yes, the Steel Top still has that Trussart tone. I've also got a Steel Deville, Steelcaster, and Steelcaster Deluxe - so those were my reference points before plugging this one in. The Steel Top does have that classic wood guitar tone but - with some added zing and character on top from the steel top. It's hard to describe - you can almost feel it as you play. Very warm and resonant - but, with a cut that is hard to obtain in other guitars. I hope that helps. I'm sure I'll be able to describe it better as I get more stick time.

13. sickboy79

sickboy79 Member

One week stick time and a lot of time with her tonight. WOW! AMAZING guitar. The resonsance and the resonsiveness of this guitar is amazing. I kinda scratched my head after playing it for over an hour tonight into a cranked Matchless amp - what is my other favorite guitar? It's that good!! Yeah - that good!!! Go check one of these out if you can! I'm on the one week honeymoon - but WOW!!! I haven't said that about a guitar since my last Trussart!!! Seriously - good stuff!!!!

14. frisco kid

frisco kid Member

Glad you're loving the Steeltop! They really are the best of both worlds...organic warmth of wood and unmistakable Trussart 'sparkle' from the metal top. In 30 years of playing and going through 50 or so guitars in that time, my Coppertop is the best of the bunch. Chronic GAS pushed me to foolishly offer it up for sale/trade to see if maybe there was something even better but I came to my senses, it's not going anywhere. Enjoy yours!!!

15. sinner

sinner Member

Hey, Sickboy, those Trussart's look great, congrats!

I was up at Fretted Americana the other day and he had about 5 Trussarts. I was able to spend some time with each, very enjoyable and informative. I always liked the way they looked, but now I know how well they play. Oh yeah, they sound great!

16. PaulE

PaulE Supporting Member

Something about the necks on those that just feel amazing to me.

17. xdisciplex

xdisciplex Member

if i ever buy another trussart its gonna be a steeltop, i had a steel caster and i liked it but for heavy rock tones it didnt work for me and i think a steel top would be a better fit for my music since its wood and steel.

18. datguytim

datguytim Supporting Member

Nice Pic! Glad to see your still diggin' the SteelDeville! Lookin' good!