Another tube question... Matching 12AY7's.

anewstatic

I've decided on buying some 12AY7's to replace the 12AX7's in my amp. I wanted to buy a pair of NOS 12AY7's and then maybe buy one EHX 12AY7 for the third spot.

My question is this... I keep seeing matched pairs of 12AY7's. Is it okay to mix 12AY7's? I know it's important for power tubes to be matched but my understanding is that matching tubes isn't a big concern in the pre-amp section.

My current schematic is 1 Phillips NOS 12AX7 and 2 JJ 12AX7's. I'd like to swap out 2 matched NOS 12AY's and 1 EHX 12AY7.

Your thoughts on this?

Blue Strat

Mix and match (you don't need matched anything in preamp tubes) away. Some people might be under the impression that they need matched tubes so we offer them to those who do.

donnyjaguar

If the tube supplier offers matched tubes then you'd better buy them matched. That's because if you don't there's a much greater likelihood those that aren't matched are way out of matching. The law of probabilities here!! :)

ScioBro

Is one of those spots (the third)
your amp's phase inverter spot?

Maybe somebody else will chime in cuz I don't know:

Can a 12AY7 be used in a PI spot which usually calls for 12AX7 or 12AT7?

I'm trying 12AY7s also, but only in the first pre-amp tube location.

Blue Strat

Is one of those spots (the third)
your amp's phase inverter spot?

Maybe somebody else will chime in cuz I don't know:

Can a 12AY7 be used in a PI spot which usually calls for 12AX7 or 12AT7?

I'm trying 12AY7s also, but only in the first pre-amp tube location.
It's definitely OK to use them in PI sockets designed for 12AX7s. Not a common swap, but every week for over 10 years someone comes up with something they like that I'm surprised about.

Trending Topics