• TGP is giving away a Strat, Tele, and Jazzmaster. Click Here for full details.
    Click Here to upgrade your account and enter today!

another U2 reish

Joe Robinson

Platinum Supporting Member
One of my favorites. Some of the best songwriting U2 ever did. I do get annoyed when Bono starts a lyric with the word "And". Walk On has one of those turkey beginnings. But the rest of the album is great.

sws1

Whenever I listen to 'Beautiful Day' it reminds me of early U2. Edge is the only guitarist I've ever heard who can get a 'chimey' sound out of Vox amp. I think his picking style and the delay effect have a lot to do with that.
It's the pick. Really.

shane8

wiki sez ............

20th anniversary edition[edit]
On 30 October 2020, All That You Can't Leave Behind will be reissued on CD, vinyl, and digitally in commemoration of its 20th anniversary.[45] The album will be remastered and released in Standard, Deluxe, and Super Deluxe editions, all of which will include the song "The Ground Beneath Her Feet", previously a bonus track, in the track listing. The Super Deluxe box set, containing 51 tracks, will feature: a 32-page book of photography by Anton Corbijn; B-sides and outtakes previously released on Unreleased & Rare and The Million Dollar Hotel soundtrack; complete audio from June 2001 performances in Boston (taken from the concert video Elevation 2001: Live from Boston); and 11 remixes, 4 of which were previously unreleased

I'm going to say that All That You Can't Leave Behind is my favorite U2 album, more than the Joshua Tree or Achtung Baby. And the reason is a culmination of things. It's a great record in it's own right. But seeing them live in November of 2001 right after September 11 really cemented this album in my heart. It was such an emotional concert. I cried when they played One and showed the names of everyone that was killed that day. It's the one time I went to a rock concert and felt a very deep spiritual presence there (some would call it the presence of God). I loved Beautiful Day and Elevation, of course. But when they did New York, Kite and Walk On, those were such amazing moments in my life.

Whenever I listen to 'Beautiful Day' it reminds me of early U2. Edge is the only guitarist I've ever heard who can get a 'chimey' sound out of Vox amp. I think his picking style and the delay effect have a lot to do with that.
I hope they put out one more album with the classic U2 sound. I totally get an artist wanting to move on and evolve with their music. I've done the same thing with my own music. But Edge's guitar with delay on it was such a huge soundtrack of my youth.

JimmyB

Gold Supporting Member
$330 for the vinyl box and $150 for the CD box. :omg

Methinks the boys from Dublin are skint at the moment... for some unknown reason! :huh

I love U2, and this album in particular... but clearly this set ain't aimed at my demographic...

TubeStack

Silver Supporting Member
Agree that it's a great album. It's the album that brought me back to U2 in a big way, at the time of its release, but it's also the last U2 album I listened to in its entirety and/or bought. 20 years... wow.

Trending Topics