Another WCR Thread...

Discussion in 'Guitars in General' started by DiazDude, Jan 27, 2006.

1. DiazDude

DiazDude Member

I picked up my Rossington SG & 92’ SRV Strat yesterday. I had WCR pickups and RS Guitarworks kits installed in both, Goodwoods in the SG and SR’s in the SRV.
    Jim Wagner is a GENIUS. The Goodwoods, like the DarkBursts in my R8, opened up the tone in the Rossington BIGTIME. Being able to back off on the volume and not have the tone turn to mud is so cool. The WCR/RS combo is amazing.
    The SR’s in my SRV sounded great when fired it up when I got home but in rehearsal last night is where they really shined. In EVERY Strat I’ve owned It seemed I always had to play them hard to get good tonal response. The SR’s are the most responsive single coils I’ve ever heard. “Touch Sensitive” is a understatement. When you play softer the tone remains. When you play more aggressively they stay musical. No harsh tones even in the bridge position.
    BUT what struck me was how they cut through the mix in the band setting. I didn’t have to play as hard to get what I wanted out of the guitar. That has NEVER happened with ANY Strat I’ve owned. In the “Pepsi Challenge” my 60 NOS Strat still sounds good but I have to hit it hard for a good response and it still doesn’t cut through like the SR’s in the SRV. The dynamics are unreal.

Thanks to WCR. Jim, you’re the best in the business.
    & RS Guitarworks rules!!!;)

2. DiazDude

DiazDude Member

The Goodwoods SOUND like they have a little more output than the DB's. But thats on the SG. It depends on the guitar. I love the DB's in my Les Paul, super singing tone.
    Email Jim @ WCR and tell him what you're looking for. He'll help you out.
    http://www.crcoils.com/About-Contact/about-contact.html

3. Scott Peterson

Scott Peterson Staff Member

I find the Goodwoods are just a perfect mix of mids, just "phat" sounding and balanced. Darkbursts are slightly less output and more PAF. All just degrees though, not massive differences.

Congrats on the WCR's - I found them in spring 2004 and have never second guessed using Jim's stuff since. I have 4 guitars that are my main guitars - all WCR.

4. DiazDude

DiazDude Member

Yep, I thought you'd chime in Scott. You know how hard it is to describe the improvement Jim's PU's make. They're fine instruments themselves.
    Next up for WCR's for me are my "Korinas", Flying V & Explorer. :dude

5. bikerdude2

bikerdude2 Member

But it is clearly an improvement! :BEER

6. brianf

brianf Member

I have Fillmores in my 2003 R7. It was a guitar that just sat in the case an never got played other that my son using it now and then.

Kept hearing about WCR this and WCR that. What the heck lets try them out.

Well they took a dull lifeless guitar and gave me a reason to play it again. Just GREAT SOUNDING pups. I will have to pick up an RS kit too.

brianf

7. Mr.Hanky

Mr.Hanky Supporting Member

Well, the only thing that comes into play is the bridge pup, as Jim will tell you the neck pups in each set are near identical.
    I had DB's in my R7 but wanted a little less bright and a little more chunk from the bridge, so I got a Goodwood and that was that. The GW bridge has a bit more beef and less high then the DB bridge, so it all comes down to the guitar and the player ultimately.
    Jim mentioned that winding the GW bridge is no small feat, hence the extra price. Maybe he will chime in here and clear things up, I am going from memory.

8. Scumback Speakers

Scumback Speakers Gold Supporting Member

Darkwoods? DARKWOODS?? WTF... oh, you meant Darkbursts....:BEER LOL

9. Scott Peterson

Scott Peterson Staff Member

Geez, I need some sleep, eh? Yea, typo from me. Sigh. :D I edited and fixed it.

10. papersoul

papersoul Member

WCrs are awesome but don't forget about Wolfetone. I recently started buying Wolfetones and they are fantastic pickups to say the least.

11. davidkiddmusic

davidkiddmusic Member

Anybody played the Crossroads set out of an ES335 by any chance?

If so, what'd you think?

12. tjs

tjs Senior Member

Does anybody know anything about Jim's Black Magic pickups?

13. tjs

tjs Senior Member

I haven't, but based on the clips I would think that they would be perfect together (now if only someone could get a 335 with Crossroads into Clapton's hands instead of those damn Lace Sensor-loaded strats...):RoCkIn

14. suhr_rodney

suhr_rodney Supporting Member

LOL!!! Well said! :D

15. Jim Wagner Pickups

Jim Wagner Pickups Member

Hey Mr. H !! :p
    Your memory must be in damn good shape for your age....:p How the heck are ya? I can't much to that ,if anything.

For davidkiddmusic : that was the exact tone I was looking for in the 1st place. Although I used Muddy's help on an SG to dial them in, the song itself was on a 335, and I have a set in my own personal 333 for that very reason. I went with the 333 because it's basically the same exact axe, but the 333 has a plastic cover over the controls.......hahahaa:RoCkIn

16. davidkiddmusic

davidkiddmusic Member

Sweet! Good to know. Thanks Jim. I'll definatley be contacting you after the 14th of Feb to order a Crossroads set for my bday present to myself. Cant wait.