Another "What amp is for me?" Thread

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs' started by JMarck, Apr 25, 2008.

1. JMarck

JMarck Member

Ok, here's what I'm looking for:

-Good Cleans
    -Warren Haynes type od channel (work well with h/b's and SC's)
    -Great with pedals
    -30-50 watts
    -Head
    -$1000-$1500

Any ideas?

Thanks!

--Josh

2. nitehawk55

nitehawk55 Member

Not to be a smart assed remark but why not go out to music stores , try several types in your price range and decide for yourself , you ( and others who post the same question ) shouldn't let others decide what sounds good for you .
    Lots of on line research available too .

Once you decide on a few models that might be your style come on back and get some comments from others who have the same to see how they take pedals , reliabilty issues....etc .

3. Rock72

Rock72 Member

On the other hand, it is often easier to start looking at amps and research them after having received tips from fellow forumites. Depending on where you live, you may not have much availability.

I don't know if it will match the OP's criterias, but the Budda Superdrive II 30 heads usually sell in the given price range. Great cleans, plenty of drive on tap from slight break-up to almost high-gain. In my book great bang for the bucks.

4. Flah

Flah Member

Try a DSL50. It has GREAT cleans and is perfect for pedals. 50 watts, in your price range, head..... I don't know Warren Haynes's tone well enough to say that the DSL50 is it, but here's a video I did with my DSL50 to give you an idea of it's range of tones.

5. jimfog

jimfog Senior Member

Josh,

I just got a Rockytop JTM45/50, and it sounds like exactly what you'd want. Huge, sweet cleans, great breakup.......really fairly priced. You're welcome to drive down and try it sometime. It would make a KILLER A/B rig with that Super (you still have it, right??? I want it back, if you sell!!!!!!).

Ooooops.......just saw you want an OD channel.....well, in that case, try a Marshall VM.....heard a guy in Sam Ash with just a strat, switching channels, and it was AWESOME....everyone sounded great....I was truly surprised......as was he.....he bought it! lol

- Jim

6. JMarck

JMarck Member

Jim-

That's the top contender at the moment, (the Rockytop). I can get that tone with OD pedals. Yes, I have the Super, and that's not going anywhere! lol Also, that is exactly what I was planning on doing!

--Josh

7. jimfog

jimfog Senior Member

It takes OD and fuzz pedals as well, if not better, than any amp I've owned. Maybe only a Dr Z Route 66 (another GREAT amp to check out) took them better.

I haven't spent much time on the 50 (plexi ) side, as the 45 side is perfect for me.

I also have the Power Scaling. I can let you know after gigging how well that works.

- Jim

8. scottlaned

scottlaned Member

If you want Warren Haynes, why not just get a Soldano?

Hot Rod 50s used run in your range.

9. re-animator

re-animator Senior Member

I really like the budda suggestion. Seems to be a good best fit. Creamy liquid gain and liveley cleans in the same amp. Also check out a mesa lonestar. Kinda modern-sounding fendery cleans, and mark 1 sax style gain. If that doesn't fit the bill I would consider something like an A/B setup with a fender bandmaster or bassman head for cleans, and a mark ii for gain for something like that.

10. tennisplayer

tennisplayer Senior Member

How on earth did you get that DSL sounding so good? Everyone I've owned or tried, I loved the cleans, but the Od was thin and harsh.