1. The Rules have been updated regarding posting as a business on TGP. Thread with details here: Thread Here
    Dismiss Notice

Another "What Pedal(s) should I try" Thread - Please reply

Discussion in 'Effects, Pedals, Strings & Things' started by TimH, Aug 3, 2006.

1. TimH

TimH Member

Ok,

I'm getting severe G.A.S. for some OD pedals. Right now I have an RC Booster and a Monte Allums TS-9 that I quite enjoy for what they do. What I'm looking for is a pedal to do the big distortion/boogie rectifier type sound, something to do a FAT lead tone and something to do a fuzz/distortion for leads. The front runners in each category are as follows:

Distortion:
    Mi Audio Tube Zon

OD:
    Eternity
    Zendrive 2 (I'm recently on the list but this will take a long time)

Fuzz:
    BJE PPF (based on Fatback's clips...something less expensive would be nice here)

So I know this covers a lot of ground and that there will be many opinions but I'd just like to try some things. For reference, I'm an Anderson Classic guy and run through a DRRI and Bad Cat CubIIR. Ideally if I can make the DRRI work by itself I will.

Thanks a million,

Tim

2. eknapier

eknapier Member

"What I'm looking for is a pedal to do the big distortion/boogie rectifier type sound, something to do a FAT lead tone and something to do a fuzz/distortion for leads."

Maybe everything you are looking for is in a Keeley RAT? You will probably especially like the "Phat" mode, but there are 3 to choose from.

For really super fuzzy leads, I still think nothing comes close to the Big Muff style, I've been through a few clones and currently my favorite is Da MOAF. But the RAT also crosses over into fuzz territory, the most flexible of the two for sure.

3. TimH

TimH Member

I had a Keeley RAT and didn't like it. I'm looking for more of a tube amp like pedal. I also should be clear...I am looking for multiple pedals here.

4. markom89

markom89 Senior Member

get any of the skreddy pedals... trust me, theyre wicked! (I only have a mayo, but am waiting on two others!)

5. stompbox

stompbox Member

Tonebone Hot British

6. Unburst

Unburst Member

Xotic BB Preamp

7. TimH

TimH Member

Skreddy would be new to me. I've had a BB Preamp and have extensive experience with the Hot British.

8. Phil M

Phil M Member

TimH, what didn't you like about the Keeley Rat? The only pedal I've heard of that's based on the sound you're looking for is the MI Audio Tubezone--the new ones even have that Dual Rec aesthetic. I'm in the same boat as you and the Tubezone is a front runner for what I'm looking for. The Tonebone Hot British and Keeley Rat are the other two.

9. drolling

drolling Member

Tim, there's just so many great pedals in the categories you've described.. I've had to stop the search and devote more time to playing - which is another way to say I'm broke..

..but sounding good, thanks to stuff I've picked up since I started hangin here @ TGP

MI Audio; I've got the BluesPro & CrunchBox- both very good pedals, tho' I get a wider variety of tones w/the BP. The pedal you're considering's got tons more bells & whistles, but I haven't heard it (except for clips, which have never helped me - fun to listen to, but often very misleading)

Hermida & Lovepedal; I got a Zendrive before all the hoopla started and it doesn't do much for me - I can get a nice lead tone, but only w/humbuckers, and that's it. Eternity, on the other hand, has a surprising number of applications- from treble boost, thru' crunch rhythm all the way to the edge of full-bore distortion. One of my all-time favorite pedals.

The only other manufacturer you've mentioned that I can comment on is BJF; No experience w/Bjorn's fuzzes, but the HoneyBee is easily one of the most unique & interesting drive pedals out there. While it imposes it's own character on whatever rig I'm using, it's dynamic response is more *amp-like* than any pedal I've used. Hitting it w/boosters and/or other ODs produce the most natural sounding compression & distortion I've heard from a stompbox.

I've also got a BJF SeaBlueEQ, which serves as a great tone-shaper at any point in the signal chain. Such a versatile, musical pedal - I really wish I had two of 'em. A good EQ'll take your whle rig that much further..

I'm gonna stick my neck out here, and recommend something that's not on your list; A RetroMan Sybil. This is one cool fuzz pedal. Two in one, actually, w/a ge & si circuit that can be run seperately, in parallel or series. I was expecting over-the-top fuzztones, and Sybil does not dissappoint in this regard - but I was surprised at all the other functions this pedal fullfills.. nice rangemaster-style treble boost & dirty rhythm tones when you roll back the gain on the pedal (or guitar!).

Good luck on the hunt!!

10. TimH

TimH Member

Thanks so much guys!

Drolling - how would you say the Honey Bee is Compared to something like the RC Booster? I've always thought of it more like a clean boost...but would to work better than an RC for adding some grit and girth to the front of a clean amp and then running other pedals into it?

Sounds like an Eternity is something I need to try out. Everyone goes on about it and I do like the tones I'm hearing from it on clips...which I agree...can be misleading.