Another "Which Amp for Me" Tread

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs' started by Stringrazor, Jan 25, 2008.

1. Stringrazor

Stringrazor Member

I'm currently playing through a old Peavey Rockmaster rack preamp. I use it out of the rack into the front end of a vintage Deluxe Reverb or in the rack with a Peavey 50/50 amp and a 2x12 cab w/CV30s. Both configurations sound good, though going through the DR's front end isn't optimal it works well enough and only adds a bit of hiss (inaudible once the drummer kicks in). I'm not much of a OD pedal guy and I really like the clean/crunch/lead settings that are switchable via foot pedal.

For easier setup, I'd like to get a 1x12 combo with fx loop that has the same switchable clean/crunch/lead capabilities for under $800. Someone suggested a Mesa Nomad 45 1x12. I haven't had the chance to hear one yet but opinions on this amp seem to be scattered. They don't seem to get much respect here at TGP.

What other amps fit these requirements?

2. justonwo

justonwo Member

Rivera Chubster would be one. Zinky Blue Velvet another.

3. Stringrazor

Stringrazor Member

I tried a Chubster a couple of years ago while LP shopping. I liked it quite a bit but only remember being able to switch between clean and one OD sound. I'll have to look at it again.

4. mlj_gear

mlj_gear Member

What about just getting a Peavey Ultra or Triple XXX combo? Personally I think they're quite nice amps (especially for the money), and they'll be very familiar to you after using the Rockmaster. I never really cared for the crunch channels, though.

A Mesa DC-3 would sort of do what you're looking for... clean channel, drive channel, and drive channel plus graphic EQ. How about a Traynor YCV-40WR or YCV-50 (or now the YCS-50, too)? I don't really think I would call it a three channel amp, but I don't really think of the Rockmaster, Ultra, etc. as three channel amps, either... more like two channels with a footswitchable boost.

I'm also itching to try out a Carvin Legacy. Wish they made a 112, though.

5. Stringrazor

Stringrazor Member

I don't think the Rock Master is 3ch either as the crunch & lead settings share a tone stack. Besides the crunch/lead switch setting, the gain knobs for each of those settings is a pull switch and kicks up the gain even more (add another stage?). Without mods though, they're not foot-switchable.

I'll put the Peaveys, Traynor, and Mesa on the list to look at closer, thanks.