Another which Strat pups...again

Discussion in 'Effects, Pedals, Strings & Things' started by wleeds, Jun 13, 2006.

1. wleeds

wleeds Member

Which of these for an 89 Strat Plus, Alder, no tbx, to sound full, thick, punchy,
    still a little twang: Dimarzio VV's didn't do it at all. Original Gold laces are close.
    Which of these:
    Fender CS69
    Fender CS54
    Fender SCN
    Suhr V60
    or......

thanks,
    mark

2. wleeds

wleeds Member

3. leftyaxeslinger

leftyaxeslinger Member

hmmm...maybe some Kinman AVN Blues. They're pretty warm in my alder body strat, yet still can get pretty twangy at times.

4. Mooncusser

Mooncusser Member

I cannot imagine using anything but Custom Shop 69's.
    I have always wanted to try out the Kinman woodstocks, I must admit.
    But the '69's are just the cat's meow to me.

It depends on what tone you are looking for.
    I am a old school player who loves early to late Hendrix bluesy stuff.
    The custom shop '69 ad from the fender custom shop that reads:

"THUMPING LOWS and TRANSPARENT HIGHS"
    Is a very good description of the dynamics of those pickups.
    Of course, alot will have to do with what you play them through to.
    Take care,
    Mass

5. Stormin

Stormin Supporting Member

The answer is NONE, and I don't mean to be a wise ass either. Of the 18 or so Strats I've owned in the past, I've never gotten the same the results in a guitar by just picking a set. Some PU's work in some Strat's and some don't. The guitars tend to vary that much IMHO. I had a set of Fender CS '54 Fats that were awesome in my '74, and terrible in everything else.

The best advice I can give you is to find a neck, bridge, and middle (one at a time) that work with your particular strat's personalities. I.E. is it a bright guitar to begin with? Is it muddy or middy? I tried this for my '68, and it was worth the research. I wound up with a Duncan custom shop Nashville Studio neck (now called the 2/5), and Little 59 in the bridge, and a harmonic design in the middle.

As an aside, I do hear that the CS '69s are killer...

Stormin!

6. mavrick10_2000

mavrick10_2000 Member

7. MAGICboy

MAGICboy Supporting Member

8. TDavis

TDavis Member

I really like my Adders!

9. Mooncusser

Mooncusser Member

Ya know........
    Stormin has a good point there.
    I have a second project strat I am working on, and I really don't have the funds right now to buy THE set I would like to for it, so I am mixing and matching a mish-mosh of spare pup's that I have.
    Both strats are different woods and there will be a difference in which the tonality of the CS 69's will deliver.
    I would like just add on a few other considerations.
    1. know what tonal wood you are dealing with (Body and Neck)
    and what style of PUP is best suited for that wood.
    There are many compatable/ non compatable mixes depending on your target tone......you gotta read up on that one, but it is VERY interesting when you do.
    2.Understand your target tone, and do some research on what pups are most suitable for that tone (then apply that to how they would interact with your body and neck wood.)
    3 Factoring in the amp you have or want is a very important choice as well.
    Those pup will interact with the guitars body woods, and ultimatley will be delivered, transformed and tonalized through your amp and speakers.

Let me give you an example;

I play a strat with CS 69's through a Marshall 1959 SLP w/ 1960 A 4x12 (G12h30's)
    Due to the combination of the dense sustaining northern ash my guitar is made of, coupled with a rosewood (darker tone ) fretboard...I am working with a guitar that is natrually bright, and has sustain. I chose the rosewood to tame down the brightness, but it continues to yeild the sustain. A 1959 SLP plexi is by nature a bright rig on it's own, inherently. That combo, being played through the plexi means a brighter tone.
    I know I like old style 60's blues, but I want clarity and a pup that isn't to hot, or I am going to create a different target tone that I want.
    That is why I chose the CS 69's.
    They are underwound, allowing me more clarity at higher volumes.
    it took me some homework to put all of that together, but I 'm glad I did becuase I am very satisfied with the result.
    I hope that helps out some.
    I'm sure someone could word it better, but if you really want to be surgical about it, all of those factors must entertain the choice of PUP.
    Take care and best regards,
    Mass

P.S. I'll tell you right now that if your late 80's strat is made of poplar, and you had to choose a pup out of the ones you listed with the tone you described, the CS 69' would be a great fit.
    Just my opinon........
    lots a good pups out there.:crazy

10. Luke V

Luke V Member

What amp are you playing through? Makes a whole lot of difference.

11. EXP

EXP Supporting Member

WCR SR's, they sound better than some pre-CBS pups ive heard including some 1959 pups ive played.:eek:

i want to try some Lollars im my next strat.

12. Digitalman

Digitalman Member

The last guitar I bought is a CS '69 Strat - as far as single coil Fenders go...I'm done. The CS '69 pups are incredible.