Anti-GAS Tri-fecta Poll: The longest you've gone NOT buying, selling or trading gear?

Discussion in 'Guitars in General' started by DGTCrazy, Apr 1, 2014.

What's the longest period of time you' gone without Buying, Selling and Trading gear?

1. 30 days or less

2. Between 30 - 90 days

3. Between 90 - 180 days

4. Between 6-9 Months

5. Between 9-12 Months

6. Over 1 year or more

Multiple votes are allowed.
Results are only viewable after voting.
  1. jota

jota Member

I just sold a guitar that I had up for sale for more than half a year and I'm planning on keeping everything as it is, at least until black friday!
    Fingers crossed.

2. Paul Rathjen

Paul Rathjen Member

It had been 3 years but I've bought 3 this year ......

3. OddJobb

OddJobb Member

About a year, give or take couple of months,,,lol Though, my last buy, was also the most I've ever dropped on any guitar!!
    Finally own my first Zemaitis Guitar, an A24 MF, and now one of my favorite Ever!! Love that Sexxxy Girl!!! ;-)

4. bertramladner

bertramladner Supporting Member

I have a fixed gear income so I trade or sell something if I want something new. I'm donw to 2 amps a 2 electrics, 3 dirt, one delay, and a reverb. Nothing over 2 grand used either. A month is average for gear flipping

5. phoenix 7

phoenix 7 Silver Supporting Member

Not buying much gear these days. I haven't bought a guitar in a year and a half and don't foresee any new guitars any time soon. I feel set. My guitars are great. If I want them to sound better, I practice. Which I do for several hours every single day.

savofenno likes this.
  6. KCWM

KCWM Member

I went from November of 2013 to January of this year. I picked up a used Blackheart Lil' Ant 1w head. That led to the itch for a true humbucker guitar which led me to one of the new PRS SE Custom 24s, which led to me picking up a Peavey Forum Plus bass, which led to me getting an OCD again and buying a Distortron. Fortunately, we sold some stuff around the house and I'm breaking even on the bass and pedals. I'm selling the bass the Forum Plus replaced to a friend, and once I sell this OD pedal, I'm on my to recouping money for the Lil' Ant. The PRS is on 24m/0%, so that hardly counts, right?

7. guitar5

guitar5 Member

Having a wife, kids, and not making much money has meant that I haven't purchased any new gear in a long long time.
    It's worth the trade of course, but it still hurts.
    On the plus side I've been forced to work on my technique to improve tone!

ducker 1 likes this.
  8. kafka

kafka Supporting Member

I went 10 or 12 years without changing any gear after I got married and had kids. I think I sold an amp for rent money once in that period. Buying stuff just wasn't a priority. Lately I'm pretty impulsive.

9. LReese

LReese Member

My last guitar purchase was in Dec 2012.

I've bought a few pieces since then - rack stuff, power supply and the odd thing. No guitar amps.

I'm looking to break the drought - My 1st Gibson, probably a R8.

10. Pat Therien

Pat Therien Member

what you just said speak to me ... when your forced to focus on what really matters the most
    Spending time to work your technique and your tone at the source
    and also Focusing on the music at his core is much more rewarding and satisfiying than always seeking for the next piece of gear.

I must admit i just had my craziest GAS/Gear Swap during all the winter.
    And the best piece of gear i got was free.... a new philosophy of how i see Guitar
    At least it did'nt take me too long to Really understand that less is really more.
    Too much people seem to endlessly seek to find the ultimate piece of gear that will give them their TONE when they does'nt even know how they want to sound like !

You sure get expériences by buying a lot of gears and finish to know what you don't like but that can be a long and expensive road.

to me now, its like a good saxophone player. you just need to find a connection with your instrument, and that way you can express yourself fully.
    Tone really is in your fingers, but don't get me wrong we all love to have THAT sound, that 10% that complete our style.

Last edited: May 25, 2017
  11. Raidermofojeff

Raidermofojeff Member

I'm counting stings and picks, so I checked 90....
    I own 16 guitars and 12 amps including a 5F1 champ in the build stage, knocking on 50 pedals or so.
    My problem is that I almost never sell anything! Like the new owner has to be worthy....
    That never slowed me down enough...LOL

12. Timcito

Timcito Member

I ticked 90 to 180 days. Over the last 10 years, I'll bet I haven't gone 6 months at any time without adding or adding and subtracting something. Hopeless!

13. Just Play

Just Play Member

Except for a Gibson acoustic I acquired around '97, I quit buying guitars decades ago. I picked up several used instruments along the way in the '60s and '70s. I still have them all and they are all the tools I need. Likely more than I need.

14. pickaguitar

pickaguitar 2011 TGP Silver Medalist Silver Supporting Member

I haven't purchased a thing in about 6 years

15. Johnny21

Johnny21 Supporting Member

Does picks and strings count? They're like consumables.

I'm GAS'ing so bad for a Suhr Alt T Pro

16. Fendermanbluesjr

Fendermanbluesjr Member

Selling something I guess it's been about 10 years. I sold a bass and bass amp then. That's the only thing I've sold in 20 years. It's been 10 years since I've bought an amp. I haven't bought a brand-new guitar in probably five years but I'm always on the hunt for something used, very cheap, and interesting. I don't mind having to fix A piece of gear myself to get it where I want it.

17. Lick That

Lick That Member

I went almost 15 yrs with just my first Strat, marshall amp, dunlop wah pedal and a tube screamer..........i then dabbled a bit here and there......... but in the past 2 yrs i've purchased 4 amps including a couple of home practice amps (backstar artisan 30H and cab, line 6 DT25, yamaha THR and an amplifi 30), added and sold a few guitars (now holding onto my original strat, SG 24 anniversary edt and LP gold top) currently building my first serious pedal board...... sometimes i feel like i still suck as bad as when i started, but then someone hears you play and just for that moment when they're hanging on to your playing you realise how far you really have progressed...... right back to that pedal board and my next purchase - Keeley D&M drive

18. morgan918

morgan918 Member

19. cap47

cap47 Member

Just bought a Gretsch last week ! :)

20. Pastafarian

Pastafarian Member

Mine was over a year but it wasn't by choice LOL

84superchamp likes this.