Anti-GAS Tri-fecta Poll: The longest you've gone NOT buying, selling or trading gear?

Discussion in 'Guitars in General' started by DGTCrazy, Apr 1, 2014.

What's the longest period of time you' gone without Buying, Selling and Trading gear?

1. 30 days or less

2. Between 30 - 90 days

3. Between 90 - 180 days

4. Between 6-9 Months

5. Between 9-12 Months

6. Over 1 year or more

Multiple votes are allowed.
Results are only viewable after voting.
  1. cap47

cap47 Member

Just sold my Black Gretsch last week ! I only have 6 Guitars left, what am I gonna do ?

2. MkIII Renegade

MkIII Renegade Member

About 6 years due to interest in a new hobby (fast cars) and general unhappiness with the dull late '90s/early 00s music scene. I already had several good electrics and amps, but the desire to get a better acoustic is what initially brought me back. The last 10 years have been a buying frenzy to put it mildly!

I've never particularly cared what is "popular" is music culture at a given time, but man the late '90s burnout was lame in my view. Creating and recording are my favorite aspects of music, although you can't fake inspiration. It comes and goes.

savofenno and cap47 like this.
  3. savofenno

savofenno Member

My latest off-period was late 1996-spring 2005. Almost 9 years! After that, from last december to this july.

It`s usually every 3-4 months between i purchase something.

4. cap47

cap47 Member

I am already getting the GAS for a new Gretsch Acoustic Electric !

5. 84superchamp

84superchamp Silver Supporting Member

I had to have help with my addiction: retiring with a limited income did the trick. Last purchase was a cheep SG in Feb 2016.

6. cap47

cap47 Member

I did it again !
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

7. jwguitar

jwguitar Member

I just got this Washburn Parallaxe its the first guitar Ive bought in about 3 and a half years.

www.joeweinbergguitar.com

cap47 likes this.
  8. wmachine

wmachine Member

9. evan47

evan47 Member

12 years, but I had given up playing for the whole time. started again 2 months ago and already sold one!

10. PepePlexi

PepePlexi Member

The last 8 years.

I own the best four guitars I have ever seen or played. No more GAS to me.

11. DGTCrazy

DGTCrazy Moderator de Emporio Staff Member

Wow...I haven't checked in for a bit but I'm really impressed with the discipline of some you you fellow musicians. Myself, this has been the least amount of gear I've purchased over a one year span in years. I picked up just three pedals, ( a OKKO Diablo GH model, a Strymon Riverside and a Montreal Assembly Count to 5). And what reminded me of this thread was what I got just today; a Traveler Guitar. It's one of their new models called "The Travelcaster" in Surf Green with a maple neck, bone nut, two point trem in an SSS configuration. I have an original Traveler guitar, but I really never didn't like the setup, (especially when it came to changing strings).

But the Travelcaster is a Strat players perfect companion IMO for when I travel. It's only 5 lbs and comes with a nice padded soft case. Here's a pic, but it's on back-order at Sweetwater. Figured for just $7 a month with no interest for 48 months that it was definitely not a divorce-worthy purchase when it shows up on my dooorstep:)

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

cap47 likes this.
  12. Magnets And Melodies

Magnets And Melodies Member

I definitely need help not buying.. bought 12 guitars this year. Literally can't afford to do it again. I'm resolving myself to not buying another guitar for at least a year. I figure after hitting the 1 year mark, a lot of the drawl to buy gear may be used up. It's kind of like that that never ending cycle, you buy another one to feed your addiction, and you are addicted because you keep buying another one lol.

Hey.. it worked with me for not drinking. 1 year clean in a month from now. After this long I don't even crave a drink, or think about it. I feel like GAS just kind of replaced that for me this year... which made me realize I have deep rooted issues to resolve, but the way I see it.. buying guitars is a lot less dangerous than drinking myself into a morgue.

Either way.. bought my last one this morning. The good thing is, I bought the one's I've been gassing over for years. I can't think of anything I don't have that I'd want at this point... and it's forced me to thin the herd with other gear. Anyways, done for at least a year now.

Buttcrust likes this.
  13. cap47

cap47 Member

Keep up the good work on the drinking ! I am 18 yrs sober and have 7 guitars now. I just had a gig bag delivered yesterday for my Gretsch Rancher that I bought a couple weeks ago.

Magnets And Melodies likes this.
  14. StratmanSteve

StratmanSteve Member

Checking my records, it appears that I did not buy, sell or trade any gear between July 1993 and November 1999. Dark times -- unemployment and divorce -- that took me a long time to recover from. Since then I've made up for lost time. My current streak is 44 days . . . but I'm weakening.

15. Primus DuPont

Primus DuPont Member

From the time I first started playing guitar when I was about 17 or so I have taken several multi-year breaks. I got into a banjo phase for a few years and didn't play guitar at all. The past 3 years have been pretty GASsy for me though (this site really doesn't help), I've bought and sold a lot of pedals, a few amps and a couple of guitars in that time.

I generally sell off a few pieces of gear before buying something new, which helps keep my collection modest. I currently have 2 electric guitars, 1 amp and 6 pedals.

16. HaroldBrooks

HaroldBrooks Member

As of the last 5 years, 30 days, if you include what I purchase to fill in the gaps (NOS tubes I'll never use, Speakers I'll never use, etc...) Otherwise it would be every 6 months or so.

Before that I was out of it for 25+ years. Big mistake that was.

17. morbid

morbid Member

been just over a year now (do cables count?), would say 2-3 years, but when the EHX Mel9 debuted, the symptom was severe and instantaneous (as it was for the B9)
    now im mellowed out

18. Buttcrust

Buttcrust Member

I never had any guitars age 0-6 ...Since then , well ...hmm lol :)

19. Buttcrust

Buttcrust Member

[​IMG]

upper right , age 6 , lower left Harmony archtop thing , age 7 lol new $19.95 1960-'61 lol :) that is when I started obtaining instruments , and , I haven't stopped , yet , and probably never will :) I like guitars ...I think you all do , also ,maybe , probably

20. Buttcrust

Buttcrust Member

I always wondered why those bridge things have that big hole in them ...Is there any purpose to that hole ?