Anti-GAS Tri-fecta Poll: The longest you've gone NOT buying, selling or trading gear?

Discussion in 'Guitars in General' started by DGTCrazy, Apr 1, 2014.

What's the longest period of time you' gone without Buying, Selling and Trading gear?

1. 30 days or less

2. Between 30 - 90 days

3. Between 90 - 180 days

4. Between 6-9 Months

5. Between 9-12 Months

6. Over 1 year or more

Multiple votes are allowed.
Results are only viewable after voting.
  1. Buttcrust

Buttcrust Member

I always wondered why those bridge things have that big hole in them ...Is there any purpose to that hole ?

2. Buttcrust

Buttcrust Member

I stopped smoking cigs in my late 20's , I smoked for almost 15 years , 2 packs a day :( started kind of in my mid teens. I now and did when I stopped, put that cash towards guitar stuff . I slowed down to almost 0 , drinking and other "things" too. well mostly lol I like guitar stuff much better. I like spending my hard earned $ on guitars and guitar stuff ,computers , DAW's , other instruments and recording things too. I believe it has been better for me , certainly more healthful and hygienic ...maybe ...probably :)
    peace :)

Magnets And Melodies likes this.
  3. dmhi11

dmhi11 Member

I had a GAS attack two years ago that was insane. I've sold probably $5-$6k of stuff on reverb as a result and purchased just a bit more. It's finally subsided, but man--for a while there it was a real problem. I need like a GAS Anonymous group or something.

Coolidge and 5cr33nager like this.
  4. vokeyz

vokeyz Member

My dad and I constantly give each other GAS; but typically I succumb to it more quickly. I just love playing with new toys. In recent months its been more about the building rather than the buying...Does that count? If you're buying to build something you're GASing for? :D

5. Peter Van Nostrand

Peter Van Nostrand Member

Summer of 2016 I bought a Line 6 Helix. Up until last week, I hadn't bought anything major. But, Friday I ordered a 5k masterbuilt Tele. Super excited!

6. ThePitbullofLove

ThePitbullofLove Member

I started buying gear in 1987. I stopped in 1996. From 1996-2009 I bought nothing. I received a three pack of Elixir acoustic strings in 2006 from a guy doing a karma giveaway in a gun forum. So, thirteen years without a purchase....but that was because I totally quit playing and sold off everything I had, (at the time maybe eight electrics, three acoustics, three basses, and 6-7 amps) save a Marshall combo amp, an Ovation acoustic, and a Fender Jazz bass. I even traded my last electric (a 1987 Desert Sun Yellow RG550) for a set of King Cobra golf clubs... *gasp*

7. TwangAddict

TwangAddict Member

No movements in my rig since last year. I guess it's because my first son. And lady :dunno.

8. leftygeetar

leftygeetar Member

9. Shades of Blue

Shades of Blue Member

Being an electric focused lead player from age 13 to 28, I've taken a major 180 degree turn and am now focusing on acoustics. I'm intoxicated with acoustics actually, and I find electric guitar boring and lack any sort of inspiration. This has been going on for several years now, and I've considered selling my PRS SC245 and just keeping my strat for the occasional blues noodle. I'm also extremely tired of the "rig." There is something freeing about not having to plug up and adjust the rig everytime I want to play guitar.

But to answer the question, I have now gone close to 4 years without purchasing an electric guitar. Acoustics on the other hand seem to come and go every couple months.

10. DGTCrazy

DGTCrazy Moderator de Emporio Staff Member

Ugh........I've owned the OKKO Diablo + for a long time now and LOVE that pedal...so I broke down and got that as well as the Bogner La Grange. But that's a hell of a lot better than in past years. I've only purchased a few items this year..........and I sure can see the results in the savings account:)

11. jnovac1

jnovac1 Supporting Member

none of the above. there’s always something going on.

12. BedroomRockStar01

BedroomRockStar01 Member

Sold all my electric gear and didn't buy/trade/sell anything for 2-3 years afterwards. Mainly played a Bourgeois dreadnaught during that stretch. Stumbled on a good deal for an LSL stratocaster and bought that and a Carr Sportsman. Then went another year without a purchase. I've started picking up a few things here and there over the last 2 years since.

13. LTE

LTE Member

10 years I guess.

14. Jarick

Jarick Member

Feel like I've got to join a GAS group!

I stopped playing and didn't buy any gear for several years. When I picked it back up, I got a cheap guitar and amp. Then it slowly increased over time.

At the start of the year I bought a Fractal AX8, then swapped it for a Helix LT this summer. I had just finished overhauling a pair of guitars, then tried a PRS SE and ended up selling both my LTD's to get an SE Custom 24 and 245. Of course for both of those I had to overhaul the electronics including new pickups. Then I got a G&L ASAT Tribute. Somewhere in there I overhauled my Fender Strat completely with new pickups, pickguard, tuners, and bridge as well.

A few months ago I went nuts and sold all three imports and bought two American guitars (PRS S2 Mira and G&L ASAT Special). Then I traded in for a new set of monitors and a little Fender Bassbreaker tube amp. Last month I swapped out the Strat pickups again and actually just bought a new bridge for it yesterday.

For 2018 I'm going to see how long I can go without any major purchases (not counting picks and strings).

15. wahfreak

wahfreak Silver Supporting Member

Why is this a pinned thread?

16. WALL-E

WALL-E Member

Probably no more than 5 years. I'm 35 now and I think somewhere between 23 and 30 I went 5 straight years without adding/subtracting gear. I went apesh*t this year and bought way too much stuff and will downsize over the coming months...and after that hopefully I can get a year or two of settling in with what i have and actually focusing on playing.

17. Coolidge

Coolidge Member

Ditto I binge drink on gear, here's the current bender...

INBOUND...

1986 Charvel Model 3
    Two Notes Torpedo Live

LANDED...

2017 Charvel Pro Mod So-Cal
    EVH 4x12 cab
    Roland RD2000 keyboard & KC350 amp

18. jkg

jkg Supporting Member

for the same reason there are "Desperate? Call the Samaritans" signs before most tall bridges. it's a a symbol of hope for the gas-inflicted.