Anti-GAS Tri-fecta Poll: The longest you've gone NOT buying, selling or trading gear?

Discussion in 'Guitars in General' started by DGTCrazy, Apr 1, 2014.

What's the longest period of time you' gone without Buying, Selling and Trading gear?

1. 30 days or less

2. Between 30 - 90 days

3. Between 90 - 180 days

4. Between 6-9 Months

5. Between 9-12 Months

6. Over 1 year or more

Multiple votes are allowed.
Results are only viewable after voting.
  1. aaron1433

aaron1433 Member

I've mostly downsized in the last few years. I've experimented with my pedals and setup in the last year, but in the end came back to similar albeit smaller version of what I had. (Tuner, OD, el cap).

I'm down to one amp (showman) and two cabs (one guitar, one bass).

But I'm still wheeling and dealing.

2. jota

jota Member

I'm reaching the three month period without buying nothing.
    There's a couple of things I want. I have some money on my paypal account but, since I can't decide on what to do with it, I'm buying nothing for now.
    Funny how a €20 pedal killed my GAS...

3. picnic

picnic Supporting Member

I just ended a 3 year non buy period. I have my "Core Four" Strat, Tele, Dot and LP that have all become my #1's. But I left my nicely upgraded Epi Dot at my house in Florida when I came back to NJ for the summer and I missed the Dot feel and playabilility. I found a blonde, upgraded Epi Dot here last week in the for sale ads. It was in NJ too, fair price and now is in my hands. Happier camper with a Core Four +1.

4. stratguy23

stratguy23 Member

I tend to kind of buy/trade in waves, so there’s usually 3 months between purchases, and most of those are parts that are under $100. I’ve recently been into building and modding guitars, so I’ve only bought 2 pedals in the last year+ (and I’ve sold more than double that amount). When my wife and I were saving and getting ready for our wedding, I went quite awhile without a purchase. Ditto for when my son was born. That period was such a blur due to lack of sleep that I honestly can’t remember how long I went without a purchase, but it was at least 6+ months

5. winstonsmith

winstonsmith Member

Approximately 60 years.

6. bojomojo

bojomojo Member

From 2001 to 2014.

7. 98G2PRU

98G2PRU Member

I bought my last guitar in 2004 - a Fender 50th Anniversary American Deluxe Strat. Since then I haven’t bought anything of substance other than replacing practice amps every couple of years.

+

8. naveed211

naveed211 Member

Any type of gear? Not long at all. I had the same guitar for years and years, But was cycling through amps.

I’d say twice I went a year with one guitar and one amp combination, but I was buying pedals.

Always something.

9. RoTel

RoTel Member

My 2017 Fender George Harrison telecaster, tapped me out, since it was released on 8-22-17.

10. SlightReturn

SlightReturn Member

I don't remember.

All I know is since I started jamming and doing paid gigs a year and a half ago, the GAS has been especially out of control. I'm also a guitar tech and am obsessed with pickup winding, mods, and all sorts of things. So if GAS includes buying guitar hardware, pickup building materials, electronic components and wood and all that stuff, then I am COMPLETELY screwed.

30 days is out of the question there. More like 3 days...maybe. :)

11. IAm MI

IAm MI Supporting Member

I may make sales or trades on guitars, but I am declaring myself done on buying pedals and amps. Last purchase of:

Pedal: mid-February
    Amp: mid-April
    Guitar: Umm...last week. But I have a "one in, minimum three out" rule now.

12. Mr. Cloud

Mr. Cloud Member

LOL... It has to stop at some time, right? I've come to the same epiphany with pedals and amps.

IAm MI likes this.
  13. Mr. Cloud

Mr. Cloud Member

LOL... But arent you glad it did? Sometimes when the GAS hits hard you get tunnel vision and buy stuff you will never use or only use a few times.

maestro007 and jota like this.
  14. maestro007

maestro007 Member

Bought a Gibson 60s tribute friday..then paid for Gotohs and well next check Im looking into specific condensors and Im always buying pedals to see if they belong. I have like 30 pedals of which so far out of them Ive got 4 that made it to th board so far! Of course I love like those 4 very much and at times one will get use...But the rest are stock piling up lol. One day Ill have maybe a full 10 pedals so I suppose Ill end up buying another 35 to get there lol.

--------------------------
    By the way off topic. Has anyone ever seen a Les Paul Satin 60s Tribute that did not say les paul on it? Its real so trying to figure out if the previous owner rubbed it out or a factory mistake. Will that devalue my guitar??

15. maestro007

maestro007 Member

Damn I can relate to that!

16. jota

jota Member

(un)Fortunately I found a Supatrem for cheap and bought it.
    Had one that I sold last year but was missing it and I got another for almost half of what I payed initially so I had to do it.
    Just came from my first band rehearsal with it and it's going nowhere this time!

maestro007 likes this.
  17. maestro007

maestro007 Member

When my pedal board is done and Ive got these 6 other amps I want, a new roland TDk, a second Boss L2 system, a good holowbody Im searchin, better bass because mine Pbass got mesed up so Im using a copy, more condensers, and an apollo system....Ill be lmost halfway there I swear!

18. Mr. Cloud

Mr. Cloud Member

We all can. But thankfully, its the kind of thing that you learn from and never do again. Everyone, no matter how smart or dilligent can fall prey to good advertising. LOL It jkust ti9ckles your fancy for the moment, and in that moment you purchase. But with the benefit of hidnsight you realize that no matter how popular the company is, that the pedal you bought really serves no purpose and will collect dust or be traded. :D

maestro007 likes this.
  19. Captain Midnite

Captain Midnite Member

I'm a small-time musician, but full-time, so I spend money when something needs repair or replacement, or a new gig justifies a new axe.
    I bought a POG to emulate a 12-string in studios. Would like a real one, eventually.
    Or, I'll save up the money for a D-10 pedal steel, and then have to pay bills instead. Or something.

20. maestro007

maestro007 Member

Yeah and the pedal thing is just one of many things...Yeah the word your looking for is impulsive maybe. I do so many impulse buys without thinking. lol A lot of my purchases are impulse buys. Whoa let me play that for 10 minutes. Whoa that sounds great. Im buying it now. lol. Then at home....hmm you know this really doesn't go with my rig or my sound blah blah oops I should pay that bill first lol.