1. The Gear Page is run by musicians for musicians. We listen, we learn and if we misstep we are not afraid to do the right thing. We proposed some changes to the Emporiums. Based on feedback from members, we have decided to not go ahead with those changes. However, it has also highlighted that we need some community input into what is working and what is not working for members here. Primarily focused on the Emporiums, we'd like input on your thoughts about TGP and how things work in the Emporiums for you and how you'd improve them. The discussion thread on the is here!

Dismiss Notice

Anti-GAS Tri-fecta Poll: The longest you've gone NOT buying, selling or trading gear?

Discussion in 'Guitars in General' started by DGTCrazy, Apr 1, 2014.

What's the longest period of time you' gone without Buying, Selling and Trading gear?

1. 30 days or less

2. Between 30 - 90 days

3. Between 90 - 180 days

4. Between 6-9 Months

5. Between 9-12 Months

6. Over 1 year or more

Multiple votes are allowed.
Results are only viewable after voting.
  1. josh.rigaud

josh.rigaud Member

A year.... this last year and that's ONLY because i move out of the U.S. The gear market blows where I am at. Otherwise I would be buying/trading on the weekly

2. SouthernShred

SouthernShred Silver Supporting Member

Almost 3 years...and I’ve been absent on THP most of that time. My presence indicates I just sold a bunch of stuff and I’m going nuts on Reverb lol

Coolidge and terickson like this.
  3. scolfax

scolfax Supporting Member

3 years, ever since I bought a Helix. I told my Sweetwater guy that he should never have sold it to me. I used to flip pedals like crazy.

4. Coolidge

Coolidge Member

Does it really matter when you binge buy/sell after to make up for lost time?

5. Litterick

Litterick Member

6. King Loudness

King Loudness Member

I went from mid August of 2018 to just after new years without buying any guitars or trading anything. I did sell a couple of small things in that time frame but it was mostly to fund other non-gear expenses.

W.

7. SmartAlex

SmartAlex Supporting Member

No more than a month.

I just sold a Les Paul, Black Ash pedal, and bought a TS9 for the unpteenth time.

8. guitardirky

guitardirky Member

Played for 15 years. Sold everything off after a burnout with by band and close friends. 10 guitars, 8 amps, & countless pedals. Custom Shop, vintage you name it. I probably had it and sold it ALL off.

Now, 6 years later, I've just bought a guitar again.

9. Mickey's dad

Mickey's dad Member

I probably went 5 years or so a couple of times when I was young and broke. Once I started making enough money to be able to afford a little ( and I mean a little,nothing vintage or super expensive) I'd say 6 months! I've been looking to see if I could consolidate some gear, effects really because my guitars and amps are pretty much set in my mind ( LOL yeah right as my wife says). Been going thru some pedals to see what I could sell. But then the consolidation might lead to a smaller board, maybe some A-B switch pedals, etc so really it never ends even when I am trying to pare down and simplify!

10. tele_jas

tele_jas Member

Went almost 13 months without changing anything on my pedalboard.... But, have traded about 4 amps last year.

11. jota

jota Member

Almost 5 months in without buying a single piece of gear.
    I think I'll easily pass the previous 6 month record.

12. Old Chomper

Old Chomper Member

I fell off the wagon today. Been a couple years, I think.

13. Rockledge

Rockledge Member

I think there was a couple of weeks back around 1974, after I married my ex wife...............

Seriously, I can't even answer the question, because I have been playing and working on instruments for so long.
    I know that over the past 20 years ( about 20 years ago I started aggressively gigging again) I haven't gone long, but mostly because I know how to bring basket cases back to life and I can't pass up someone selling a turd that needs polished.
    I recently started selling off gear that I have had sitting around for years, and haven't even made a dent in it.
    Every time I see a train wreck at an auction, flea market, or a garage sale, I can't help but think "I bet I can fix that" and it haunts me to the point where I end up taking it home.
    So, at least for the last 20 years, probably never more than a few weeks.
    Before that, I just can't recollect. But I have always been a bit of a tinkerer and gadget freak, so it was likely never long.

In the past 6 weeks I've bought a new Surpo Comet, a used Godin Multiac that needed much electronic work and the neck reset as well as a serious cleaning and fret polishing ( all which has been done) in the case with a GR-33 Synth.
    *sigh* what the hell, I'm old, no sense in dying malcontent and miserable.

14. Rockledge

Rockledge Member

I've gone and done it again. Yesterday I was at an auction and bought a basket case.
    It is an Electra Outlaw bass, from what I am told it is the model that Chris Squier played.
    It is hosed, the headstock was broken off and very poorly glued back on, and a piece of steel was screwed to the front of the headstock to support the repair and remains there.
    The neck has a bow, not sure if the truss rod is hosed, but i don't suspect so because it isn't bowed too bad. The finish is in pretty nice shape, a couple of wear throughs but nothing that can't be touched up before spraying a new clear on it.
    Which i will have to do after repairing the headstock and making the repair invisible.
    None of the MPC modules are in it, and I haven't plugged it up yet to see if it works.
    It came with the original form fitted case, which the case itself is probably holding some value. One of the latches has the latch missing, but I found it inside the case, thank God, and it will be an easy repair.

I couldn't pass it up. i got it for 40 bucks.

15. JRzoidz

JRzoidz Member

I need an Amp...that thing will ROAR through some **** dude...listening to it on headphones and sounds great. Really like that Bridge I bought dude...it sounds better than the Kramer one dude...not lying....lol

16. JRzoidz

JRzoidz Member

Some but I don't know bored and Drunk or too much reefer stuff lol, I actually don't want to get rid of that Axe cause I did set up that China Floyd/inserts/studs, Really well. That one not lying is close to OFR.

17. ducker 1

ducker 1 Member

18. TP Parter

TP Parter Member

Hi, my name is TP, and I'm a recovering addict. I haven't bought any new gear aside from strings in about 2.5 years. Well, at least guitar gear,.fishing gear doesn't count.

RYAN1987M likes this.
  19. Tubes and Strings

Tubes and Strings Supporting Member

2010 - 2018. Then I bought an amp, two-notes torpedo, and a kemper. Trying to decide which of the latter two I want to keep. Kemper is probably gonna lose that contest, not that I don't like it. I just like the amp with two-notes a little better.

20. FlatTire

FlatTire Member

I went 32 years without any gear. I quit playing entirely in 1983 shortly after marrying my late wife. I began playing again 4 years ago and have had perpetual GAS since.