Anti-GAS Tri-fecta Poll: The longest you've gone NOT buying, selling or trading gear?

Discussion in 'Guitars in General' started by DGTCrazy, Apr 1, 2014.

What's the longest period of time you' gone without Buying, Selling and Trading gear?

1. 30 days or less

2. Between 30 - 90 days

3. Between 90 - 180 days

4. Between 6-9 Months

5. Between 9-12 Months

6. Over 1 year or more

Multiple votes are allowed.
Results are only viewable after voting.
  1. bigfoamfinger

bigfoamfinger Supporting Member

Off to a bad start for 2019......Already bought 2 new guitars, and am now selling 2 amps to fund an upgrade of another guitar.....

2. sandcastle

sandcastle Member

I am a casual player, so I don't need too many. The last one I bought was a Taylor acoustic last fall. Still in love with it btw. Before that, years.

3. jfb44

jfb44 Member

I got my 90-day chip a few days ago. Though I'm tempted to use my 20% coupon discount to buy some upgrade parts. Must resisssssssssssssssst until 3/26.

4. Jon Silberman

Jon Silberman 10Q Jerry & Dickey Gold Supporting Member

Well, I was on a roll but it ended Monday night. More on this in Guitars soon. ;)

5. Rod

Rod Tone is Paramount Supporting Member

Last edited: Apr 7, 2019
  6. gospelfish

gospelfish Member

I assume there is a direct relationship between how much time one spends on this forum and how much gear one feels the need to buy.

roomservice and BrentSP like this.
  7. Wee Jock

Wee Jock Member

Excluding strings, picks, leads and valves, I've gone 6 years without buying anything a couple of times. I'm lucky in that I don't go for effects in a big way (there seems a lot more potential to acquire effects) and I tend to be quite content with a couple of electrics, an acoustic, a big amp and a small amp.

8. MRCHILL4

MRCHILL4 Member

I pretty much have been away from this site since 2012? I recently bought a strat after not buy since then. I’m really wanting a rocket ride asteroid chorus.

9. Guitar Rod

Guitar Rod Member

I voted 30-90 days, which has been the case since January 2016. But initially I bought a guitar and amp in 1985-86 and didn't buy anything else until 2016 and it has been GAS ever since.

10. williamsnrb

williamsnrb Member

I found myself changing gear a lot over the last few years, but I am really happy now with the current setup. I don't see myself changing anything besides possibly picking up a deluxe reverb amp at some point down the road.

11. Black&Blue

Black&Blue Member

I don't think I'd consider it entirely based on cases of GAS. Most of my friends and acquaintances are musicians. And considering that I spend the bulk of my time, both professionally and personally, around other musicians, trading, buying, and selling is just a part of the life. I've rarely had GAS, but I've traded a shop full of gear over the years...for better and for worse. Good survey though, puts a nice perspective on the "musician's economy".

12. BrentSP

BrentSP Supporting Member

Over a year for me. 1999 to 2008 did some hardcore buying of gear then my last purchase was a Budda SD30 (after owning many Bogners, Roccaforte, Marshalls, Aiken, Boogies, Engl, Bruno, Peaveys, Fenders, Vox, Soldano). In 2008 my focus switched to guns and ammo, hunting etc. and was perfectly happy with the Budda and two Les Pauls and Strat I owned for that time. Then in 2015 I was doomed once again and started selling and buying again. So for me, it was 7 years sober (GAS) 2008 to 2015.

13. DirtFarmer

DirtFarmer Member

I tend to make a big purchase every year. Limiting to one big item so I don't go too crazy. But this year I haven't bought anything and i also promised my wife I wouldn't buy anything for a whole year to help me stay on the right path! Still going strong.

Marshallplayer likes this.
  14. zerolight

zerolight Member

I did my first trade in 8 years last week.

15. Marshallplayer

Marshallplayer Member

That doesn’t count because you play acoustic guitar. Your sound is the guitar. No need for pedals, etc

16. noisebloom

noisebloom Member

I had gone almost eight years since buying my last guitar. I broke that record last month.

Don't know when my next one will be, but I'm done buying Strats for some time.

17. roomservice

roomservice Guest

4 years ago this month I finished building a mid-sized board. I think it's 8 years since I last posted here too.

Feels like I'm about ready for a change or two...

18. slayerbear17

slayerbear17 Member

I,m going on just over a month GAS free. I gig a lot and having a home studio doesn't help matters. My wife fully supports my GAS, When funds got tight I sold a few pieces to help out, but she never asks why I need 4 4X12's, or 8 guitars or 5 tube amps or what ever.

Wait....I just ordered a Pickup last week. Dammit.

19. mikekim

mikekim Supporting Member

Hi, my names Mike and I'm an addict.
    its been 7 days since my last transgression :oops:

20. RonKing34

RonKing34 Member

I’m doing okay this year, even if I was out of the running by the second week of January when I bought a dream bass of mine; 1994 Stingray w/the original bridge mutes and ash body.

Since then, I’ve actually sold and consolidated a lot of my collection. I’ve sold 5 guitars and 2 amps so far this year, plus I’ve got 4 basses ready to go out the door.

Overall, I’ve settled on 6 instruments between Acoustic/electric/bass, and 3 amps to go along with that. Once everything else is sold off, I’ll start cutting into unused pedals.

I’ve gotta say, it’s much more liberating than I expected.