Anti-GAS Tri-fecta Poll: The longest you've gone NOT buying, selling or trading gear?

Discussion in 'Guitars in General' started by DGTCrazy, Apr 1, 2014.

What's the longest period of time you' gone without Buying, Selling and Trading gear?

1. 30 days or less

2. Between 30 - 90 days

3. Between 90 - 180 days

4. Between 6-9 Months

5. Between 9-12 Months

6. Over 1 year or more

Multiple votes are allowed.
Results are only viewable after voting.
  1. Vaibhav Joshi

Vaibhav Joshi Member

Wow. That's nice, CyberFerret.
    I live alone & find myself not speaking for extended periods. When I laugh out loud, I've felt strange hearing my own voice after more than a day. Singing is nice & fills space.
    I've always been more music oriented than gear/tone in life.
    Every now & then when I'm feeling stuck, I further my music theory/application & try it with ear training/ intervals & singing.
    This understandably goes beyond any lick/pedal/amp.

2. LarryWallwart

LarryWallwart Member

Since I've got my R8, my Fender Closet Classic and my PRS McCarty 594, I don't really find myself needing any new guitars.

cratz2 likes this.
  3. Whatnobeer

Whatnobeer Member

The longest I ever went was several years. I was happy and content in the 2000's and didn't buy anything. Around 2010 I got the itch again to play and started looking for toys. So I usually buy/trade/sell a couple of things a year. Lately as LarryWallwart put it I'm not needing too much. I'm happy with what I have.

4. LarryWallwart

LarryWallwart Member

I have spurts. I might buy 3 guitars in one month and then nothing for over a year.

5. cratz2

cratz2 Member

Well, I'm starting over as of yesterday. :(

I have this en route:

[​IMG]

But I made my indiscretion count as my own little trifecta of sorts as I've built these up over the past three weeks:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

RYAN1987M likes this.
  6. Thumpalumpacus

Thumpalumpacus Member

From 1999 - 2008. This encompasses my last three years playing electric for a long time (sold all that gear off in 2002) and a stint from 02 - 08 playing only one acoustic, an old Alvarez that I ended up giving to a friend who was moving. Decided to get back into electric in 08 ... within two years, bought five guitars, four amps, and a couple of pedals.

cratz2 likes this.
  7. cratz2

cratz2 Member

Uh oh... my post was only current for five hours.

:oops:

I'm trading an amp and a few $$$ for an MIJ Geddy Lee signature Jazz bass over the weekend.

:p

8. Gizmot

Gizmot Member

When I was in college and playing in bands, I had a lot of instruments but never more than one of anything except 2 Leslies for my Hammond. I had one nice electric, one nice acoustic, plus an electric piano and a MiniMoog. I also had a Marshall 50 watt top and a 4 x 12 Orange bottom. After I got out of school, I started a business and in order to focus, I sold off my stash of gear. After I got the business going, I waited three years until I started buying gear again and since then, I started building up my stash to its current level of 14 guitars and basses. I’m currently buying into the philosophy that if you buy guitars you’ll live longer.

9. wonkyfinger

wonkyfinger Member

After lurking here for about a year, this is my first post!!!

I sold all of my gear in 2009 when my wife lost her job, and we hit a rough patch financially. I was content to play my old beat up acoustic from 2009 until last summer, when I started playing electric again. Never had GAS as badly as the past year or so. In that time, I have bought a 94 USA Strat, 15 USA Tele, 15 PRS S2 semi hollow, George Benson twin reverb, 70s princeton, and a whole bunch of effects.

Making up for lost time I guess, but I think I'm content for now....

Void Pig and Litterick like this.
  10. Tzirfigu

Tzirfigu Member

Why do anyone should want to stop trying or buying gear? Life is too short people! And part of the joy is trying new toys.

RICFREAK likes this.
  11. Litterick

Litterick Member

This week, I did not buy a 1968 Fender Coronado II, an Ovation Viper, a Godin 5th Avenue Kingpin II, a 1985 AC30 Silver Jubilee and a Laney Linebacker 65. Nobody else on the auction site bought them, so they will be back to haunt me next week.

12. around_the_ben

around_the_ben Member

[​IMG]

I got these in the past 2 years. I love strats, so I got a Fender CS Poblano... then I wanted an LP style guitar, and fell in love with this PRS 594 Brazilian... Was able to score a Manson MB-1 which made me like Floyd Rose trems, so I bought a Jackson PC-1... it never ends. Bought the firebird at a garage sale for 200 bucks this past summer... I’d say these guitars cover everything, but I know I’ll be a sucker to some company’s marketing gimmick and start GASsing for something else...

13. Void Pig

Void Pig Member

Because when I'm focused on gear, I'm less focused on music.

If someone can find a balance between meeting their musical goals and being a gear whore, more power to them! When I'm at my best is when I'm on a daily practice regime.

What happens when most people buy new gear? They spend the next week to year putzing around with it.

I think most pro players are gear whores after the fact. They became accomplished first and then to supplement their income they start endorsing brands, publicly trying new things. Etc. Or maybe they can do both because they can devote themselves full time to it.

I think most players skip becoming accomplished and go right to being gear whores. Speaking from personal experience. Last thing I bought was three years ago. (Edit: Actuallly I bought a 12 pak of picks about nine months ago.)

14. Tzirfigu

Tzirfigu Member

Wow, sounds like you are serious about music and that is great. For me is just a hobby, i dont really care about it, just play covers at my studio, that way i dont even need to know theory, well i dont even know the notes on the neck... lol

around_the_ben likes this.
  15. Ray175

Ray175 Member

Age 24 to 31 (between 1979 and 1986) I was guitarless, since advancing with my career took over my life, as did financing house purchase, kids etc.... Then from 1986 onwards I set aside time for music in my life and purchases have been in phases, where today I currently have a stable of 11 guitars (archtops, semis, solid-bodies, acoustics, various males), a bass and a mandolin. Each purchase has been targetted to add something that the others didn't have, so I tend to take time deciding what I want and how I want to use it before going out and test-driving/buying.
    Over the last few years many of the purchases have been made with a view to maintenance tools and equipment, plus upgrading to wireless playing, recording software, BIAB, Zoom 4, related cabling.... although I have usually bought/sold at least one instrument every year.
    The next purchase will be to replace my 2006 Princeton Recording whose PCB "died" a couple of weeks ago. I will probably take 3-4 months deciding on the replacement - handwired clone, modified blackface reissue (adding an effects loop and attenuator, plus line-out), PRS Sonzera or Rivera Venus Deux recording. In the meantime I have a 1986 Laney Linebacker 50w which gives a nice clean and crunch but lacks the fullness and reactivity of the Princeton.

Last edited: Aug 5, 2019
  16. Vanyu

Vanyu Member

I just bought a ‘71 5 piece Ludwig kit about a month ago, and that’s the last piece of the puzzle for my music room :)

I don’t see myself buying anymore gear for a long time, I’m very happy with what I have currently and being savvy with working on gear, I can freely mod what I do have to suit my needs.

However, I’m ironing out the details to build some amps to sell in house at the shop I work at, maybe one of those will crawl home with me ;)

17. d'djembe mutombo

d'djembe mutombo Member

After using two Avatar 4x12's to fund a Mesa traditional 4x12 purchase in 2011, I had a dead period of 8 years. Then this year I realized that half of my gear didn't really suit the music I played anymore, or there was tons of overlap. I sold 3 Gibson SG's, my Orange Rocker 30, and a Mesa 2x12 recto cab. That funded my purchase of a Lonestar Special head, Am Pro Jazzmaster and a Music Man stingray.

I really think I'm short just a 1x12 to keep at the house to run my heads through when I bring them home. Currently, my only cabs are 4x12s and at the practice space.

18. nac

nac Supporting Member

3 years for me. Then I bought a Kemper earlier this year. Now I've bought 3 new guitars in the last 2 months.....

19. Once Far Off

Once Far Off Member

I haven't bought a single piece of gear in over three years. Staying away from TGP helped me a lot. That said, I'm on the hunt for another guitar because my 89 Les Paul Standard that I've had since it was new is just too heavy to play on stage anymore (pinched nerve) so I need something lighter with humbuckers. I'll just have to play the Les Paul sitting down at home now.

20. Nd272

Nd272 Member

I went a long time not playing and kinda gave up on it, I’ve since had 2 operations which have left me out of work until I am well enough to go back, since the most recent surgery I’ve bought lots of stuff, 1 charvel mij and I have either Jackson Dk2q or epi les Paul prophecy in the way too