Anti-GAS Tri-fecta Poll: The longest you've gone NOT buying, selling or trading gear?

Discussion in 'Guitars in General' started by DGTCrazy, Apr 1, 2014.

What's the longest period of time you' gone without Buying, Selling and Trading gear?

1. 30 days or less

2. Between 30 - 90 days

3. Between 90 - 180 days

4. Between 6-9 Months

5. Between 9-12 Months

6. Over 1 year or more

Multiple votes are allowed.
Results are only viewable after voting.
  1. Nd272

Nd272 Member

I went a long time not playing and kinda gave up on it, I’ve since had 2 operations which have left me out of work until I am well enough to go back, since the most recent surgery I’ve bought lots of stuff, 1 charvel mij and I have either Jackson Dk2q or epi les Paul prophecy in the way too

2. arpegadream

arpegadream Member

From the age of 19 until about 26 years old

3. Hudman_1

Hudman_1 Member

I went nearly 8 years without buying or selling gear. Once I found eBay and guitar forums online I started a long buying and selling habit that’s been ongoing since 2005. I think my longest break since then was around 1 year. My last gear purchase was a PRS Silver Sky around 6 weeks ago.

4. Raymond Lin

Raymond Lin Member

After 4 years of not buying anything I gave in and bought a Miku of all things.

[​IMG]

DeadLazy and Woowoo like this.
  5. phoenix

phoenix Gold Supporting Member

hours. because my will is strong...Tycobrahe Pedalflanger...

6. Yr Blues

Yr Blues Member

Just guitar gear or music gear in general?

7. Friedmett

Friedmett Member

I bought my last guitar in 2001. My 2 favorites does the job and they are still staying with me since 1995 and 1997. The only thing is on the amp side where the bits started to show up and I got to have some great one to play through. Still its old school tubes as that what it became on the quest for right tone.

Otherwise I am not really gear hunting as I have an idea of what I really want and then it stops after that is completed. I do not really have big interest in effects or other guitars at all.

DeadLazy likes this.
  8. Madsen

Madsen Member

Just came off a 3 year break & am on a bit of a bender.

9. guitarbilly74

guitarbilly74 Supporting Member

if I count in minutes, over 9000

10. Coolidge

Coolidge Member

I have non-specific GAS for something I know not what. There is no worse form of GAS.

DeadLazy likes this.
  11. powermatt99

powermatt99 Member

Me too. Tends to happen when I'm not musically busy. Current project is just getting off the ground working through originals and perfecting covers. My church gig is only once a month. Still, I find myself wasting time perusing random Reverb listings.

Coolidge likes this.
  12. TankerHead

TankerHead Member

Not sure the longest, but I'll go with around 1 month. I'm usually at least buying picks and strings every month. But I've bought and sold a bit of my gear and I've only been playing for 2 years.

13. the.godfather

the.godfather Member

My longest has been well over a year. At the moment I tend to be every 6 months or so when it comes to buying guitars. Then about every 1 or 2 months when it comes to buying pedals.

I do find though that the longer I don't buy anything, the more difficult it is to put my hand in my pocket and start buying again.

14. TheBuffalo

TheBuffalo Supporting Member

15. Lothar34

Lothar34 Silver Supporting Member

Probably 5 years-8 years of being mostly inactive. A better poll would be how long while still actively playing in the TPG era. For that I would say 2019 has been the least active gear wise, since I got back into playing in 2011. Picked up a couple of simple items that allow me to pick up and play when I want without a lot of fiddling - good enough tones. Told my self I was content, but also, there were some money problems most of the year and we ended up in a lawsuit. Now that's almost over, looks like we are settling and going to be money ahead. Will see if the GAS returns when there is disposable income again.

16. MaxTwang

MaxTwang Member

Went nearly a decade when I was playing out a few times a week while working nearly full time and/or full time student. Turns out a Strat, 335, 175 and Boogie covers all the bases.

Having more time and more $$ leads to GAS.

17. Machew

Machew Member

From age 16 to age 43 I dont think I bought anything but strings and picks. Then updated my old Kramer with new pups. Age 43 bought a new Ibanez RG652AHM. Played like crazy for the next 2.5 years. Then at the end of 2018 went a bit overboard. Fender strat, Mustang bass, too many pedals and a Z Cure. I really need to stop. I have one more guitar on the way and I'm going to stop. Or maybe a few more pedal and one more Amp, but only if the economy stays good.