Anti-GAS Tri-fecta Poll: The longest you've gone NOT buying, selling or trading gear?

What's the longest period of time you' gone without Buying, Selling and Trading gear?

• 30 days or less

• Between 30 - 90 days

• Between 90 - 180 days

• Between 6-9 Months

• Between 9-12 Months

• Over 1 year or more

Results are only viewable after voting.

garthb309

Supporting Member
I think I'm up to 3 days...is there a meeting in Portland that anybody knows about tomorrow so I can make it to 4???

Alan Dunn

I don't trade or sell guitars. I'm strictly a buyer and I buy them to play not to look at / display or as any kind of investment nest egg.
I purchased my last guitar in August 2019 and that pretty much ended my guitar addiction.
All I will buy from now on is consumables like tubes and strings but only through necessity not because of GAS.

The highest i paid for a guitar is a 57 reissue les paul i found in a shop in Turkiye. Its the best guitar ive owned but i dont mind it selling it for more as I dont feel loyal to products in general. İ think i dont like guitars anymore.

JulienVD

Wow, this is a long standing thread!!
My first years of playing, I hardly ever bought anything. When I started getting serious, I'd buy one big thing then use it for a good year. It was later in my professional life that I got the bug. Much later than other musicians around me. To answer the original question, I guess a few months. My last serious purchase was a used DRRI in december. I have enough gear to vary from gig to gig. I'm at a point where I'm satisfied with what I got and I don't make enough extra cash to keep growing my gear stash. If I had disposable income, I'd be on it. I still look at classified a few times a week, but I'm on top of it!

HighRoller

The longest I've gone without buying gear is probably around two years. Over the past year though, I've really been getting into handy equipment though.

majorledhead

Supporting Member
Well, since I've joined TGP, I haven't gone longer than a year. Been 10 months since I bought a ToneKing SkyKing and I thought I would be good for awhile since I am blessed with some fantastic pieces of sonic construction. However, out of the blue, I find myself lusting for a G&L Bluesboy. Preferably one made in the USA, with the seth lover or P90, rosewood board and the 11/16'' nut, block inlays, and some manly custom color.

syzygy

I was about to get an EBMM Axis from Reverb last week where the seller accepted my offer. PMd seller saying that I was backing out because I had to prioritize costs due to the pandemic. Seller said he understood the circumstances.

I'm on my 6 month chip.

dougmon

2 years. I sold two Teles, an amp, and several pedals after I decided never to play electric again.

Okay, so I was wrong, but I did last two years.

chrisr777

Due to financial circumstances, I have not bought a guitar since my 2005 ES-137 Classic. Ten years is too long, though I did inherit m Bill Carson Custom Shop Strat last year from my best friend's partner. As far as any gear goes, I had not even bought a pedal for about five years until last month when I bought a Phase 90. And even that was only because I got $100 in GC gift cards for reviewing their new store.
Update: Five years later and I have still not bought a guitar. Expecting to hit the lottery any day now though.

Dr. Tweedbucket

Deluxe model available !!!11
I haven't bought anything that I can think of in the last 10 years :huh I've sold things as little as a month ago ... just before the virus craze. Oh ... hold on, I think I bought a Moog sub37 in 2012 ... I forgot about that little dealy :knitting

Roberto

What's the longest period of time you' gone without Buying, Selling and Trading gear?

The first 15 years of my life. My Mom did buy me a set of drums when I was about 10 and a guitar and amp when I was about 11, but I didn't actually buy any gear till I was 16, when I bought a pre CBS Duo Sonic. I gave it to my son a few years ago.

tbp0701

I last bought instruments in 2015, a guitar in January of that year and a digital piano in December. I had to stop playing guitar that year because of an issue, but I've been able to start again recently (so this is my first post in a long while). I've been playing piano in the meantime, though.

I've also not sold anything. I did try to sell one guitar to GC, but the offer was absurdly low, so I kept it. (And it was the first I picked up after the long layoff).

Occam

Silver Supporting Member
I've been better lately (as in not buying at least a pedal every month) to buying a lot since the covid quarantines. I'm now dealing with a few builders that are late and won't respond to email which is fun. It's rare I go more than 3 months though and even when I was a broke college student living off nothing and going to malls and taking surveys just to eat lunch that day I always found a way to buy gear every couple of months at the sacrifice of things like healthcare, windshield wipers (the key to drive on the freeway as much as possible, the wind just blows the water off the windshield plus I have long arms), a phone and all sorts of stuff. Now I usually get 1-2 pedals a month but lately I've been buying a lot of recording gear and if you think guitar stuff is expensive, it's nothing compared to recording stuff.

nichd

Supporting Member
I would have sworn I hadn't bought or sold anything in about 1.5 years.

I checked the books... bought 4 guitars and 2 amps in 2019!

... I have a problem lol.

hendrix2430

This thread makes me feel much better about myself... I even showed it to my wife to justify to her how "normal" my behaviour is!

prskiller

It's been so long I can't remember. I'm gonna say it's been over 15 years now. Within this past couple months I've acquired 3 electric guitars, 2 amps and some pedals. Feels good to be back in da groove.