Anti-GAS Tri-fecta Poll: The longest you've gone NOT buying, selling or trading gear?

Discussion in 'Guitars in General' started by DGTCrazy, Apr 1, 2014.

What's the longest period of time you' gone without Buying, Selling and Trading gear?

1. 30 days or less

2. Between 30 - 90 days

3. Between 90 - 180 days

4. Between 6-9 Months

5. Between 9-12 Months

6. Over 1 year or more

Multiple votes are allowed.
Results are only viewable after voting.
  1. BlueBet

BlueBet Member

I don't "sell" anything. Way I see it if I went through the process and decided to buy it, it's staying because most buyers are "less than stellar" . In the same breath, I don't "buy" anything top dollar unless that's the only way to get it. Why? Because most buyers as I said in regards to their ability to evaluate are miles "less than stellar" .

Have fun trying to peddle junk. You've made the clists of America neverending junk listings that people don't even bother to read <g>

Think I'm wrong? One of the most popular threads in 2020 consists of people buying a literal turd in the box and raving how they spent 52 hours making it slightly less brown.

Sure to appear flooded all over your local classifieds complete with RV hookups and solutions to chronic pain which include a hat, a wand and frog legs.

Oh and my ABSOLUTE Favorite "O" Era creations, the Clist Hall Monitor. A particularly cunning man in a box who patrols the internet looking for "violations of the code". Or as 90% of Americans just naturally call them "the Ultimate Wussier"

https://bit.ly/3bMKcej

Last edited: Feb 16, 2020
  2. GAStraFFartSAG

GAStraFFartSAG Member

If only strings were considered gear....or are they?

3. SURFA

SURFA Member

hi my name is SURFA… and I'm a guitar player. My vote is: one decade or more.

4. garthb309

garthb309 Supporting Member

I think I'm up to 3 days...is there a meeting in Portland that anybody knows about tomorrow so I can make it to 4???

5. Alan Dunn

Alan Dunn Member

I don't trade or sell guitars. I'm strictly a buyer and I buy them to play not to look at / display or as any kind of investment nest egg.
    I purchased my last guitar in August 2019 and that pretty much ended my guitar addiction.
    All I will buy from now on is consumables like tubes and strings but only through necessity not because of GAS.

6. picassographic

picassographic Member

The highest i paid for a guitar is a 57 reissue les paul i found in a shop in Turkiye. Its the best guitar ive owned but i dont mind it selling it for more as I dont feel loyal to products in general. İ think i dont like guitars anymore.

7. JulienVD

JulienVD Member

Wow, this is a long standing thread!!
    My first years of playing, I hardly ever bought anything. When I started getting serious, I'd buy one big thing then use it for a good year. It was later in my professional life that I got the bug. Much later than other musicians around me. To answer the original question, I guess a few months. My last serious purchase was a used DRRI in december. I have enough gear to vary from gig to gig. I'm at a point where I'm satisfied with what I got and I don't make enough extra cash to keep growing my gear stash. If I had disposable income, I'd be on it. I still look at classified a few times a week, but I'm on top of it!

8. HighRoller

HighRoller Member

The longest I've gone without buying gear is probably around two years. Over the past year though, I've really been getting into handy equipment though.

9. majorledhead

majorledhead Supporting Member

Well, since I've joined TGP, I haven't gone longer than a year. Been 10 months since I bought a ToneKing SkyKing and I thought I would be good for awhile since I am blessed with some fantastic pieces of sonic construction. However, out of the blue, I find myself lusting for a G&L Bluesboy. Preferably one made in the USA, with the seth lover or P90, rosewood board and the 11/16'' nut, block inlays, and some manly custom color.

10. garthb309

garthb309 Supporting Member

Hi, my name is Garth ("Hi Garth), and it's been 7 days since my last guitar purchase...

11. syzygy

syzygy Member

I was about to get an EBMM Axis from Reverb last week where the seller accepted my offer. PMd seller saying that I was backing out because I had to prioritize costs due to the pandemic. Seller said he understood the circumstances.

I'm on my 6 month chip.

12. dougmon

dougmon Member

2 years. I sold two Teles, an amp, and several pedals after I decided never to play electric again.

Okay, so I was wrong, but I did last two years.

13. chrisr777

chrisr777 Member

Update: Five years later and I have still not bought a guitar. Expecting to hit the lottery any day now though.

14. Dr. Tweedbucket

Dr. Tweedbucket Deluxe model available !!!11

Gamma Ray detection station on Mt. Kwakkleberry
    I haven't bought anything that I can think of in the last 10 years :huh I've sold things as little as a month ago ... just before the virus craze. Oh ... hold on, I think I bought a Moog sub37 in 2012 ... I forgot about that little dealy :knitting

15. Roberto

Roberto Member

What's the longest period of time you' gone without Buying, Selling and Trading gear?

The first 15 years of my life. My Mom did buy me a set of drums when I was about 10 and a guitar and amp when I was about 11, but I didn't actually buy any gear till I was 16, when I bought a pre CBS Duo Sonic. I gave it to my son a few years ago.

[​IMG]

16. tbp0701

tbp0701 Member

I last bought instruments in 2015, a guitar in January of that year and a digital piano in December. I had to stop playing guitar that year because of an issue, but I've been able to start again recently (so this is my first post in a long while). I've been playing piano in the meantime, though.

I've also not sold anything. I did try to sell one guitar to GC, but the offer was absurdly low, so I kept it. (And it was the first I picked up after the long layoff).

17. Occam

Occam Member

I've been better lately (as in not buying at least a pedal every month) to buying a lot since the covid quarantines. I'm now dealing with a few builders that are late and won't respond to email which is fun. It's rare I go more than 3 months though and even when I was a broke college student living off nothing and going to malls and taking surveys just to eat lunch that day I always found a way to buy gear every couple of months at the sacrifice of things like healthcare, windshield wipers (the key to drive on the freeway as much as possible, the wind just blows the water off the windshield plus I have long arms), a phone and all sorts of stuff. Now I usually get 1-2 pedals a month but lately I've been buying a lot of recording gear and if you think guitar stuff is expensive, it's nothing compared to recording stuff.

18. nichd

nichd Supporting Member

I would have sworn I hadn't bought or sold anything in about 1.5 years.

I checked the books... bought 4 guitars and 2 amps in 2019!

... I have a problem lol.

19. hendrix2430

hendrix2430 Member

This thread makes me feel much better about myself... I even showed it to my wife to justify to her how "normal" my behaviour is!

20. prskiller

prskiller Member

It's been so long I can't remember. I'm gonna say it's been over 15 years now. Within this past couple months I've acquired 3 electric guitars, 2 amps and some pedals. Feels good to be back in da groove.