• TGP is giving away a Strat, Tele, and Jazzmaster. Click Here for full details.
    Click Here to upgrade your account and enter today!

Anti-GAS Tri-fecta Poll: The longest you've gone NOT buying, selling or trading gear?

What's the longest period of time you' gone without Buying, Selling and Trading gear?

• 30 days or less

• Between 30 - 90 days

• Between 90 - 180 days

• Between 6-9 Months

• Between 9-12 Months

• Over 1 year or more

Results are only viewable after voting.

wonggei

Silver Supporting Member
I didn’t buy anything new for almost 10 years, but from being bored at home with this pandemic, I think I’ve bought 7-8 guitars in the last two months the :/

Pre Malone

Silver Supporting Member
I literally Reverb while I sleep. I wake up and check the feed throughout the night.
Sleep-buying pedals and pickups.
This past month I got virtually every JRAD pedal

NunoVanbamsteen

Gold Supporting Member
Had the itch quite a bit lately, it’s been 2 weeks, before that 4 plus months.
I had my Kiesel DC600 delivered right after Christmas, then found an RG550 and then just grabbed a sweet, kinda rare RG2770z in trans red. when I’m NOT playing out, I tend to buy, sell, trade gear. When I AM playing out, I tend to downsize because I figure out what I need vs what I WANT.

Last edited:

sorenspete

Sold everything except my Randall RM100 (yep, I sold a Rivera Knucklehead with British V30's - idiot) about 3 ears ago and bought my ESP Horizon and a little Fender Mustang IV. Used those for three years and didn't buy anything else (because I could not afford to).

Fast forward to the present, I'm in a new job pissing my money up against the wall on cabinets, guitars, pedals...Lord help me (but actually don't).

Nickerz

After getting the axe-fx II right when it came out, pretty much almost 10 years. I greatly regret getting in that hole.

benihana21

This current period is the longest for me. It's been at least 8 months since I've bought a pedal, amp or guitar...

Coincidentally, it is also the time period that I've been the happiest with my home, family and work life - so there must be some meaning there that I will choose to ignore when I start my next GAS cycle... :D
I think that the compulsive buying begins as a distraction when we aren’t happy with something in our lives. On the other hand, I think that once the GAS begins, it ultimately contributes to that unhappiness.

Ed Lonsway

I find that my buying habits have reduced drastically since getting married and having kids..... weird.... ;)

TheCount0212

I went from 2010 - 2018 without a new purchase.
Declared 2020 the year of improving my collection. Sold a 2011 Gibson 60s Tribute Gold Top, parted out two Strats, turned them into two Epi Firebirds plus a new neck for a great Strat body. Nearing the sale of a fourth (2010 Gibson LP Jr.)

I’ve been averaging about a month for awhile now (Rampant G.A.S.) my latest is a 1987 Guild D25-CH-E. I played one guitar for 17 years but since 2017 I have purchased 9 and sold two. Currently at 7 (five acoustics and two electrics) and looking for more.

LCPG-154

I bought a Catalinbread WIIO pedal in 2012, which I tried to use today for the first time since...probably 2012. I had a Seagull S6 cedar acoustic guitar I might have sold around that time, too. I bought a Fender Blues Junior back then, I think.

Since the pandemic hit the U.S., I have been slowly playing guitar again. It feels as if I am learning to play from the beginning.

I like watching gear videos on YouTube, and have seen some interesting gear but I really should use the three guitars and two amplifiers I already own.

JukeBoxRat

Silver Supporting Member
The recent Lace Sensor thread reminded me that I stopped playing almost completely from 2008 to 2010. During that time, I didn't buy anything guitar related or even read any guitar media. I can remember halfheartedly picking up a guitar at home every so often and just not feeling it. I almost sold my stuff, but something told me just to ride it out. At some point in 2010, I started playing again and added a new Strat. It's been back to borderline obession level pretty much since.

Rhomco

Gold Supporting Member
It took me longer to type this post than it takes between buys!
Hopeless Rob

chipss36

I was looking at guitars the last few days, just browsing, did not see a single thing that moved me to shell out cash...
But it did take many years to find my holy trinity....A good
Strat/telly/les Pual...done...
And happy with my classical and acoustic as well..
Totally happy with what I have,
My playing however is constantly improving....having the tones I was after for so long, and learning to dump dog guitars on the spot, and not even try to improve them, helped...
I am done with gas..
With Amps or stomps , I pretty much just build what ever I want, but I am pretty much happy with what I have now...
I just play now adays...

frogger42

I got a new guitar a few days ago and have a few small items on their way for it that will be here early next week. After that, it will probably be a good long time (unless you count things like strings). I'm happy with my amp and my pedalboard and I want to save up for a custom shop guitar next. To do that, I've got to pinch pennies and avoid GAS for probably a year.

Ry@n

I’m really not a seller or a trader, but I have recently been buying stuff all the time. I have, however, gone periods of years standing pat on what I had (I assume strings don’t count...) prior to my current mania.

Trending Topics