ANTI-RELIC: Post Your Restored or Like-New Guitars

icr

I have been looking for a good 70's Stratocaster for a long time. Grew up in the 1970s and wanted one all my life. Saw so many in guitar shops and being used by bands back then.

This near-mint 1974 that I obtained originally had white trim, but the original pickguard is cracked and the prior owner changed everything to black. Otherwise looks unplayed. Has replaced 5-way selector, but this will stay.

I'll be changing it back to white trim and adding the two-piece bridge and steel saddles that the early 1970s Stratocasters would have come with. The 3 bolt neck is straight and rock solid on this one. Original staggered pickups are awesome through my new and vintage amps.

My American Standard Stratocaster is nice and plays well and sounds good, but this 1974 SOUNDS LIKE A STRAT! This is the bottom line. Complain all one wants about them, but some 70s Strats deliver the sound!! This is the reason to get one.

Speculators and flippers need not apply to the 70s Strat club.

gulliver

Silver Supporting Member
Your pics are not working. I'd like to see it.

I don't think there are complaints about the guitars, I think it's more the high prices ... which many feel are not warranted. Same with '80s MIJ Strats. Mine WAS minty, but I had to go and mod/matte it. I can't have good things.

FStrat_man68

My dream 70's strat is a 1972 vintage white (yellowed) with a rosewood fret board. Found one but the price was absurd especially for its condition. Guess the seller added his emotional attachment fee to the price.

Jdstrat

Here's my dad's '59 ES-125TDC that started its life as a 125TD (no cutaway). He bought it in the early '60s, and sold it out of the family in the '80s. I bought it back around 2008 after my dad passed away.

When it came back to me it had been altered beyond recognition. How it came back:
  • Original binding replaced with white
  • Bound neck
  • Black overspray on the whole body
  • Cutaway added, reinforced with bondo
  • Broken and badly repaired headstock
  • No pickguard
  • After market knobs and tuners
  • Original pickups and wiring still intact!

How it looks now, after a full restoration, literally better than new with cream binding, stainless frets, and all period-correct parts:

billyguitar

Here's my dad's '59 ES-125TDC that started its life as a 125TD (no cutaway). He bought it in the early '60s, and sold it out of the family in the '80s. I bought it back around 2008 after my dad passed away.

When it came back to me it had been altered beyond recognition. How it came back:
  • Original binding replaced with white
  • Bound neck
  • Black overspray on the whole body
  • Cutaway added, reinforced with bondo
  • Broken and badly repaired headstock
  • No pickguard
  • After market knobs and tuners
  • Original pickups and wiring still intact!

How it looks now, after a full restoration, literally better than new with cream binding, stainless frets, and all period-correct parts:

Good on you. I have a '59 just like that and your luthier did a great job!

Abram4235

Silver Supporting Member
Most of mine have a dent or chip. But they don’t look like I’ve been beating them with chains. My biggest problem is wearing out frets.
Dude, I hear you man. This is my 2011 American Special Strat. I've replaced the pickups and pick guard. It's now my only electric. The frets have been leveled twice and will need to be replaced next time around.

makeitstop

Old dude with guitars
Platinum Supporting Member
The only two that are in 'as new' condition are this Dean Colt hybrid

And an OLP Music Man that I picked up over the holidays

Everything else is either a relic or older guitars with honest wear.

MBreinin

Silver Supporting Member
In 1989 I went to a local music store to look for a Strat. I had an '82 Les Paul Custom in natural that I paid $300 for to trade.

I found an all original and well worn black '71 Strat. The kind of guitar I would fawn over today, because it was a real deal relic with lots of body wear and basically no frets left. They wanted $750 for it. I traded the LPC and $200 for it. I figured I still came out ahead, LOL.

I took it home that winter break from college and I put it in my bedroom. I looked at it every day and that wear drove me nuts.

So, I took it into the basement, got out my stripper and sander and stripped/sanded all of the finish off. I then repainted it black with rattle cans. It came out well, but the clear coat kept running and it drove me nuts. I stripped it again and painted it white with a one stage rattle can job. It looked great to me. LOL.

I then became a Satriani nut, and had a local luthier put a PAF Pro in the bridge and put jumbo frets on it. Later, I traded it, with the original parts, to a local guy for a..................silverburst '82 LPC.

Those were the days.

Trending Topics