1. A proposal is now up as a poll to change the guidelines of TGP to only allow member self-deleting of post/threads for up to thirty days of the original posting it. We are now watching the poll here. Click here to view the thread.

Dismiss Notice

Anti-signature guitars.

Discussion in 'Guitars in General' started by kenneth, May 24, 2011.

1. kenneth

kenneth Member

Based on all the discussion/hype regarding signature guitars, a couple ideas regarding marketing ideas for "non-signature" guitars. I am wondering if any guitar company has done anything like this.

This was based off a comment last week by Bobby D, who stated he bought a American Strat off the rack, and was gigging with it that evening.

Basically, have a higher profile musician/guitarist use a standard "production" model guitar as the main guitar on the tour. Like the american standard strat. Travel with minimal guitars, and at every major city, have a meet and greet (or whatever) at the local music store in the morning/afternoon of the show. The guitarist picks out the guitar that he/she will play at the show that evening, right off the rack of available guitars in that brand/model.

Then the tech has about two hours to get the guitar setup to the guitarists real preferences, action, etc.

After the show, donate the signed/dated guitar to charity or whatever.

It seems like a pretty cool idea to me, and would establish the production mondel guitar as a professional gigging instrument. I realize this may erode the value of signature guitars, so probably wouldn't be a good idea for perhaps fender. But maybe for G&L or something.

Any other ideas like this?

2. whomad1215

whomad1215 Member

$$$

Honestly signature guitars are just standards with minor changes
    Knopfler - ash body, different pickups
    Clapton - different pickups/electronics
    EJ - actually different, no string tree, quartersawn neck, different pickups, different wiring, no backplate, EJ voodoo
    etc

3. HP Hovercraft

HP Hovercraft Member

I think standard production guitars have long been established as professional gigging instruments. They definitely don't need any help selling.

4. Rumble

Rumble Instrumental Rocker Silver Supporting Member

Your idea does have merit, but I can't see something like that catching on.

5. LSchefman

LSchefman Member

Just last night I saw a late night TV ad for something really goofy - a $20 copy of the recent British royal wedding ring. The part that made me laugh was that it came with a "certificate of authenticity!" An authentic what...?

That got me thinking about signature guitars, for some reason, and then the whole concept that owning some famous artist's guitar, even the original one, has some kind of magic mojo that ordinary instruments somehow lack. Like if you buy a Clapton guitar, you're going to sound just like Clapton. Etc.

I dunno, the whole concept of obect-connects-to-fame, "the artist actually touched this object," etc., is kind of baffling at times.

6. candid_x

candid_x Supporting Member

I saw that ad too, and it made me laugh too!

Some companies survive on artist models. or at least one does, but they're not copies of anything, which is pretty cool in itself.

I don't see Fender artist models as anything unique, other than pickups, neck width, frets, finish, style of tuners etc. The carves are all pretty much the same, or subject to the time period of the original Fender. What an artist model does (for me) is identify those specific features.

7. Nico.

Nico. Member

Even better, have the guitarist in question go to the musicshop and pick up his signature model. Then he will play it at a concert and and sign it and have it up for grabs

Played by: "Insert Artist" in "Given venue"

For example
    Gibson Signed Slash Signature Les Paul VOS: Used by Slash in Madison Square Garden on bla bla...

AND you can also have it shipped with a DVD of the concert.... now THAT is marketing!!!

Its all about making money baby!

8. straycat113

straycat113 Member

Well without sig guitars a lot of companies would be plain boring, and the tinkering or tweaking of said artist can change the whole guitar.

I am a Fender and EBMM die hard but lets face it Fender is a two ax company and everything outside of a Strat or Tele disappearing of off the face of the earth tomorrow would cause very few players distress. I have a Clapton Strat which is a great guitar with the Mid Boost and TBX, a Beck with LSR nut, Hot Noiseless Pups and locking tuners, I also would like to grab a Dave Murray with the double buckers and you can keep going on.

On the other side if Gibson releases one more 59 artist Les Paul with a price tag of over 10K I think I will flip. For the company that has the most iconic builds in history I just dont get how they have the least creative minds in the business working for them today. The Beano LP really took the cake as Clapton is supposed to really remember a guitar that was in his possession over 45 years ago and that he owned for two years, especially after his years of alcohol and drug use for 3 decades.

9. Bobby D

Bobby D Member

i have seen both Joe Satriani and Robert Smith do exactly that at Guitar CEnter down here.

both guys went to the store, Joe picked up a sig model Ibanez and played it THAT NITE at his gig.

Robert Smith needed a 12 string Takamine, played it that nite at the show, then signed it and donated it to charity.

great idea!

10. Flinto2002

Flinto2002 Senior Member

EVH did that in 07, the guitars sold for 10K a piece.

11. robertkoa

robertkoa Member

Even though sometimes Signature guitars can be a little bit hyped, the idea is really good , especially if they get a LOT of input from the VIP, like with the EJ Guitar.

I can also see your point about using off the rack stuff, but nice to have some variety, in Fender's case , a little more variety would be better still......IMO.

12. kenneth

kenneth Member

I actually do find signature model guitars interesting in their own right, I have nothing against them.

However, I do think it is more fasintating when a high-profile guitarist uses off the shelf, guitar and gear, and are getting great tones. The stuff that amateur guitarist can affort and do use. Not the boutique and vintage stuff.

I guess that is one of the points of this kind of idea in general.

13. Summa

Summa Member

I find limited editions are either used to see if there's a demand for a type of guitar or used solely to inflate the price of a otherwise off the shelf item.

As for signature runs, well take a look at the Les Paul.