Anti-Snoring - Z Quiet mouthguard

Discussion in 'The Pub' started by tone4days, Nov 8, 2012.

1. tone4days

tone4days Member

broke down and ordered the Z- Quiet anti snoring mouthguard last weekend after another night of my wife not being able to sleep because of the noise i was making ... paid for priority shipping and it was waiting for me when i got home from work yesterday ... tried it last night

fit pretty well - i am use to wearing pretty beefy upper and lower teeth/jaw protectors for hockey so i kinda knew what to expect ... wasnt sure what do do with my tongue, so i just kinda tried to relax it ... upon putting it in, i started to salivate excessively and it felt uncomfortable to swallow ... fortunately, i didnt have any gag reflex ... i felt myself getting kinda agitated, so i got out of bed and went downstairs to re-read the little booklet that came with it ... there really wasnt anything in there that was helpful so i just went back up to bed to try to get comfortable ... eventually fell asleep, but it was not a fitful deep sleep .. i felt very aware of my dreaming and felt as if i was waking up and then falling back asleep much more than usual ...

when my wife's alarm went off, she told me that she slept all night and never heard me .. so that's a plus

i am hoping that i get use to it over the next few nights / weeks and that it will be a keeper

will keep this thread updated

feel free to add your own expereinces with this or other anti snoring solutions

2. tms13pin

tms13pin Supporting Member

I'll keep checking up on this. I snore too and wifey hates it. Like you,
    I play hockey and am used to mouthguards, so maybe if this works for
    you I'll give it a whirl.

--Tom

3. Jiffy_Jeff

Jiffy_Jeff Playin Tunes and Having Fun! Silver Supporting Member

I'd be interested to see how this helps you out over time. My snoring can get bad.

4. Brenna23

Brenna23 Member

Does not look like there is any difference between it and one used for sports to me? How much was that thing?

5. GAT

GAT Gold Supporting Member

Try wearing it during the day to get used to it.

6. Raygun Gothic

Raygun Gothic Member

CPAP works best for me. But that only comes into play if you have apnea.

7. Rkin1

Rkin1 Supporting Member

I have been using the Pure Sleep mouthguard for a few years now with pretty good success. It has made a positive difference in the quality of sleep I get and made it a lot easier on my gf.

I tried the Z Quiet on the "trial period" and ended up sending it back. It fit me terribly and wouldn't stay in position. They we're very helpful and sent me a different model (and reset the trial period time) but it didn't stay in place either.

8. tone4days

tone4days Member

it is unlike a hockey mouthguard in that it intentionally forces the bottom jaw forward (not uncomfortably) ... this opens up the back of the mouth/throat area so the action of breathing doesnt cause the soft tissue back there to flap ...

fortunately, i had a sleep test and no apnea, so i was good to go for this mouthguard .. cpap would certainly be next for me if that developed ... but i am alert all day without caffeine, so i dont think apnea is indicated yet ... of course, if i lost 50 or 70 lbs, this would probably be resolved to a great extent ... so we'll see how dieting works

it is kinda pricey, i suppose ... about $60 plus $10 regular s&h ... i paid a bit more for the expedited shipping ... it'll be worth it if it works as a long term solution

the weird thing, to me, is that i am typically a stomach / side sleeper and that usually makes snoring less a problem as compared to back sleepers ... but my wife still says my noise bothers her and foamy earplugs havent really helped her (they fall out)

i havent had the heart to suggest she get molded earplugs given that i am the source of the problem

9. Rattles

Rattles Member

My hubby has some kind of mouth guard that he wears sometimes for his snoring. If he gets too loud, I just kick him!!!! LOL :bumpbump

:roll

10. Macleod

Macleod Member

My ex wife has really, really bad snoring problems. Imagine being in the middle of Sturgis during a rev-off.
    Or a buckefull of large rocks being rolled down a hill.
    I could hear her three floors down.
    I went years without sleep.

She tried one of those mouth things, and it worked well. However, it gave her a sore jaw.

11. tone4days

tone4days Member

i am hoping to avoid the jaw problem ... i was a tiny bit stiff when i woke up this am, but it loosened within a half hour or so

12. TNJ

TNJ Gold Supporting Member

What kind of sleep are you getting?
    I agree with wearing it while awake to get used to it.
    This stuff doesnt always work overnite.
    Mostly it takes a few weeks to get used to it.

Good luck,

S.j

13. tone4days

tone4days Member

i typically sleep fine, not even needing to wake up to use the bathroom (i void before retiring) ... typically 7+ hours per night

if i were single, i'd not even know i snore

another weird thing is that my wife tells me i snore even if i am sleeping on my front or side, so 'rolling over' doesnt work like it does for back-sleepers ...

i am going to keep at it during the next 3 weeks - will decide if i am kepeing it before the trial period is over

t4d

14. silky_sam

silky_sam Gold Supporting Member

Same problem.....I always have to wonder, though, why the heck I don't wake myself up (I'm a light sleeper) if I'm so noisy. :confused:

15. tone4days

tone4days Member

i have always imagined that the brain has an auto self-correlation filter that can notch out the noise made that is not an external 'threat'

16. Washburnmemphis

Washburnmemphis Member

Haven't tried it (yet) but here's a DIY solution:

17. Rayneman

Rayneman Supporting Member

I sometimes snore, and I bought two of those Z quiet things. They work for me, but they seem to cause me to drool excessively and they don't always stay in my mouth through the night. My wife says I am quiet when I use it. Of course, sometimes I'm quiet when I don't use it...not sure what my deal is. My wife snores sometimes, but I don't really care, I just go to sleep. She cannot stand any noise whatsoever so any noise I make will disrupt her sleep, or prevent her from going to sleep I guess.

18. Swain

Swain Member

I've wondered about those causing TMJ like problems. Seems like re-aligning your jaw could be problematic there. But, I just haven't done any research on this. It'll be interesting to see how you end up deciding about the usefulness of the guard.

19. Seegs

Seegs Member

Subscribed

Chow,
    Seegs

20. tone4days

tone4days Member

night 2 update:

an improvement over night 1 ... maybe because i was much more tired than usual from not having slept well the night before, i fell asleep quickly (which is unusual for me - i usually lay awake for more than 30 minutes before achieving sleep) ... did not have excessive salivation and i was able to swallow more easily during the few minutes before drifting off ... slept all the way through the night in a much more typical way - deeper / less disturbed by dreams ... my wife said she did not hear me and she too slept all the way through the night ... no jaw stiffness this morning at all ...

so far, so good ... we'll see if it keeps up tonight and over the weekend ... i cant tell if i am fighting off a little head cold or not ... if i have a stuffed up nose, this will be a kind of acid test for the device ... if i can sleep without snoring despite a stuffy nose, that will almost qualify as a miracle