1. The Rules have been updated regarding posting as a business on TGP. Thread with details here: Thread Here
    Dismiss Notice

Anti-Static Question.

Discussion in 'Luthier's Guitar & Bass Technical Discussion' started by bluesjunior, Feb 15, 2009.

1. bluesjunior

bluesjunior Member

After converting my loft to a music room I have noticed this winter that I am getting some static problems with my guitars. I thought at first it was an earthing problem but it isn't it is definitely static. I think it may have something to do with temperature changes. When I converted my loft I had the inside of the roof coated with a 2" thick insulation foam called Roofbond. I laid down 2"thick flooring and panelled the surrounding area with tongue and grooved pine panelboards. I put in electricity but didn't extend the central heating just put an electric space heater for use in the winter. This is what is causing the problem I believe. I play in the loft during the day and if it is cold I use the heater. When I am finished after switching everything off I close the insulated loft hatch and go downstairs where at this time of year we have the central heating on. Some days especially if I have not played a specific guitar for a while I have this problem with static build up in the guitar ie extra scratchy sounds when softly stroking the strings, metal hardware . What could I do to run it to earth?. I have a jumper cable with crocodile clips I use for emptying the caps in my amp could I use this and if so what would I use to run it to earth like the chassis in an amp?.

2. GuitslingerTim

GuitslingerTim Member

I have tried every method known to man to eliminate static through shielding and grounding and nothing seems to work. I will note that a Les Paul I have made no noise with covered humbuckers, but makes all kind of noise with uncovered humbuckers, so covering the pickups may help. There have been claims that wiping the trouble spots on a guitar with an anti-static dryer sheet can help the problem temporaily. Another possible solution is the use of a room humidifier to combat the dryness that causes static.

3. Somniferous

Somniferous Member

This is the reason I have gaff tape covering the two back plates on my les paul. It was the only way I could keep static from being picked up.