Antiquity Surfers, JM Rolph '64s, or Lollar Tweed?

Discussion in 'Guitars in General' started by EXP, Feb 9, 2006.

1. EXP

EXP Supporting Member

im thinking about some pups for my '67 strat. ive heard good things about the Antiquities and the Rolphs.also, i might consider mix matching, like a Lollar Tweed neck and an Antiquity Middle and Bridge and so on. which
    would be better for Hendrix?

2. OldSchool

OldSchool Senior Member

3. nek

nek Member

suhr v60lp

4. larrylover

larrylover Member

Rolphs.

I have a Strat Plus Deluxe given to me by my brother. Even though it sounded awful, particularly at volume, I will keep it forever and I wanted to improve it. I replaced the electronics including pickups. I tried Lollars. Didn't like the distorted sound the bridge or inbetween positions. I tried Duncans. Not much of an improvement over the Lace sensors. The Rolphs are wonderful. Great clean sounds. The bridge gets dirty, but not too bright. Tremendously musical.

I was going for a traditional strat sound. It sounds like from your options, you are as well. Highly recommended.

5. Tonewolf

Tonewolf Member

What Rolphs? Where do you contact him ect.:NUTS

6. Babaji

Babaji Member

Rolphs.
    He makes the best sounding strat/tele/paf style pickups that I've heard. The 56's are amazing...But so are the 64's(strat)! He can be reached at
    859-448-9463
    Bill

7. illinimax

illinimax Gold Supporting Member

I just got a Rolph early '55 tele pickup (flatpole, unpotted 7.6k) - sounds just like an old tele. Jim delivered the pickup in far less time than he quoted. Still took a little while but worth it.

8. johan

johan Member

Anyone know the email to JM Rolph?
    You have to buy direct?

9. EL34

EL34 Silver Supporting Member

Agreed...you won't find a more vintage sounding fender pickups than Jims. I really really really dig his '63 strat pickups. This tele pups are killer too.

10. Babaji

Babaji Member

It's better to call J.M. Rolph. Yes, his 63's are also very nice. He made a set of 1951's for my 51 Tele that are amazing. If you use overdrive pedals or play with hi-gain I would recommend that you have him pot them(tele bridge PU's) so they don't squeal! I didn't notice any change in tone after it was potted, only that I could play through any cranked amp or pedal and get amazing vintage tone.
    Bill

11. Relicula

Relicula Supporting Member

I have a 67 strat also that I got from another forum member, he had Jim build him a set of pickups to replace the originals which had weakened, these are hands down the best sounding strat pickups I have ever heard. :RoCkIn

12. EXP

EXP Supporting Member

Relicula, im leaning towards '64s but should i go for '67s for my '67 strat instead?

13. tonedaddy

tonedaddy Member

I am here as you are here as you are me and we are
    His email used to be:
    rewinder at cinternet dot net

14. johan

johan Member

Thanks! Yeah, got that address from some else yesterday. His site didn't work, that's why I asked. Now it's up again @ http://www.cinternet.net/~rewinder/

No reply from Jim though...

15. Zhurh

Zhurh Member

I have a set of alnico 5 surfers on my one strat. I play thru a cowtipper and only ever on the neck pup to be honest, but I am more satisfied with those surfers than any fralin or lollar I have. I like both other pups and never would send them back but those surfers sound the best to my ears. I'm waiting on some Novaks now but better judgement tells me those surfers still might be hard to beat.

Greg from Laguna beach told me to get surfers for my strat when I got the Bruno; some of the best advice I have followed on here.

16. buddastrat

buddastrat Member

What happened to the 67 strat's original pickups? Nothing at all anywhere would get you closer to Hendrix than using those? Who knows, he might'a even used them back then-ha! My '66's pickups are amazing.