Antoniotsai's guitars on ebay

Discussion in 'Guitars in General' started by jeffhef, Jul 4, 2008.

1. jeffhef

jeffhef Member

2. Austinrocks

Austinrocks Member

winning bid was $77 looks like a safe bet IMO Really beautiful guitar from the looks of it even if it aint antionis or who ever.

3. CitizenCain

CitizenCain Member

Yeah, I bought an inlaid pickguard for my LP from him for $10. Delivered as advertised.

[​IMG]

4. BigDoug1053

BigDoug1053 Supporting Member

A friend of mine has ordered several banjo necks from Antoniosai - he was pleased with the inlay quality. Dunno about the completed guitars. Let us know how good they are! :AOK

5. XKnight

XKnight Member

Looks nice for $77 plus $120 shipping to the U.S. If the quality is as good as it looks, it would cost far more if it was done stateside.

6. nitehawk55

nitehawk55 Member

For that price even if it doen't play great it's a nice wall hanger that even the wife would like :AOK

BTW , what bridge/pickup would you drop in that bottom , looks like a pretty big hole to fill .

7. The Pup

The Pup Supporting Member

8. chucke99

chucke99 Member

I've bought a couple from "Tony" and I can say that there is a direct relation between the amount of inlay on the guitar necks and the crappiness of the neck. The more inlays, the more likely the neck will be unplayable. Yes, unplayable. That's because the frets end up loose or low and pretty much unrepairable. I have an absolutely beautiful SG neck-through that is unplayable.

Having said that, I have also bought guitars with minimal neck inlay work from Tony and they are just fine. They are decent guitars, made somewhere in China, probably, that Tony's shop just does the inlay work on. The main purpose of the shop is to train people to do inlays for other things, such as furniture and the like. They just train on the guitars. The guitars themselves are stock and put together about as well as a low-end Epiphone or Ibanez. Nothing great, but nothing really wrong with them either.

Just go for one with MINIMAL neck inlay work and don't expect to be able to return the sucker if the truss rod snaps (that happened to someone I know who bought a Tony guitar too.)

Here's the SG that is unplayable:

[​IMG]

9. jeffhef

jeffhef Member

Really beautiful inlay work.

jeffhef

10. shally

shally Member

reminds me of the experience i had playing a guild flat top in a store in athens, Ga one time.
    i was just killing some time while my daughter was doing something college related and i saw this guild that was hanging onthe wall. it was some kind of special edition and just about any place they could have put
    detailing or inlay, they had..
    the owner was real anxious to sell it and he left me alone with it for quite a while. it was a DOG..
    not only was it heavy as hell, but it had no acoustic life to it... sometimes a flat top will shut down if it hasnt been played in a while.. i dont that that was the problem with this one.. it just had some much crap all over it that it had the sound muffled out of it.. it had become a piece of wall art instead of a working musical tool. i thanked the man and moved on..

there comes a point where too much is simpy Too Much... and although we are talking about solidbodies here, i would still be somewhat leary..

11. stormin1155

stormin1155 Member

I've heard some horror stories about his acoustics... the inlays damage the structural integrity and they end up warping, cracking or otherwise falling apart. Most of the reports that I've heard of his electrics are in line with Cucke99's experience.