any 10 watt tube amps out there?

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs' started by beautiful liar, Jan 23, 2012.

1. beautiful liar

beautiful liar Member

There are plenty of bedroom sized 5 watt models, and a bunch of 15 watt models. I have a Vox AC15cc1 and it hay way more volume than I'll ever use live in the small venues my bands play in.

The singer'guitarist of one of those bands is currently looking for something reasonably priced, and a ten watter would seem to fit the bill. Only I can't find any available.

Voicing would be fender or vox probably.

Any help?

2. mbargav

mbargav Member

May I ask what the hang-up is on 10 watts? A 10 watt amp really isn't going to be all that quieter than a 15 watt amp.

3. terrapin

terrapin Member

This is very true........BUT, if he wants something smaller than 15 watts that can still be "gigable" I would recommend a Princeton Reverb (12 watts).

4. Onioner

Onioner Member

Or louder than a 5w. I say it like once a week, but when shopping for an amp, wattage should be low on the list of concerns. It certainly isn't a very good indication of volume.

As it happens though, one of my current most lusted over amps is a 10 watter, the DC 10. Does a lot of tones, but not Fendery, and only slightly Voxy.

5. Structo

Structo Member

Remember that twice the power only gives you 3 decibels louder.

6. 19181911

19181911 Senior Member

Mission MA10 CB 10 watt amp

7. scmavl

scmavl Enjoyer Silver Supporting Member

Carr Mercury is 8 watts, and is switchable down lower. Fender voicing.

Princeton Reverb is always a nice amp too...

8. beautiful liar

beautiful liar Member

not really hung up on the wattage, but my 15 watt 12" amp is more than enough (and too big- the venues here are all underground and i get tired of lugging it up and down stairs), the 5 watts i've seen all have 10" speakers and aren't really enough. I'm not an electrical engineer so i split the difference.

keep educating me and thanks for the helpful responses.

9. Barnzy

Barnzy Member

If he wants 10 watts then that's what he wants...Allen Classic 10...blackface tones in a 10 watt package (and only 1 6L6 power tube...how's that for tube costs!)
    Barnzy

10. solitaire

solitaire Senior Member

The volume output of an amp is very much determined by the speakers and number of speakers.

11. stephenyi

stephenyi Member

Not sure what you consider reasonably priced but there is a very sweet Morgan 10PM for sale in the emporium.

12. thealmightycapo

thealmightycapo Member

Morgan has the 10PM and Abbey... which are 10 watt normal channel Voxy and top boost styled Voxy amps, respectively.

13. antbosca

antbosca Member

I love my Abbey. It's not that different from a 15 watt amp though. Just put an Air Brake in the AC15! They work great for between 2 and 5 db reduction. The last click starts to sound a little muffled, but otherwise there's little effect on tone.

14. beautiful liar

beautiful liar Member

Ha! It turns out that I'm live across the big water, so that basically means mass produced. His budget is around $400 and gear is substantially more expensive here. I'm having fun perving on some of these boutiques though.

Anyone willing come down a shelf or two and comment on VHT amps, Blackheart amps, or the Laney Cub series?

15. Onioner

Onioner Member

I'm just sayin', ignore the wattage and find the amp that best suits your needs. Don't assume a 10W amp is less loud than a 15W. Wattage is at best an indication of headroom, and even then, it's a fairly lousy indication.

Yes, that doesn't make your search any easier. Sorry about that.

16. wingwalker

wingwalker Fuzzy Guitars

My old Ampeg Jet puts out right 10-11 watts.

Cool amps that can be had at very reasonable prices.

Last edited: Jan 23, 2012
  17. beautiful liar

beautiful liar Member

If it's as loud as the 15 that's not a problem, but it doesn't HAVE to be that loud. The headroom might be a legitimate concern.

And most of this shopping is being done online=not many of the candidates are in the local shops-so this doesn't make things easier either.

18. treeofpain

treeofpain Silver Supporting Member

The Cygnus Lead-7 is a good choice. It takes a single power tube, and you can use a wide variety of tubes for different tones and volume output. It is cathode-biased. so you just swap the tube and play - no re-biasing needed. Mine goes from very clean to very distorted due to the dual gain preamp structure and master volume. You have bass-mid-treble tone controls for tweaking. Also has 4, 8, and 16 ohm outs, as well as a line out.

I use mine as my music room amp, but it is plenty loud enough for small gigs.

19. newi123

newi123 Member

Sounds like the issue is portability as much as watts?

Try a Laney VC15 - great small vox-ish el84 amp - two channels and reverb. 15watts into a Jensen 10 inch speaker and not too loud - but very lightweight and very portable.

Should be easily available and in budget too!

20. shredtrash

shredtrash Supporting Member

I'm gigging my Allen Classic 10 in about 2 hours. Great little amp and perfect for low-volume gigs if I need cleans or even regular gigs as longs as I don't need sparkling clean tones!